Windows 10: Malware named HKU?

Discus and support Malware named HKU? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; An IT professional thinks I have been hacked with a Malware named HKU. Sometimes called UNKNOWN APP, OR UNNAMED FILE. It is constantly replacing my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Doc-A6915, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Doc-A6915 Win User

Malware named HKU?

An IT professional thinks I have been hacked with a Malware named HKU. Sometimes called UNKNOWN APP, OR UNNAMED FILE. It is constantly replacing my administrative Windows ID with alternative false names. Windows, Defender, a host of firewalll programs totally miss the obvious aliases and their links to bizarree programs mostly starting with S-1-1-XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX. Is there anything in security that can stop or remove it. Windows cloud must have little or no firewall, because it aids this program by saving it and constantly reloading files I have removed. What can I do?

:)

Doc-A6915, Jul 16, 2020
  2. Le Boule Win User
    Le Boule, Jul 16, 2020
  3. hput3 Win User
    How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically

A kind of malware has somehow gotten onto my win 10 PC. What I get is a small advertisment that pops up in the bottom right on my desktop... When I turn it off (clicking the corner X). It comes back again some time later but with different content.

I haven't timed it but seems lake maybe a 1/2 hr.

I've googled extensively but all the instructions I've found, tell you to use the windows uninstaller to uninstall softonic. And maybe some manual clean up after the uninstall. But there is nothing installed with `softonic' in its name and even when the ad is running there is no process running with softonic in its name.

All the google hits appear to assume the windows uninstaller will know about softonic. Even the manual parts of some of the hits appear to assume you have been successful in unintalling it.

The instructions also suggest several free malware removal products and claim any of them will remove it.
    `Zema Anti-malware', `MalwareBytes' and `AdwCleaner'

I tried all those listed in one of the instruction sets, ran the scan but none of them found whatever is running the little softonic pop up ad.

This type of malware apparently falls into a category called a `PUP'.

I never found in the google hits what expected would be there somewhere. A list of steps to remove something like this by hand.

Can anyone here advise me?

hput3, Jul 16, 2020
  4. Boatvan Win User

Malware named HKU?

Did our Epson printer get hacked?

Another question, is this on a home network or a work network? The steps @eidairaman1 listed are always a good first step. If this is on a work network you manage, I'd be much more concerned than the home one. It is possible someone is screwing with you, but malware could also be the culprit.

Boatvan, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

Malware named HKU?

1. Malware named HKU? - Similar Threads - Malware named HKU

2. Files w/ suspicious names undetected by malware scan?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files w/ suspicious names undetected by malware scan?: I was doing a malware scan on my laptop and found files named the...
  3. Files w/ suspicious names undetected by malware scan?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files w/ suspicious names undetected by malware scan?: I was doing a malware scan on my laptop and found files named the...
  4. Kernel Event Tracing Unknown Session Name malware?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Kernel Event Tracing Unknown Session Name malware?: Can anyone identify this session "FTKcoreETWlogger"?, I have searched all over and the only FTK I can find is Forensic Tool Kit which I have never used and is not installed on my computer, thank you...
  5. Malware Alias Name Ex: Trojan.Win32.AliasQ.

Malware Alias Name Ex: Trojan.Win32.AliasQ.: Split from this thread. Hello, I have a question. For more information is this a malware or something. If this is a malware, can i get the Malware Alias Name Ex: Trojan.Win32.AliasQ. Thanks! -Gab Martin...
  6. Unable to remove a running malware named pw12-free.tmp .

Unable to remove a running malware named pw12-free.tmp .: Windows defender is unable to delete it while My Avast antivirus can't detect it even in boot time scan. I downloaded a software for disk partition but window blocked it so i didn't installed it. But after that it is running and status active is shown. I tried deleting it on...
  7. HKU\S-1-15.

HKU\S-1-15.: Alright so, I got a virus from downloading a dodgy game. realised i had a virus and formatted my pc. I wiped everything, poth my ssd and hard drive. Exactly 7 days after i format my pc these same problems come back, windows defender cant find anything though. However. While...
  8. Are there viruses or malware that create names in your contact lists. Window 10

Are there viruses or malware that create names in your contact lists. Window 10: I've just been going through my contacts in connection with an outlook.com problem and I've found some strange contact names there that I don't recognise nor do I remember putting them there. Here's an example (which I've modified of course): *** Email address is removed...
  9. my pc attacked by a malware named auto run organaizer.

my pc attacked by a malware named auto run organaizer.: my pc attacked by a malware named auto run organaizer. what should i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-pc-attacked-by-a-malware-named-auto-run/9fd7314a-b166-4e0a-b6c2-1228b30d3958
  10. HKCU and HKU registry records

in Windows 10 Support
    HKCU and HKU registry records: This is a bonehead question about the registry. Is the HKCU hive (if that's the right term) dynamically built from HKU\S-1-5-21-... records every time a user logged on? I want to make some changes to the registry records of product - copying hundreds of configuration...