Windows 10: Malwarebytes does not detect change in hosts file

Discus and support Malwarebytes does not detect change in hosts file in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I made a change in my hosts file myself, in order to block Google ads. Windows Defender immediately gave a warning. A scan with Malwarebytes free did... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PiKo, Jul 28, 2016.

1. PiKo Win User

Malwarebytes does not detect change in hosts file

I made a change in my hosts file myself, in order to block Google ads.
    Windows Defender immediately gave a warning.
    A scan with Malwarebytes free did not give any notice.
    Remarkable.

:)

2. Moplejra.exe causing high CPU usage

System is much better after running Emsisoft and Malwarebytes and am getting onscreen notices that Windows Defender has detected malware and removed it.

However Malwarebytes has detected several times something called Hijack Host which it would seem is getting through Windows Defender? How can I prevent this repeating problem?

RichardWillis1, Jul 28, 2016
  3. database of malware producing false positives or false negatives

Many months ago I communicated with Malwarebytes about a trojan that was detected by Defender that was not detected by Malwarebytes. They indicated that Microsoft Defender is likely a false positive and to wait weeks or months for Microsoft to update their
    database. To date the Defender continues to detect a trojan that is not detected by Malwarebytes.

Defender does not detect any malware on quick scans. However on full scans it detects this trojan that is not detected by Malwarebytes.

How does an end user determine whether one antivirus program is producing false positives or false negatives?

questions_, Jul 28, 2016
  4. z3r010 Win User

That's because it detects malware but not attempts to deprive internet publishers of their income.

z3r010, Jul 28, 2016
  5. Hi:

Yes, MBAM is a specialized anti-malware tool designed to protect against certain types of (non-viral) zero-hour and zero-day malware, such as trojans and rootkits.
    It is NOT an anti-virus and is not designed to replace an anti-virus or a firewall.
    The Premium version is designed to run alongside a robust anti-virus to provide complementary protection against threats often missed by the anti-virus programs.
    Hosts files modifications would be something better covered by your antivirus.

Hope this helps,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 28, 2016
  6. PiKo Win User
    I donot have problems with ads, if clearly discernible.
    I do have problems, when ads and their links are embedded in the main text and are hardly discernible from the bodytext.

7. PiKo Win User
    Thanks for this reaction. I did not realise this.

PiKo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Malwarebytes does not detect change in hosts file - Similar Threads - Malwarebytes does detect

2. Changed Hosts File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed Hosts File?: I've had Kerish Doctor https://www.kerish.org/en-us/ for a week or so and today I this this message. What should I do about it? Allow or Discard? I clicked Details and ses the empty screen on the left.For some reason I can't post any replies to my threads on this forum, I can...
  3. Changed Hosts File?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed Hosts File?: I've had Kerish Doctor https://www.kerish.org/en-us/ for a week or so and today I this this message. What should I do about it? Allow or Discard? I clicked Details and ses the empty screen on the left.For some reason I can't post any replies to my threads on this forum, I can...
  4. Changed Hosts File?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Malwarebytes not detected by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Malwarebytes not detected by Windows Defender: I have Malwarebytes installed but windows defender doesn't detect it and go into Periodic Scanning like it always has done, It just stays like it normally is, Like Above Current Threats its Suppose to List Malwarebytes but its just blank, With Malwarebytes I have the Windows...
  6. Malwarebytes not detected by Windows Defender

Malwarebytes not detected by Windows Defender: I have Malwarebytes installed but windows defender doesn't detect it and go into Periodic Scanning like it always has done, It just stays like it normally is, Like Above Current Threats its Suppose to List Malwarebytes but its just blank, With Malwarebytes I have the Windows...
  7. Malwarebytes not detected by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Malwarebytes detected Trojan.Starter in SKYPE.EXE.LNK file

Malwarebytes detected Trojan.Starter in SKYPE.EXE.LNK file: A severe Trojan threat was detected on my Laptop yesterday with Windows Defender Antivirus. The threat was quarantined and supposedly, "Removed or Restored" according to Windows Defender Antivirus. I then installed ADW Cleaner using a USB installed from an uninfected...
  9. Malwarebytes Trojan.Starter detected in SKYPE.EXE.LNK file

Malwarebytes Trojan.Starter detected in SKYPE.EXE.LNK file: A severe Trojan threat was detected on my Laptop yesterday with Windows Defender Antivirus. The threat was quarantined and supposedly, "Removed or Restored" according to Windows Defender Antivirus. I then installed ADW Cleaner using a USB installed from an uninfected...
  10. PUP Threats Detected By Malwarebytes

PUP Threats Detected By Malwarebytes: Is anyone getting the pup.price.ninja threats? I get the same 4 pup threats every time Malwarebytes scans. I also noticed that I get advertisement popups while running Chrome that I don't get running Firefox. I have popups turned off but these popups continue regardless what...