Windows 10: Making a Systems Image

Discus and support Making a Systems Image in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Having just updated Windows 10 V1803 86X based system to KB4462919, but am still unable to make a Systems Image on to an external HDD due to erroneous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by urchfont, Oct 10, 2018.

1. urchfont Win User

Making a Systems Image

Having just updated Windows 10 V1803 86X based system to KB4462919, but am still unable to make a Systems Image on to an external HDD due to erroneous RPC service unavailable failures. Been trying for most of Sept but to no avail. Must I resort to a Non-Microsoft backup software ?

:)

urchfont, Oct 10, 2018

2. System Image Problem

I'm getting a head start in case you get on early.

Can you post camera pics to your thread from your phone?

There will be steps later that require attention to detail and I'd feel better if I could see what's on your screen. I had to try the steps more than once when I tested the process and I'd like to avoid that on your machine.

Here's what I'd like to do for the Macrium Rescue steps later on in the process
    I'll post the the step, you'll post an picture of the Macrium screen,
    I'll echo same screen back if I see something that needs changing or I'll just say Go Ahead

When I confirm that the Macrium screen, you'll make any changes I've highlighted and THEN execute the step

Here's where you begin today's session, we'll get as far as we get and then pick up when you get back home.

Step 1: Safeguard the System Image by moving it to a new folder

1. Connect the Seagate exp drive

2. File Explorer: Navigate to the Seagate drive

3. Create a new Folder named 1_sysImage

4. Move WindowsImageBackup to 1_sysImage

Step 2: List the VHDs in the System Image

1. File Explorer: Navigate to 1_sysImage\WindowsImageBackup\machineName\Backup date-time

2. Press the Type column to sort by Type

3. Post a screen shot

Slartybart, Oct 10, 2018
  3. System Image Problem

[table][tr][td]Version[/td] [td]Date[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.05[/td] [td]8/03/2009[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.08[/td] [td]7/21/2009[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Oct 10, 2018
  4. Making a Systems Image

System Image Problem

Bill,

Could you elaborate on the Nick's Data? I've already done a Sys Img to G: drive.
    What is a Belarc Advisor audit?

Rebooting now to see if drives stay the same.

--
    Nick

caddman6425, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

Making a Systems Image

1. Making a Systems Image - Similar Threads - Making Systems Image

2. Trouble making a system image Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble making a system image Windows 10: I am trying to backup my computer using a Samsung Portable SSD T5 HD. The computer will not let me make a system image stating the following; "The drive cannot be used to store a system image because it is not formatted with NTFS". I was planning to use this device to use...
  3. make system image for Windows 10

make system image for Windows 10: I have been trying to make system image for Windows 10 Home for nearly a year now. Every time I have tried it says I can not make one in that location. I have tried using a network, USB, external hard drive, and SD card. My pc does not have a cd player/burner....
  4. Errors when making a Windows System Image

Errors when making a Windows System Image: I have been trying to make a system image for my Windows 10 PC on my 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim Portable Hard Drive, but I keep on getting this error message: [ATTACH] I was able to do it once, but now I can't. Has anyone got any ideas?...
  5. unable to make system image on W10 PRO

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    unable to make system image on W10 PRO: Many attempts to make the image backup fails. Most fails said to be error on source or target. Tested both devices and found no errors. Backups to internal HD and USB HD failed. Occasionally failure mode is just stall. I have spent days on this and am stymied and annoyed....
  6. unable to make system image on W10 PRO

in Windows 10 Support
    unable to make system image on W10 PRO: Many attempts to make the image backup fails. Most fails said to be error on source or target. Tested both devices and found no errors. Backups to internal HD and USB HD failed. Occasionally failure mode is just stall. I have spent days on this and am stymied and annoyed....
  7. Make a image

Make a image: Does win 10 have a image program built in to image the whole hard drive?? 87775
  8. External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image: When trying to create a System Image in the "Backup and Restore" facility built into Windows 10, my External 2TB Hard Drive wasn't displayed as a viable location. After doing some digging, it was found in the same utility that the Hard Drive in question was labelled as...
  9. Can I make a system image of Windows 10?

Can I make a system image of Windows 10?: The other day I thought I'd made a system image of Windows 10, which is now my OS. But, I see it says "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)". So, did I just backup my previous OS then, and not my current OS? And if so, can I make a system image of my Windows 10 OS? Thanks. 29212
  10. Cannot make system image - VSS error 12289

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot make system image - VSS error 12289: Whenever I try to create a system image or run recimg I get error 12289 and the backup fails. System protection is turned on and maximum space used is set to 20%. I have no third party backup software installed and this is a real not virtual machine. PHP Code: <Event...