Windows 10: Malware has hijacked Windows Defender, I cant turn it on or off

Discus and support Malware has hijacked Windows Defender, I cant turn it on or off in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Recently I was infected by some kind of malware that has rendered Windows Defender unusable. I cannot turn on or off real time protection, I was able... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by IanDanger, May 14, 2019.

1. IanDanger Win User

Malware has hijacked Windows Defender, I cant turn it on or off

Recently I was infected by some kind of malware that has rendered Windows Defender unusable. I cannot turn on or off real time protection, I was able to free up its firewall settings to be able to activate those by deleting a value in regedit that should not have been there, but I cannot do so for real time protection. Short of backing up my data and completely reinstalling windows, what are my options here>?

:)

IanDanger, May 14, 2019

2. Windows Defender Fails Malware Test

Naw... I'll just stick by Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully hotfix patched (& current on that note), for now @ least, & doing what I do, to get THIS kind of security analysis score:

Malware has hijacked Windows Defender, I cant turn it on or off APKBelarcAdvisor5of10ScoreBETTERThan417Before.jpg

I never suck in virus' either! The 2 the times I thought I did, the past 15 years now? They were my own fault (running 2 antivirus once, & another I don't know WHAT caused it, or I can't recall specifics anymore) in "false positives"!

Ever since I started implementing a BOAT LOAD of things ANYONE can do, if they take 45 min. - 1 hr. running, or doing:

• BELARC advisor
    • Using some security & speed oriented .reg file hacks
    • gpedit.msc (altering various policies for better security)
    • secpol.msc (hardening default security policies)
    • lusrmgr.msc (hardening default userrights)
    • regedit.exe (registry hive ACL rights)
    • explorer.exe (NTFS rights)
    • Turning off java/javascript & ActiveX/ActiveScripting in browsers
    • Using Tcp/IP ports filtrating (easy to do in IP properties)
    • Turning off Services I do NOT use that may have holes
    • AntiVirus (AntiVir, NOD32, AVG, or Norton Corporate 10.2 edition (my favs @ least - I keep 1 resident, & one other as a 2nd opinion))
    • AntiSpyware program (I like AdAware & SpyBot + use both, 2nd opinion stuff again)
    • SEVERAL AntiRootkit programs (GMER, AVG, BitDefender, BlackLight, Rootkit Buster, Rootkit Revealer, AntiRootKit, Rootkit Hook Analyzer, Sophos - all many doctors opinions from what I feel IS the biggest threat out there now, rootkits)
    • + using a hardware NAT firewall in combination w/ a software firewall (ZoneAlarm used to be good, & the native Windows firewall isn't bad, except for noting outgoing packets)
    • Keeping up on Microsoft security patches to the OS & programs from them I use
    • Being SMART about not opening email attachments & also using TEXT or RTF as my email reading format too
    • After trimming services I do NOT use (& even the ones I don't as well, set disabled or not), I secure them ALL, per this thread:
    Securing Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 services HOW TO

• Using adbanner blocking HOSTS files (adbanners have been found to hold malicious code more than a few times the past 4-5 years now mind you)
    *HARD TO BELIEVE ON THAT NOTE OF ADBANNERS HOUSING MALWARES IN SCRIPT & MORE?

CHECK THIS, DATED TODAY 02/21/2007:

Microsoft apologises for serving malware

APC's May 2019 issue is on sale now! | TechRadar

*Smile Malware has hijacked Windows Defender, I cant turn it on or off :)

* YOU DO ALL OF THAT? Yes, You CAN be safe online & use Windows, just takes a bit of work... 1 hr. implementing it all, & maybe another 1/2 hr. testing it (like when you secure services - I did a BIG list, but not every possible service under the sun, because I have not run them ALL!)

MS ships their Operating Systems 'generic' enough to run on anything FULL FUNCTION, right outta the box... this can be its 'problem' too!

APK

P.S.=> Funny thing is though, I don't think we'll EVER be "110% solid secure" unless we go OFFLINE... @ least not for another 5 yrs. or so & then I think we'll be REALLY close @ least!

Microsoft's taking the RIGHT steps, in the RIGHT direction in their apps & OS, & so are other vendors too... this is a GREAT trend!

Heck - funny thing is? Snort turned up a security hole the other day... a program you CAN use to defend yourself... mistakes & oversights get made is all, still now even.

Today? It's the "Wild West" still, not as bad as it used to be in the earlier days/decades, but still 'risky' to an extent... still in the Stone Age guys, you'll miss these days, when they are gone... apk

Alec§taar, May 14, 2019
  3. Jaune Bel Win User
    Windows Defender was permanently disabled by a malware

Hi Robbie,

You would have to remove the malware first before you can turn on the Windows Defender again. You can use the

Malicious Software Removal Tool
    to eliminate the malware that entered your PC. Once you have removed it, you can turn Windows Defender on. You can refer to the below steps to turn on the Windows Defender:

• Select the Start button.
    • Click Settings, then select Update & Security.
    • Click Turn on Windows Defender.

To know more on how to protect your PC with Windows Defender, refer to this
    link

Let us know how it goes.

Jaune Bel, May 14, 2019
  4. Malware has hijacked Windows Defender, I cant turn it on or off

Browser hijacked by safesurfs.com Malware

After reading what you went through I would strongly suggest you read the advice of Monkey57 and try his steps. Normally

Browser hijackers
    don't show this kind of behavior and more could be going on. Normally I don't suggest Resetting your computer but in this case....

Yuri Pustjens, May 14, 2019
Thema:

Malware has hijacked Windows Defender, I cant turn it on or off

1. Malware has hijacked Windows Defender, I cant turn it on or off - Similar Threads - Malware has hijacked

2. Defender has been turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender has been turned off: I received a notice that Microsoft Defender was turned off. I did not turn it off but want to turn it back on. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-has-been-turned-off/8f3a749c-2930-41b8-9e8f-1b0da370e64b
  3. Defender has been turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender has been turned off: I received a notice that Microsoft Defender was turned off. I did not turn it off but want to turn it back on. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defender-has-been-turned-off/8f3a749c-2930-41b8-9e8f-1b0da370e64b
  4. I cant turn on windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cant turn on windows defender: help please [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/i-cant-turn-on-windows-defender/9728c641-b905-400f-9dff-6b03936c23a7
  5. Cant turn off Defender or Antimalware.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant turn off Defender or Antimalware.: I've tried all the ways on the web to turn off Defender and Antimalware. But I can't kill either application. Antimalware runs all the time taking a lot of resources....
  6. Windows Defender is turned off and i cant turn it back on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender is turned off and i cant turn it back on: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/unforgivableaf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hypkcb/windows_defender_is_turned_off_and_i_cant_turn_it/
  7. Cant turn on windows defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant turn on windows defender: Hello everyone, I downloaded the pycharm software to program in python and the windows defender blocked to install the interpeter. The program asked me to turn off manually or it can disable automaticly and i chose the 2nd one. When i was done i wanted to turn back on the...
  8. All is turned off in windows defender and cant turn it on

All is turned off in windows defender and cant turn it on: In my windows defender all is turned off and i cant turn them back on again[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/all-is-turned-off-in-windows-defender-and-cant/d820ea64-f91a-4a67-85c3-72074c7b041d
  9. Port 3389 Process Cloning Malware Turned off Defender

Port 3389 Process Cloning Malware Turned off Defender: Whatever I have is using the Terminal Services RDP vulnerability. When NLA was activated the malware tried sending a MS fax with the Authentication credentials. It clones and replaces legitimate Windows processes and it was running as System 32. Copies your windows folder,...
  10. windows defender cant turn on

windows defender cant turn on: hai, i have some problem with my windows defender, i didnt remember if i turn off my windows defender but it seems my windows defender are off. when i tried to turn it on it didnt turn like as usually, and when i try to run a quick scan (in hope it will turn on automatically)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virus hijacked avira and defender ?

2. virus has hijacked my windows defender

3. windows defender hujacked

4. windows defender has been hijacked