Windows 10: Making "list" default view for file explorer

Discus and support Making "list" default view for file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I make the file explorer always use "list" view when opening files and folders? Thanks 65271 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nate79, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Nate79 Win User

Making "list" default view for file explorer

How can I make the file explorer always use "list" view when opening files and folders?

Thanks

:)

Nate79, Sep 28, 2016
  2. Topalu Win User

File Explorer crashes when scrolling with "Content" view

I am finding that File Explorer is crashing after a search is complete and try to scroll through the list (200-500+) if the view is left in the default "Content" view. But, if the "Details" view is selected, can scroll the entire list no problem. Must
    be something with the "Content" view grid, with it's nested info, that it can't keep up with the refresh or something???

Topalu, Sep 28, 2016
  3. file explorer settings issue Windows 10.

Is it possible in file explorer view to make list the default

When I go to view it defaults to details

Les Davis

Original title: file explorer

LesDavisYH, Sep 28, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

I prefer details layout....

Open up your file explorer....for this example we'll use the "Documents" folder. Open up your documents folder, click the view tab at the top, under the layout area, move your mouse around for the layout you like...for me it's details but for you click "list" and that should do it.

Plankton, Sep 28, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Open a folder in File Explorer, click the View tab and click list in the view ribbon:

Making "list" default view for file explorer [​IMG]

Still on the View ribbon, click Options and Change folder and search options, and in the folder options view tab, click the Apply to folders button then OK, and Yes on the dialog that pops up:
    Making "list" default view for file explorer [​IMG]

Then all your file folders will look similar, until you choose a different option.

Fafhrd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Making "list" default view for file explorer - Similar Threads - Making list default

2. Change the File Explorer default view of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the File Explorer default view of files: Sorry to ask what I am sure is a simple question, but I have searched the internet, and nothing I tried works, or if it seems to work, then after I reboot, the old default return. Specifically, whenever I open Windows 10 File Explorer and click on a folder, the files are...
  3. Set default in File Explorer to List or Details View in Windows 10

Set default in File Explorer to List or Details View in Windows 10: On my computer, File Explorer in Windows 10 defaults to the icons view. That is useful sometimes, but by default, I want File Explorer to permanently open documents to List View except for Pictures. How can I set the default view to List View?By default, when I open File...
  4. Set default in File Explorer to List View in Windows 10

Set default in File Explorer to List View in Windows 10: How do you set the default windows view to list? I've seen similar posts but like other users the default list view does not seem to stick [instead details view always comes back]....
  5. Requesting default option of "List View" in all File Explorer files and documents

Requesting default option of "List View" in all File Explorer files and documents: This is a ridiculous waste of time to have to constantly re-set the view to "List". Please find a way to make the List View the default for all docs and files....
  6. "Line spacing" in File Explorer "List" View

in Windows 10 Support
    "Line spacing" in File Explorer "List" View: It seems like something changed in the past day or two to add line spacing when in List View in Explorer. Not sure if it's quite double-spacing, but there definitely is more vertical space between items now. Any idea how to reset that to the previous single-spacing? Here's...
  7. make change to default windows 10 file explorer search view

in Windows 10 Customization
    make change to default windows 10 file explorer search view: Is there a way to set the default view for the search results in file explorer without having to change it every time I use it? I would like to have the default view for the search results be "large icons" and not have to change it manually every time I use the search...
  8. How to Show Windows Explorer in List View by Default?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Show Windows Explorer in List View by Default?: Windows explorer is set by default to details view. I used a reg file to get it to change to list view but with mixed success. I want it to show list view across all folders. How do I do that? 111614
  9. Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List"

in Windows 10 Support
    Want to change File Explorer default View from "Details" to "List": Hi all, I have been searching the web for an answer to this question since first getting Windows 10 last year. I would like my File Explorer to open using the "List" view rather than the current default of "Details". I have seen many responses that reference how to change...
  10. How to make list view default for all folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make list view default for all folders?: I've tried the "Apply to folders" button in the options menu, but it does not work, newly opened folders still open with "details" view... :/ Is there another way to make "list" view the default setting for all the folders? thanks for the help 73262