Windows 10: Making Laptop Boot To External Monitor

Discus and support Making Laptop Boot To External Monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to just run my laptop as a desktop, as the screen hinges are faulty. Its a Lenovo Y410P. I know how to switch the display to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by easycowboy, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Making Laptop Boot To External Monitor

Hi,

I'm trying to just run my laptop as a desktop, as the screen hinges are faulty. Its a Lenovo Y410P. I know how to switch the display to the external monitor in the control panel settings. But I want to make it so that I can put the laptop to sleep or restart the laptop, and upon boot up have the login be displayed on the second monitor exclusively.

Currently, when the laptop is started from sleep or restarts, it will display everything only on the laptop screen. Then I have to open up the laptop, switch settings and send it to the external monitor.

Anyway to have this laptop behave just like a desktop?

Monitor is a ViewSonic VA2265smh. I'm running this via HDMI cable.

:)

easycowboy, Oct 14, 2015
  2. DanZerkle Win User

The display settings could not be saved

I had this problem with a Toshiba laptop after I moved it around and used an assortment of external monitors. The pre-boot would use the external monitor, but Windows could not. Trying to change the monitor configuration delivered this error.

The solution was to shut down the computer, disconnect the external monitor, restart the computer (using the laptop screen), shut down the computer again, re-connect the external monitor, and boot up again. After all this, it correctly used the external
    monitor.

The point was that Windows seemed to be confused about which monitor it had attached, so booting it up with no external monitor allowed it to forget that incorrect config info.

DanZerkle, Oct 14, 2015
  3. tomhoag Win User
    Only blue screen and white cursor arrow.

My Dell laptop with external monitor and windows 10 only boots up to a blue screen and a white arrow. Help.

PS: Condition is on the laptop screen and the external screen.

tomhoag, Oct 14, 2015
  4. Making Laptop Boot To External Monitor

Yes and no. The BIOS POST screen will as far as I know always show on the built in display. Have you tried pressing the Windows key *Start + the P key and selecting Second screen only? I'm not sure if it sticks on a power down or reboot though?

alphanumeric, Oct 14, 2015
  5. I just set mine to Second Screen Only, rebooted and it stuck. This is my desktop PC though running 3 monitors.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Making Laptop Boot To External Monitor

1. Making Laptop Boot To External Monitor - Similar Threads - Making Laptop Boot

2. Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in: Hello everybody I have such a problem that when I turn on my laptop without the second monitor plugged in it doesn´t turn on like it turns on but does not load anything just a black screen. But when I plug the second monitor I leave it a little time so then it works like...
  3. Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in: Hello everybody I have such a problem that when I turn on my laptop without the second monitor plugged in it doesn´t turn on like it turns on but does not load anything just a black screen. But when I plug the second monitor I leave it a little time so then it works like...
  4. Laptop not detecting external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop not detecting external monitor: I'm using a laptop with an RTX 380. I used an external monitor via Hdmi and it worked fine, until I connected a USB webcam. I was receiving a video via the camera app for about 5 seconds. After that, both monitors started flickering black and than the external monitor just...
  5. Laptop not detecting external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop not detecting external monitor: I'm using a laptop with an RTX 380. I used an external monitor via Hdmi and it worked fine, until I connected a USB webcam. I was receiving a video via the camera app for about 5 seconds. After that, both monitors started flickering black and than the external monitor just...
  6. External monitor is limited by laptop monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitor is limited by laptop monitor?: I use an external monitor for my laptop, and the display is much bigger, but the resolution is limited by the laptop. All of the icons, the taskbar, and the mouse cursor are too big for the size of the monitor, it is as if I'm just using the laptop monitor. I have an NVIDIA...
  7. External Monitor For HP Laptop ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External Monitor For HP Laptop ?: Hello, My Grandson has a 2 year old HP Laptop. Running W10. Not sure of model number, but of course can get in the future. With the at-home schooling now, thought it might be a good idea to get hime a "real" good size monitor for it. Should be better, I would imagine, than...
  8. Make Win10 treat laptop LCD screen as external monitor, possible?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Make Win10 treat laptop LCD screen as external monitor, possible?: Hello, I've been having this new issue with the latest nvidia driver update where all options from nvidia control panel were removed, except for 3D settings. Using DDU and rolling back to old versions did not fix it at all. Those settings are restored once I plug an external...
  9. Laptop External Monitor Problem

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptop External Monitor Problem: A have a HP ProBook 450 G2(2015) connected via HDMI to an external monitor LGM2762D I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10approximately two months ago Every morning when I start the laptop itappears to take approximately 20 minutes to synchronize with my externalmonitor I have...
  10. Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display: My Acer Aspire ES-15 Windows 10 laptop won't let me make my external monitor the main display. I can find the option, but the tickbox is greyed out. 98956