Windows 10: Malfunctioning Key

Discus and support Malfunctioning Key in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! I have been plagued with a problem key as of late. Since the most recent update I believe. Whenever I press the Control Key, It will pull up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ChurchChristenson, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Malfunctioning Key

Hello! I have been plagued with a problem key as of late. Since the most recent update I believe.

Whenever I press the Control Key, It will pull up the Taskbar Search. This has gotten in the way of many of my programs. Any suggestions?

:)

ChurchChristenson, Jan 7, 2020

2. Specific Keyboard Keys Malfunctioning

My keyboard keys have recently been malfunctioning. Sometimes, the keys do not register at all, and sometimes, it as to be pressed and held with force to register. Only a few select keys are effected, namely the: right arrow key, \, e, g, h, and 8 and 9 on the numerical keypad.

The keyboard was the factory keyboard included with my Asus X751LD laptop.

This started after I used a Java application. It is very unlikely to be a hardware issue, as the laptop was never moved or subjected to drops. Another possible factor is I have used Autosofted Keyboard Presser.

The keys function, although with lag, after startup, but stop working within a few seconds.

I have tried the following to no avail:

• Restarting
    • Restarting in Safe Mode
    • Updating keyboard drivers in Device Manager
    • Updating Java

These sites did not help:

Does anyone know how to fix this?

(Was a pain typing this, makes me understand just how much I use the e key)

Edit:

I tested the keyboard with a Linux live CD. First time I booted, the keys will not registrar in a notepad app unless I repetitively press them around 20 times. I rebooted into Linux again, this time the keyboard worked OK, but missed keystrokes occasionally. In both situations it was the same keys as described above that were malfunctioning.

After rebooting into Windows, the keyboard functioned like the 2nd situation above (occasional missed strokes) for around 5min. Then no amount of pressing on the malfunctioning keys could make it register.

George Tian, Jan 7, 2020
  3. grschinon Win User
    Nokia N95's Keys are malfunctioning

If sweat is the cause as you seem to think then it would suggest a hardware fault rather than software.

I suggest you take/send your N95 to your nearest Nokia Care Point for evaluation.

grschinon, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Malfunctioning Key

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Malfunctioning Key

1. Malfunctioning Key - Similar Threads - Malfunctioning Key

2. Shift Key Malfunction on Lenovo Ideapad 5 Running Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift Key Malfunction on Lenovo Ideapad 5 Running Windows 11: I'm experiencing an issue with my Lenovo Ideapad 5 running Windows 11. Neither of the Shift keys on my keyboard is functioning. I've tried troubleshooting by uninstalling and updating drivers, but the problem persists. Interestingly, my on-screen keyboard does work....
  3. Shift Key Malfunction on Lenovo Ideapad 5 Running Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift Key Malfunction on Lenovo Ideapad 5 Running Windows 11: I'm experiencing an issue with my Lenovo Ideapad 5 running Windows 11. Neither of the Shift keys on my keyboard is functioning. I've tried troubleshooting by uninstalling and updating drivers, but the problem persists. Interestingly, my on-screen keyboard does work....
  4. Keys are malfunctioning since exiting a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keys are malfunctioning since exiting a game: More specifically: The Q w e r u I o p keys.Ever since I’ve exited a game, the keys are lagging when I try to input them. Sometimes it takes a while or delays on input. I tried turning off the CPu and restart. I tried cleaning my keys. And same results. Is it because my Cpu...
  5. Keys are malfunctioning since exiting a game

Keys are malfunctioning since exiting a game: More specifically: The Q w e r u I o p keys.Ever since I’ve exited a game, the keys are lagging when I try to input them. Sometimes it takes a while or delays on input. I tried turning off the CPu and restart. I tried cleaning my keys. And same results. Is it because my Cpu...
  6. Keys are malfunctioning since exiting a game

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Malfunctioning key on the key board. Need help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malfunctioning key on the key board. Need help!: Since last month one of the keys in my laptop keyboard is repeating its function again and again. It is the delete key. Whenever it occurs I cannot stop it without clicking another key more than once. It is hard for me to complete my work when this problem occurs. Whenever I...
  8. Malfunctioning key on the key board. Need help!

Malfunctioning key on the key board. Need help!: Since last month one of the keys in my laptop keyboard is repeating its function again and again. It is the delete key. Whenever it occurs I cannot stop it without clicking another key more than once. It is hard for me to complete my work when this problem occurs. Whenever I...
  9. Malfunctioning key on the key board. Need help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Malfunctioning left Ctrl key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malfunctioning left Ctrl key: I want to use my Ctrl key to process and do shortcuts when making a project. However, my left Ctrl key is giving me a problem, when I press it, it will minimize all the programs and open Cortana. Please help....