Windows 10: Making my SSD the boot drive

Discus and support Making my SSD the boot drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I want to make my new SSD my boot drive and I think to do that I have to install windows 10 on it, select it as the boot drive in bios and that should... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Palmtree_, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Palmtree_ Win User

Making my SSD the boot drive

I want to make my new SSD my boot drive and I think to do that I have to install windows 10 on it, select it as the boot drive in bios and that should be it, right?

I've already formatted it so I'm not worried about that

Before I make a mistake though I wanted to get my product key for windows 10, I bought it on the microsoft store and I know that they keep logs of product keys purchased here. I tried a third party software to get it, ProduKey which seems to be reputable but windows will not allow the installation of it. I got it to install once but it wouldn't let me launch it and then it quickly removed it. It seems like microsoft just wants more money from me.

If anyone knows a way to get it that would be very helpful, the rest should be simple enough for me

Thanks!

:)

Palmtree_, Dec 23, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Dec 23, 2020
  3. SSD as Boot Drive? How?

Well, I have Windows installed on the SSD, along with the drivers and browser. Now, I'm trying to install other stuff (Steam, games, etc.), but the mechanical drive isn't showing. I'm sure I missed a step?

Chosen Juan, Dec 23, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Making my SSD the boot drive - Similar Threads - Making SSD boot

2. make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive: my new SSD is 500GB but the original hard drive is 1TB all i want to do is make my computer start faster. i did try a clean install on the SSD but i wasn't able to access all of my files and programs on the original hard drive and i had to make a new windows profile so...
  3. make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive: my new SSD is 500GB but the original hard drive is 1TB all i want to do is make my computer start faster. i did try a clean install on the SSD but i wasn't able to access all of my files and programs on the original hard drive and i had to make a new windows profile so...
  4. How to make the most of my SSD drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make the most of my SSD drive?: I have a laptop with a 120 GB SSD drive and a secondary 1TB HDD. I moved my Windows file folders (documents, images, downloads etc.) to the HDD. I read that an SSD is significantly faster than the other type of drive. So my question is whether i have to do something specific...
  5. Can I make my new SSD a boot drive without formatting the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I make my new SSD a boot drive without formatting the hard drive?: An SSD was just recently installed into my laptop and in order to make the ssd the boot drive the store clerk said that they have to format the hard drive. They said I can move important files into the ssd then format the hard drive. Is there a way for me to make the ssd a...
  6. How to make drive boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make drive boot: I recently posted a thread where I had "bricked" my PC by messing about with Acronis Disk Director 12.5. I thought I'd lost the BIOS, somehow. I hadn't. The problem now is to get the HDD to boot Win10 with that same PC. When installed, the PC shows no HDD present but, if I...
  7. How to make drive boot

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make drive boot: I recently posted a thread where I had "bricked" my PC by messing about with Acronis Disk Director 12.5. I thought I'd lost the BIOS, somehow. I hadn't. The problem now is to get the HDD to boot Win10 with that same PC. When installed, the PC shows no HDD present but, if I...
  8. Adding a second SSD and making it the primary and boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding a second SSD and making it the primary and boot drive: Unsure if this is the best place but I am trying to figure out how to best configure my storage for my Laptop. It has 2 NVMe Slots. Originally came with 500GB drive Added my own 1TB WD drive to empty NVME Slot Very little data on the original drive, most are in one...
  9. How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?: Hello, so I recently Installed windows to my new Kingston ssd and I have noticed that it does not display in my bios as the main boot drive for UEFI. So whenever I have to turn off my computer or restart it I have to press f9 boot drive selector and manually select my ssd to...
  10. want to make SSD primary boot drive and move HDD to storage.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    want to make SSD primary boot drive and move HDD to storage.: I made the mistake of using AOMEI, to decrease the size of one partition, while increasing the size of the other. Simple enough. What I hadn't counted on was: this program, apparently, is at liberty to rearrange one's drive letters! Now, even though my partitions were...