Windows 10: Making a restricted user account

Discus and support Making a restricted user account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello— Recently I went on an adventure trying to mangle drive permissions attempting to restrict their access from an alternate guest account. This... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by audreyglyph, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Making a restricted user account

Hello—

Recently I went on an adventure trying to mangle drive permissions attempting to restrict their access from an alternate guest account. This caused serious problems and, bruised ego in my arms, I come to you all to request a tutorial on it from someone who actually knows things.

I wish to make a user account that will be able to run installed programs from any drive as normal. However, I want to ensure that in no way can this user account navigate to any files or folders outside of its designated User folders. Even as much as accessing the main directory of C:/ should return an Access Denied. No files anywhere on the computer should appear in any searches from this account. Effectively it should be completely separated from everything else, but for its ability to run installed programs.

How do I do this?

:)

audreyglyph, Jan 6, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Unable to set restriction for local user in Windows 10

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• How did you noticed that user is still able to access the drive?

• Did you log into the local user account and check the permission?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to restrict the user.

• In File Explorer, right click on the drive which you want to restrict.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click on Edit to change the permissions.
    • Uncheck all the permission for system.
    • Click OK and make sure the change is applied to all subfolders and files.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Making a restricted user account

Guest User Restriction

Hello.

The problem was not to create a Guest user account. Yet I created an account by the steps mentioned in that guide.

Problem is how the guest/visitor user is able to revoke the restrictions that were put by the administrator account.

I removed all access to the drive for that particular guest user from my admin account. I switch to guest user and its locked. But then without any authentication I am able to change the security settings.

Should this happen? Then how to restrict access to folder/drives for other users?

CriticalHunter, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Making a restricted user account

1. Making a restricted user account - Similar Threads - Making restricted user

2. Login is delayed by 30 minutes in time restricted user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login is delayed by 30 minutes in time restricted user account: Hello ,I have set below login time restriction to my windows 10 home edition - admin account I have only one accountI am getting permission to login only at 10:30 Am, 30 minutes delay from set time 10:00 AmI am also not getting any message indicating my login session is...
  3. Which user account on win 10 is most restrictive for kids?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which user account on win 10 is most restrictive for kids?: I need to create a user account on windows 10 so that strong parental controls can be enforced.. Specifically I want to ensure that kids can not create / use VPN, unable to install or edit new apps/extensions and have strong screen time restrictions. I have seen some...
  4. child account restrictions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    child account restrictions: Hi, I have set up an account on my PC for my child and have successfully restricted his internet access to only the list of sites that I have approved. However, on the bottom taskbar, there is a search box that returns previews of web search results, including pictures, if...
  5. Help making new user account

Help making new user account: ok so I made this new user account(through cmd prompt) for guest purposes because my default account has way too many adobe products running in the background does anyone know if its possible for my guest account to not have the adobe products installed but the default user...
  6. I want to restrict access to a drive by a local user account.

I want to restrict access to a drive by a local user account.: Below is a thread in official microsoft forum that contains the details of my question. but it is not solved there. Kindly help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/guest-user-restriction/db209dcb-df3d-4c0c-8a59-d07983f5f161 submitted by /u/tsambit...
  7. Guest User Restriction

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Guest User Restriction: Hello. I want to restrict access to a drive by a local user account. With my admin account I did Properties > Security > Remove all access for that user account. And when I switch to the other account it just shows NTFS drive and inaccessible. But within that account when I...
  8. User restrictions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User restrictions: How can I restrict a user profile from downloading programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-restrictions/701495f4-6697-427d-ad20-16d961188fa1"
  9. Parent Account Restriction

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Parent Account Restriction: I'm having an issue purchasing an application on my PC due to it requiring parent consent. My parent does not have access to his account any longer and I have no way to remove the parent account from mine. Can someone help me out with this?...
  10. Restricting Local Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restricting Local Users: Please don't mind. I know this topic does not belong to this forum but I posted this earlier in User Safety Forum and even yesterday also posted in User Safety Forum but did not receive any reply. So I thought to try in this Forum. My problem is as follows : I have two...