Windows 10: Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop

Discus and support Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; down votefavorite I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro I want to use ChromeOS on, in addition to Windows 10. UEFI is enabled in the BIOS. I have successfully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by deepskydiver, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop

down votefavorite

I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro I want to use ChromeOS on, in addition to Windows 10. UEFI is enabled in the BIOS.
    I have successfully installed ChromeOS (CloudReady) and then used it once. But I can't boot to it to get back to it. It seems the process didn't make the disk bootable.
    In Windows Disk Manager the Partition is set as a Primary Partition but isn't set as a Boot disk. And there is no option to.
    In the command line diskpart I cannot make it Active. I get the error:
    The selected is not a fixed MBR disk. The ACTIVE command can only be used on fixed MBR disks.
    When I select the inbuilt Lenovo boot manager I get a choice of the SATA HDD or Windows Boot Manager. Both arrive at the same place - Windows.
    How do I make the partition bootable?

down votefavorite

I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro I want to use ChromeOS on, in addition to Windows 10. UEFI is enabled in the BIOS.
    I have successfully installed ChromeOS (CloudReady) and then used it once. But I can't boot to it to get back to it. It seems the process didn't make the disk bootable.
    In Windows Disk Manager the Partition is set as a Primary Partition but isn't set as a Boot disk. And there is no option to.
    In the command line diskpart I cannot make it Active. I get the error:
    The selected is not a fixed MBR disk. The ACTIVE command can only be used on fixed MBR disks.
    When I select the inbuilt Lenovo boot manager I get a choice of the SATA HDD or Windows Boot Manager. Both arrive at the same place - Windows.
    How do I make the partition bootable?

:)

deepskydiver, Oct 1, 2018
  2. kraze Win User

Making another HDD partition bootable

The issue is as following:

I have a first HDD with its first partition set as bootable, having boot manager that includes options to load WinXP (this HDD) and Win7 (on another HDD).
    I will be replacing the first drive with a new one - so what's the trick to make Win7 HDD bootable and boot Win7 without the need to reinstall anything (way too much hassle)?

kraze, Oct 1, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 1, 2018
  4. Agility Win User

Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Oct 1, 2018
Thema:

Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop

1. Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop - Similar Threads - Making ChromeOS partition

2. Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition: When making a bootable media through the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool, it tells you that the minimum device filesize needed to create the bootable media must be at least 8 GB. If you try installing to a single volume thumbdrive with the partition occupying the whole drive,...
  3. Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition: When making a bootable media through the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool, it tells you that the minimum device filesize needed to create the bootable media must be at least 8 GB. If you try installing to a single volume thumbdrive with the partition occupying the whole drive,...
  4. Trying to make a bootable USB for a new laptop with windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to make a bootable USB for a new laptop with windows 11: Hi one and all.I'm trying to make a bootable USB for a new laptop with windows 11 but every time I try to use the download tool from Microsoft's own website, it goes round in circles trying to get me to check if my current laptop has the necessary specs for Windows 11, but...
  5. Trying to make a bootable USB for a new laptop with windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to make a bootable USB for a new laptop with windows 11: Hi one and all.I'm trying to make a bootable USB for a new laptop with windows 11 but every time I try to use the download tool from Microsoft's own website, it goes round in circles trying to get me to check if my current laptop has the necessary specs for Windows 11, but...
  6. Making a bootable clone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making a bootable clone: I want to clone my c: drive to an external hard drive and then use the external drive as a boot drive. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/making-a-bootable-clone/c1231084-ab3e-4156-a3e7-51b2959a3df4
  7. Making Laptop's Internal HDD Bootable WITHOUT FORMATTING

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making Laptop's Internal HDD Bootable WITHOUT FORMATTING: I have a SSD with bad health which is my default bootloader. I can not replace the SSD at the moment. Is it possible to make my laptop's internal HDD bootable without having to format it ?...
  8. Making a bootable flash drive with separate storage partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Making a bootable flash drive with separate storage partition?: I wanted to create a windows bootable pendrive. I have a 32 gb (around 29 gb usable space) pendrive and the windows iso is hardly 6 gb. So what I thought is if I make a 7 gb partition and keep windows bootable image there. And make the rest 22 gb separate partition for normal...
  9. Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop: down votefavorite I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro I want to use ChromeOS on, in addition to Windows 10. UEFI is enabled in the BIOS. I have successfully installed ChromeOS (CloudReady) and then used it once. But I can't boot to it to get back to it. It seems the process didn't...
  10. make bootable usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    make bootable usb: Hello I cannot make a bootable USB with the media creation tool. It gives error and corrupts the usb so I cannot use it anymore. It's already 3 of them. I have tried 2 USB port in the computer and it is the same. what to do. Thanks...