Windows 10: Making PC desktop path native to onedrive folder?

Discus and support Making PC desktop path native to onedrive folder? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi, I am using Microsoft office 365 as part of my institution package. Is it possible for the PC desktop files to natively display a folder from the... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by mystvearn, Feb 17, 2020.

1. mystvearn Win User

Making PC desktop path native to onedrive folder?

Hi, I am using Microsoft office 365 as part of my institution package. Is it possible for the PC desktop files to natively display a folder from the onedrive? I want to make all common C: locations to onedrive locations. So if anything happens, I always have everything sync online?

Previously I synced the locations so from "C:\user\username" to other places on the PC. Previously, I use syncback to syncfolders to Onedrive and other HD's. However, this step is just redundant. When you sync onedrive to the PC, you still need to specify a place on the PC. So from "C:\user\username\ onedrive". Technically, Onedrive still uses a physical place on the PC to store files.
    So what I did is that I specify which part of the onedrive to replace "My Documents", "My Pictures", "Downloads" folder in the quick access. I am having a problem specifying or replacing the Desktop folder. Is it possible to change my native desktop to display directly the desktop on the onedrive online? The only problem I see is application shortcuts. You cannot specify a shortcut to appear on the onedrive folder. Aside from that, I get full autosave function of MS files which is connected to Onedrive. If it is not possible to replace the desktop file, I will still use the same solution with syncback.

Thanks for the suggestions.

:)

mystvearn, Feb 17, 2020

2. This PC leads to the OneDrive folder.

The folders the you see on This PC are linked to your
    OneDrive
    account, therefore when you open the folder or file, the path automatically routes to OneDrive. To prevent this from happening, we suggest that you unlink your
    OneDrive account by following the steps provided in the previous post. Once you're done, you can then sign back in and change the path of your
    OneDrive folder.

NOTE: OneDrive can sync only with folders on a drive formatted with the NTFS file system, which is most commonly a hard disk drive on your computer, or an external hard disk drive. Portable storage, such as USB flash drives
    or solid state memory drives, use a different file system and won't sync with OneDrive.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Micah Bat Win User
    Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Since the only folder that has incorrect file path is the Documents folder under This PC, we would suggest you do the same steps provided above. However, do it in your Documents folder under This PC. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click This PC
    • Right-click on Documents
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location
    • Click Restore Default
    • Click Apply
    • Click OK
    Also, we would like to inform you that "winhelponline.com" is not associated with Microsoft.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Feb 17, 2020
  4. Micah Bat Win User

Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Hi,

Since changing the settings of OneDrive didn't set the auto save to "This PC" folder, we would suggest you to change the file path of your
    Documents on your Libraries folder. Changing the file path to "C:\Users\YourPCName\Documents" will use your local storage as your default folder when saving files. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click View
    • Click Navigation pane
    • Click Show libraries
    • On the Navigation pane, click Libraries folder.
    • Right-click Documents (Under the Libraries) folder.
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location tab
    • Then choose "C:\Users\YourPCName\Documents"
    • Click Set save location and then, click
      Apply
    • Click OK

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Making PC desktop path native to onedrive folder? - Similar Threads - Making desktop path

2. How to make my Desktop point to PC Desktop instead of OneDrive Desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make my Desktop point to PC Desktop instead of OneDrive Desktop?: I noticed that when I right click a desktop icon and check the path in the properties it says C:\Users\harry\OneDrive\Desktop instead of C:\Users\harry\Desktop. It is quite confusing because sometimes I store stuff on C:\Users\harrry\Desktop and then when I check the actual...
  3. How to make my Desktop point to PC Desktop instead of OneDrive Desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make my Desktop point to PC Desktop instead of OneDrive Desktop?: I noticed that when I right click a desktop icon and check the path in the properties it says C:\Users\harry\OneDrive\Desktop instead of C:\Users\harry\Desktop. It is quite confusing because sometimes I store stuff on C:\Users\harrry\Desktop and then when I check the actual...
  4. OneDrive and paths

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and paths: How come that Microsoft allows Windows to CHANGE the path given to point to anything with OneDrive, even when I have clearly added another path to my files?! How can this even be legal? I.e. I chose C:\Users\NAME\Desktop for all my downloads, but the Windows kept wanting me...
  5. OneDrive and paths

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive and paths: How come that Microsoft allows Windows to CHANGE the path given to point to anything with OneDrive, even when I have clearly added another path to my files?! How can this even be legal? I.e. I chose C:\Users\NAME\Desktop for all my downloads, but the Windows kept wanting me...
  6. OneDrive and paths

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Onedrive and making folders exempt?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Onedrive and making folders exempt?: I have some folders that windows keep wanting to use with onedrive, but if i uncheck them from the sync menu it deletes them from my pc? how do i keep a version of a folder just on my PC without onedrive backing it up? I tried to check the "always keep this on the drive"...
  8. Desktop path is actually another folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop path is actually another folder: Hi, I installed dropbox on my computer and I ended up choosing to synch all the documents of my computer on dropbox so I could access from other computers. However now all the files on my main screen shows the path location like this c:\Users\raquel\Dropbox\My...
  9. Desktop folder is in OneDrive

Desktop folder is in OneDrive: I got a new PC and going through the windows explorer I discovered that the desktop folder is placed in OneDrive subfolder rather than directly in users folder . Is there any way I can move it back to C:/Users/<User> [ATTACH]...
  10. Desktop folder in OneDrive

Desktop folder in OneDrive: I got a new laptop and going through the windows explorer I discovered that the desktop folder is placed in OneDrive subfolder rather than directly in users folder . Is there any way I can move it back to C:/Users/<User> Hope for a quick reply....