Windows 10: Making All Networks Private By Default

Discus and support Making All Networks Private By Default in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I have Windows 10 and I exclusively use ethernet, I don't even have an adapter to be able to connect to a wireless network, so logically any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Fatalem, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Fatalem Win User

Making All Networks Private By Default

Hello. I have Windows 10 and I exclusively use ethernet, I don't even have an adapter to be able to connect to a wireless network, so logically any network I will ever connect to will most likely be private as I won't have ethernet access to any public networks, yet Windows regularly changes my home network from private to public, which causes issues with programs I run being unable to get past Windows Firewall. I have even set the public and private firewall settings to be the same, but it still happens unexpectedly, and when it happens, it is usually at an incredibly inconvenient time, which, under time-sensitive circumstances, is an extreme annoyance. I don't want to have to keep changing it back, especially because there is no easy option to do so that I can find, in order to do it I have to type several commands into PowerShell, so what I want to do is make it so that any network I connect to becomes private by default. I will never use a public network, so I see no reason it should assume anything I connect to is public, let alone everything, it is incredibly annoying. I can't find any answers online.

:)

Fatalem, Nov 9, 2019

2. Windows 10: How to make Private Network enabled

Hi Jeff,

To change the network from public to private or vice versa, I would suggest you to try the steps below and check:

1. Press Windows key + I to open settings.

2. Click "network and internet".

3. If you are using Ethernet, click "Ethernet" and click on the network.

4. Enable the "make this pc discoverable" option to change the network to private.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Nov 9, 2019
  3. brummyfan Win User
    Need to make network connections private

Hi,
    Do you get the second snip when you click Network and Internet? Could you be able to see the Wi-Fi listed?(second snip), if you can click the Wi-Fi network and you will see the snip in my previous post.

Making All Networks Private By Default [​IMG]

Making All Networks Private By Default [​IMG]

brummyfan, Nov 9, 2019
  4. Making All Networks Private By Default

Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

Making All Networks Private By Default

1. Making All Networks Private By Default - Similar Threads - Making Networks Private

2. How to make your Community Profile Private. Have done all it says and still not Private.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make your Community Profile Private. Have done all it says and still not Private.: Making my Community Profile PRIVATE. have done everything to make Privat yet MSN COMMUNITY will not do so.* Changed to a question & moved from Community Center....
  3. wireless network defaulting to public, unable to keep private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wireless network defaulting to public, unable to keep private: wireless network defaulting to public, unable to keep private https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wireless-network-defaulting-to-public-unable-to/0cf91919-e0c8-4f9f-b653-524df9438fdf
  4. How to make Private Network Connected

How to make Private Network Connected: Hello I’m not able to connect to the internet because my Private network says its “Not Connected”. Does anyone know how i can make it “connected”"? Thank you [IMG]...
  5. Private Network

Private Network: Can I still browse the internet if I set my network status to Private? It is currently on Public. I have a second PC that I want to be able to share files and devices. I am assuming is that sharing on public network is more problematic from a security point of view...
  6. Making a public network private

Making a public network private: I recently got a new router to increase my internet speed and every thing I've seen on the internet on how to make my network private doesn't work. This is very frustrating and I never use forums like this to help but It seems to be the only choice I have....
  7. Need to make network connections private

Need to make network connections private: Hello, I have tried for 3 hours tonight to get my computer to connect to the Internet at my dad's house and I cannot do it. I have tried many of the tings listed in other posts and no results. I am wondering If I can no longer set up new WiFi spots on my laptop at this...
  8. Private Network situation making me crazy.

Private Network situation making me crazy.: I have been working on this for a while and it is just driving me insane so I am finally looking for help. Here is the situation. I have a private (home) network connected to the Internet (Infinity) through my Linksys Model EA3500 router. All is good. Connected...
  9. Change all connected networks to private instead of public?

Change all connected networks to private instead of public?: Is there a way I can change all connected networks to private instead of public with a click-able script? The problem was that a User was connected to an open network using a VPN which then also connected showing Public. With both as Public, they could not map to a network...
  10. Public/Private network will not change - all methods not working

Public/Private network will not change - all methods not working: Can’t change a publicnetwork to a private one. Tried all posts on what to do - nothing works – remainspublic. Example – when in file explorer – try network – “error” need to makenetwork “accessible click here” which should change to private – does not work. A few weeks, ago...