Windows 10: Making speakers/headset swappable in Windows 10 (not plugging/unplugging)

Discus and support Making speakers/headset swappable in Windows 10 (not plugging/unplugging) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have had the same issues for years. I have a nice gaming headset (Steelseries Arctis 3) and some crappy logitech Speakers. I want to be able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by copet, Sep 5, 2018.

1. copet Win User

Making speakers/headset swappable in Windows 10 (not plugging/unplugging)

Hello,

I have had the same issues for years. I have a nice gaming headset (Steelseries Arctis 3) and some crappy logitech Speakers. I want to be able to swap between the two without plugging in or unplugging them.

I've seen in the taskbar that on other computers you can switch the playback device by clicking the sound icon. My issue is that nothing gets recognized. Whatever is being 'heard' at the moment always shows up as "Speakers."

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about (My taskbar, Playback Devices, and Realtek HD Audio Manager).

Despite both speakers and headset being plugged in, I can only have it come out of the headset...

Can anyone help me set it up so I can swap between the two easily? Right now the speakers are plugged in the back, and the headset are plugged in the front port. Swapping areas does not help my headset get recognized.

:)

copet, Sep 5, 2018
  2. gdepreux Win User

Switch back to speakers not working after unplugging my headset

Hello,

Can someone explain me how is this still possible with a recent OS (Windows 10)?

Issue:

Step 1: I plug my heasdset -> the sound is switched correctly from the speakers to my headset.

Step 2: I set my computer to sleep mode.

Step 3: I unplug my headset.

Step 4: I wake up my computer. (my headset is not plugged anymore)

Result:

I have no more sound without headset, the sound output is stuck to the jack plug.

Apparently, Windows 10 doesn't check the status of the different I/Os when getting out of sleep mode. (I hope there is another reason, but if this is the case, it is a shame)

So, how do I get my speakers working again, without restarting my computer, please?

Thanks for your help.

gdepreux, Sep 5, 2018
  3. Audio playback, speakers vs headset conflict

Hey guys, first time posting here so if I'm in the wrong category, I'll make the appropriate switch.
    Anyways, so I'm running Windows 10 and have Realtek Audio manager installed. I've had no issues so far, until I recently purchased a headset for gaming. My issue is either the PC itself or Realtek will detect the headset and mic, but if my speakers are plugged in, the speakers over-ride the headset and the sound comes through them. The microphone works as expected. I cannot seem to find a way to make my headset the default playback device, or to automatically over-ride speakers when plugged in. I have to unplug the speakers for the headset to work properly.
    It's not a crippling issue, just annoying. I'd imagined both speakers and headset could be plugged in and I could disable/enable them in the Sounds menu/Realtek at leisure depending on the situation. If anyone has an idea about how to fix this it would be appreciated. Thanks guys

slipknot603, Sep 5, 2018
  4. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Making speakers/headset swappable in Windows 10 (not plugging/unplugging) :p

cadaveca, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Making speakers/headset swappable in Windows 10 (not plugging/unplugging) - Similar Threads - Making speakers headset

2. Headset not detected if unplugged

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headset not detected if unplugged: So recently I've noticed a particular issue with my laptop and my Turtle Beach headset.If I unplug my headset for any reason and then proceed to plug it back in, the laptop will not detect it. I haven't the faintest clue what is causing this as my windows 10 is up to date and...
  3. Speaker, headset or headphone is unplugged.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speaker, headset or headphone is unplugged.: Hi , I have a problem with my laptop and i hope someone could help :Here i have a ASUS TUF FX505G Model.29May 2021Sound problem started to appear on my laptop. But i manage to fix it by update driver. And I notice there are 4 Drivers under "sound , video and game controller"...
  4. No sound from speaker while headset is plugged in

No sound from speaker while headset is plugged in: My headset is plugged in to my front ports of my desktop computer. When i plug in the speakers in the back it registers that its plugged in but no matter what settings i have there is no sound. i have tried restarting, updating, activating and reactivating nothing works. BUT...
  5. Sound Error: The speaker, headset, or headphones is unplugged

Sound Error: The speaker, headset, or headphones is unplugged: My speaker and webcam worked perfectly on Monday until I installed a Windows update at 8:00 PM. After, I lost my audio which included the microphone for my webcam. So both Input and Output is "kaput!" Over the past three days, I have tried the following: Adjusted log-in...
  6. speakers not working... if any headsets plugged in it works normally

speakers not working... if any headsets plugged in it works normally: speakers dont work after upgrade to windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speakers-not-working-if-any-headsets-plugged-in-it/9d00625c-95ac-4c71-a1b6-97936e9e168a
  7. The speaker, headset or headphone is unplugged

The speaker, headset or headphone is unplugged: Since upgrading to Windows 10 some time back, I have been unable to use speakers or headphones. Audio devices simply aren't working from either the front or rear jacks. I have tried the troubleshooter which doesn't recognise any devices as being plugged in. All dirvers...
  8. emulate hot plug and unplug headset in windows OS 10

emulate hot plug and unplug headset in windows OS 10: I want to emulate hotplug and unplug headset scenario for automation purpose , I want a solution something like below , Keep headset connected always to the computer . Whenever we want to unplug the headset ,use some windows commands/utility/ etcthat will remove the...
  9. the speakers are unplugged

the speakers are unplugged: Hello every one ... I have a problem in my desktop computer The speakers/headphone doesn't appeared It always says : the speakers are unplugged But when i boot in another system ( Linux mint ) it works properly without problems ! That's meaning the problem isn't in the...
  10. The speaker,headset or headphone is unplugged. Help

The speaker,headset or headphone is unplugged. Help: So last night I was about to shut my computer down when I saw it needed to update. I let it update and it took about 30 minutes to an hour. This morning I woke up hoping to use my computer but when I started it up I noticed that there was a red x icon next to the volume...