Windows 10: Malwarebytes Premium Installation Problem

Discus and support Malwarebytes Premium Installation Problem in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I had Malwarebytes Premium Installed until recently but, about 09 Sept, it seems to have become downgraded to the free version. I tried reinserting my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by A Gray, Sep 20, 2017.

1. A Gray Win User

Malwarebytes Premium Installation Problem

I had Malwarebytes Premium Installed until recently but, about 09 Sept, it seems to have become downgraded to the free version.
    I tried reinserting my Identifier and Key but these were not accepted. I then tried to reinstall the program from my Downloads folder but that has not worked either. Next I tried to uninstall everything with the intention of trying again to reinstall from my Downloads but still no joy. I keep being told I need administrator permission but when I press continue I get the same message again repeatedly and nothing uninstalls. I am at an impasse. I suspect that I will have to alter some setting in the registry but what and how I don’t know. Fortunately I created a Restore Point before I started this exercise so I could go back but then I am left with Malwarebytes Free which will not upgrade. I am running an HP desktop pc with Windows 10 and the Creator’s upgrade.
    Can anyone suggest a solution?

:)

A Gray, Sep 20, 2017

2. malwarebytes premium

What did MBAM Support have to say about this when you asked them the same question?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Sep 20, 2017
  3. malwarebytes premium

Try reinstalling Malwarebytes, that might help.

Or, if the installer includes a repair tool, use it.

MrPaperSonic, Sep 20, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Are you logged on as an administrator when you try to run the uninstall? If not, you may need to run the installer as an administrator.

5. A Gray Win User
    How do I do that? I've never had to log on before. I am the main user of the computer and I don't have a password to log on. Any time I am asked for Administrator permission I just click continue and the action proceeds

A Gray, Sep 20, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    Sounds like you're using a local account instead of a MS account which is an admin account whereas the local account is not.

A local account doesn't require a username or password to sign in.

Plankton, Sep 20, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Then your account is an administrator, if it wasn't one you'd be asked for the name and password of an admin account before you could continue.

But that doesn't mean that everything you do runs with administrator privileges. Bu default you launch applications as a standard user. Try right-clicking on the install program in your Downloads folder and select 'Run as administrator'.

8. A Gray Win User

I tried run as administrator and got the following message: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000279) Click OK to close the application

A Gray, Sep 20, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    Hi. I would try running ADWCleaner to see if there isn't something on the system preventing this from installing.
    Downloads - AdwCleaner - ToolsLib
    Then, I would download a fresh copy of MBAM from their web site and try the install.

simrick, Sep 20, 2017
  10. A Gray Win User
    Hi Simrick, OK I've downloaded and run ADWCleaner, It found a couple of PUP's which I removed. I then downloaded a fresh version of Malwarebytes, the 14 day free trial version and tried installing it but got the same message as above (i.e. the 0xc0000279 one) so still no joy.

A Gray, Sep 21, 2017
  11. torre Win User
    torre, Sep 21, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    You said you've tried uninstalling it - have you used the MBAM cleaning tool? If there is nothing "lurking" on the system preventing it from running, then maybe the clean tool will help ferret everything out so you can get a good install.
    MBAM Clean Removal Process - Malwarebytes 3 - Malwarebytes Forums
    I believe that has to be run in Safe Mode.
    Let us know how that goes.

simrick, Sep 21, 2017
  13. Bastet Win User

Bastet, Sep 21, 2017
  14. Porthos Win User
    If the above does not work please signup at the Malwarebytes forum for assistance.

Porthos, Sep 21, 2017
  15. A Gray Win User
    Many thanks to all who offered me advice. In the end the solution was relatively simple. I restored my computer to a point I had created prior to fiddling with Malwarebytes. I then was back to the free/trial version of the program. I next contacted their helpline and they kindly reset my licence key. I re-entered my details and my Premium version is now up and running again. It just points up the importance of always creating a Restore Point before making any significant changes to your computer!

A Gray, Sep 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Malwarebytes Premium Installation Problem - Similar Threads - Malwarebytes Premium Installation

2. Malwarebytes Premium protection and Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Malwarebytes Premium protection and Microsoft Defender: if I have malwarebytes premium protection with real protection and microsoft defender with real protection, does it cause performance conflicts?...
  3. Malwarebytes Premium protection and Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malwarebytes Premium protection and Microsoft Defender: if I have malwarebytes premium protection and microsoft defender, does it cause performance conflicts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malwarebytes-premium-protection-and-microsoft/8fbca401-6f1e-4f93-8e0f-efef12867487
  4. do AVG premium and Malwarebytes work well together?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    do AVG premium and Malwarebytes work well together?: Hi All,I have a Dell desktop Windows Inspiron bot in 2018 running Windows 10 and I have installed on this desktop machine AVG free and Malwarebytes. My question is that AVG free alerts me saying that my PC is cluttered and slowed down and has bad registry items, etc. They...
  5. Malwarebytes Premium protection vs Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection

Malwarebytes Premium protection vs Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection: Malwarebytes Premium Protection/Malwarebytes free edition protection has a lots of bugs more a lot than Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection Malwarebytes Premium Protection/Malwarebytes free edition protection keeps app crashing and keeps showing BSOD more a lot than Malwarebytes...
  6. Free alternative to Malwarebytes Premium?

Free alternative to Malwarebytes Premium?: Malwarebytes Premium again and again protects me from computer nasties from the web that Windows Defender simply does not. Malicious websites etc. I only have the Premium trial. I can not afford to pay for a Premium licence. Is there a free alternative to Malwarebytes...
  7. Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1 is having an updating problem

Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1 is having an updating problem: Malwarebytes not updating - Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum - Malwarebytes Forums Seems a bum update has hosed the update part of the program from the consensus on MWB Forum. Thread is flooding. I didn't bother adding anything, just following thread and waiting for the fix....
  8. Malwarebytes Premium and AVG Fee Antivirus Combo

Malwarebytes Premium and AVG Fee Antivirus Combo: My Norton Security subscription is close to expiring, and although I do like it, I'm also an experimenter. I was considering using the currently installed Windows firewall, along with Malwarebytes Premium and AVG, running together. Do you think the protection will be...
  9. O&O ShutUp10 & Malwarebytes Premium Updates

O&O ShutUp10 & Malwarebytes Premium Updates: I'm using O&O ShutUp10 to control some Win10 privacy settings. I am using the recommended settings. I noticed it is preventing Malwarebytes from updating. When I revert OOSU10 to factory default, i.e. no changes to the default Win10 environment, Malwarebytes updates fine....
  10. Windows 10 freezes with Malwarebytes Premium 3.4.4

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 freezes with Malwarebytes Premium 3.4.4: Is anyone aware of any issues caused by Malwarebytes 3.4.4 with Windows 10? Since upgrading to MB 3.4.4 upon booting up or waking up from hibernating, my Windows 10 PC often freezes. Often a hard reboot is required to resolve matters, after which everything seems alright....