Windows 10: Making a program cold run by disabling Superfetch and Intel Optane

Discus and support Making a program cold run by disabling Superfetch and Intel Optane in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The first time I open a program on windows it is slow to load then if I close it and open it again, it's fast to load. This suggests that windows is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by desbest, Aug 18, 2021.

1. desbest Win User

Making a program cold run by disabling Superfetch and Intel Optane

The first time I open a program on windows it is slow to load then if I close it and open it again, it's fast to load. This suggests that windows is caching the frequently and recently used programs in advance to make it faster to load and run. The first run is called a cold run and the second run is called a warm run. How can I disable a specific program from opening in a warm run? I am trying to reproduce a bug on a program so it can be fixed, but if the memory for this program is going to be cached in advanced based on predictions, then the bug will be hard to reproduce, as the bug tends to be about memory usage and allocation. My laptop has Intel Optane which caches programs in the memory in advance based on predictions based on frequent and recent usage, to speed up the computer. How can I disable this for a specific program ========== I found the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management program in the Microsoft Store. After installing it I opened it and found that my laptop isn't compatible with it. However I know of a windows feature that caches programs and files you're predicted to use in the future to speed your computer making it faster. It's called Superfetch, that in Windows 10 it's been renamed SysMain. Even so, it's still colloquially referred to as Superfetch in 2021. To enable or disable it, open task manager, the services window, or computer management. Task manager has less features for managing services. Windows + X then click Task Manager, or right click the taskbar then click task manager, or use Ctrl + Alt + Del to open it You could open Computer Managment (from start menu or Windows Key + X) Entering services.msc on the run window (that appears with Windows Key + R) Search for Services on the Start Menu Once open you should see a window that looks like this. From Task Manager you can right click a service then stop it, but it will be enabled after a restart. To make sure it stays disabled (or off) after restarting your computer, you'll have to use the services window. Right click the service, click properties, then change the startup type in the general tab from "automatic" to "disabled". Don't forget to turn it back to automatic when you've finished what you aimed to do. Also you can click the stop button to stop the service. Click OK or Apply to save your settings. So it turns out that I didn't need to disable Intel Optane as my computer never had it in the first place, it was Superfetch that needed disabling. There's more information on Superfetch in Windows 10 if you search Google or Bing.

:)

desbest, Aug 18, 2021

2. Disable Superfetch permanently

Hi,

Certain programs can be disabled as long as it is on the services list. To isolate the issue, please provide the following information:

• Is Superfetch available on the list of services for your Windows 10 device?
    • Is high CPU usage for Superfetch showing even before?
    • If no, when did the issue start to occur?

Regards.

Arthur Rui, Aug 18, 2021
  3. Intel Optane message

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with Intel Optane memory software on your PC. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions
    below:

Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently?

Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?

When exactly do you receive the message?

Are you using RAID configuration on the PC?

Refer the article Which
    version of Windows operating system am I running?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you try repairing the application and see if that helps. Refer the section
    Repair apps and programs article
    Repair or remove programs in Windows 10

If repairing the program doesn’t work then you can try re-installing the application. The latest version of Intel Optane memory software can be downloaded
    from the
    Intel website

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Aug 18, 2021
  4. Making a program cold run by disabling Superfetch and Intel Optane

how to disable the writing cache when intel optane is a enable

I tried disabling the write caching from the Properties Window of my hard drive. but it didn't work. i will try disabling intel optane.

Raja Sekhar RayuduNALLURI, Aug 18, 2021
Thema:

Making a program cold run by disabling Superfetch and Intel Optane

1. Making a program cold run by disabling Superfetch and Intel Optane - Similar Threads - Making program cold

2. Superfetch service is not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Superfetch service is not running: Superfetch service is not running on server.it give me following error:But on RDP Server is running fine. Is this service relatable to any RDP Service? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-service-is-not-running/87ca5266-d9d9-46b4-9e27-f30292e7970d
  3. Superfetch service is not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Superfetch service is not running: Superfetch service is not running on server.it give me following error:But on RDP Server is running fine. Is this service relatable to any RDP Service? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-service-is-not-running/87ca5266-d9d9-46b4-9e27-f30292e7970d
  4. Can't boot after disabling intel Optane

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot after disabling intel Optane: I've disabled intel optane in the bios menu but windows doesn't boot when I do this. It gives blue screen inaccessible_boot_device.Is there any way to disable intel optane and have the system reboot without factory resetting/reinstalling windows?...
  5. Intel Optane

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Intel Optane: I recently bought new parts for my PC, the motherboard supported Intel Optane, I saw that it speeds up your HDD, so I downloaded and installed it. It said that it wasn't compatible with my HDD, so I uninstalled it. It said that I could lose data, but I didn't care because it...
  6. Intel Optane message

Intel Optane message: Could someone tell me what this message means? Intel Optanetm Memory Pinning...
  7. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. 124580
  8. Superfetch disable

Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-disable/c69f1b35-3692-45a9-a34a-093f471b6ac3
  9. Intel Optane Memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel Optane Memory: I'm waiting for an Intel Optane Memory Module to arrive. In the meantime I'm following up 3 Installation Media Preperation (Recommended Optional Step) in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...stallation.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...stallation.pdf...
  10. Disable Prefetch & Superfetch

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Prefetch & Superfetch: Howdy, I've written a code in a batch file to disable Superfetch service and some other things. But the Superfetch part does not work? Code: SC Config Superfetch Start= Disabled SC Stop Superfetch[/quote] Output >> The specified service does not exist as an installed...