Windows 10: Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script for Windows

Discus and support Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script for Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script is a batch file for Microsoft Windows devices to check and manage the Speculative Execution Protection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 6, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script for Windows

Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script is a batch file for Microsoft Windows devices to check and manage the Speculative Execution Protection status on the system.

Speculative Execution side-channel attacks are a new class of vulnerabilities that started to make waves in early 2018 when it was discovered that nearly any device was considered vulnerable.

Microsoft released a lot of patches to address certain variants, e.g. Spectre V4, or Spectre 1.1 and 1.2. Tools have been created to check a PC for patches and you may use Gibson's free InSpectre tool or scripts by Microsoft to find out if a PC is vulnerable.

Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script

Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script for Windows manage-speculative-execution-protection-settings.png

You can download the latest version of the script from Majorgeeks; just extract it after the download to get started. You can open the batch file in a plain text editor to verify that it is safe. Note that you need to run the batch file with administrative privileges.

When you run it for the first time you need to allow it to download an additional control script from the Internet. The script is needed for functionality and you cannot do anything if you don't allow it.

A list of options is displayed after the download. The following options are provided:

1. Check Speculative Execution Protection Status
    2. Enable Mitigations for Spectre Variant 2 and Meltdown.
    3. Disable Mitigations for Spectre Variant 2.
    4. AMD and ARM only: Enable Full Mitigation for Spectre variant 2.
    5. Enable Mitigations for Speculative Store Bypass, Spectre Variant 2 and Meltdown.
    6. AMD Processors only: Enable Fill Mitigation for Spectre variant 2 and Speculative Store Bypass.
    7. Enable Mitigations for Microarchitectural Data Sampling along with Spectre and Meltdown variants.
    8. Same as 7 but with Hyper-Threading disabled.
    9. Disable all Speculative Execution Protection Mitigations.
    10. Speculative Control Module Installation Menu.
    11. More Information and Reference.

A tap on 1 displays the current status of protections; it is a good idea to start here to find out which protections are already in place and which are not; this part seems to use Microsoft's script.

Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script for Windows current-protection-status.png

You may use the script to enable or disable certain protections. Note that you may need a certain Windows patch level to protect against certain attack variants.

One of the downsides of using the script is that it does not highlight if certain protections are enabled or disabled in the main menu. You need to verify the status first before you make a decision.

Closing Words

The script is certainly an advanced tool that system administrators and tech savvy users may find useful in certain situations.

Now you: how do you handle protections and mitigations?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script for Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 6, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

For some reason I only got your mention notification now. Old post but I want to reply.

No Cliff, you are not running it elevated. When run elevated, both PowerShell and PowerShell ISE show word Administrator in Titlebar:

Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script for Windows [​IMG]

You might want to edit your PS script. My PS and PS ISE nowadays run this script whenever launched:

Code:
    Code:
    If ([bool](([System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).groups -match "S-1-5-32-544"))      {      $Mode = "elevated."        }      else      {$Mode = "in normal user mode."}  Set-Location $env:USERPROFILE  $ScriptFolder = "OneDrive\PS-Scripts"  $Scripts = $env:USERPROFILE + '\' + $ScriptFolder  Write-Host  Write-Host ' PowerShell is running'$Mode  Write-Host  Write-Host ' Scripts folder ($Scripts):'  Write-Host ' ' -NoNewline  Write-Host $Scripts  Write-Host
    The script checks if I have started an elevated or a normal user mode PS and tells it to me, just to be sure:

... or:

No, see my reply to Cliff above.

Kari, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft Announcing Speculative Execution Bounty Program Launch

Source: Speculative Execution Bounty Launch MSRC

Brink, Aug 6, 2019
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,
    @Kari :

It seems you've missed some of @Cliff S 's earlier postings and screenshots were he clearly shows how he started PS as Admin. The script brings the prompt to his user profile folder, hence the confusion.

See:

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Manage Speculative Execution Settings Script for Windows - Similar Threads - Manage Speculative Execution

2. Registry Entries Reverting - Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry Entries Reverting - Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check: My VM team has run into a wall remediating a vulnerability for Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check. After applying the fix to the registry to correct, we found that the registry entries kept reverting after the server reboots. We validated that there's no GPO in...
  3. Registry Entries Reverting - Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry Entries Reverting - Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check: My VM team has run into a wall remediating a vulnerability for Windows Speculative Execution Configuration Check. After applying the fix to the registry to correct, we found that the registry entries kept reverting after the server reboots. We validated that there's no GPO in...
  4. failed to execute script

in Windows 10 Gaming
    failed to execute script: hello,i am trying to open A third party APP I have,was working fine until the other day,i get failed to execute script when I try to open it,i also have the following info connected to problem, Traceback (most recent call last): File "ATSinstaller.pyw",...
  5. Surface Guidance for speculative execution side-channel vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    Surface Guidance for speculative execution side-channel vulnerability: Surface Guidance to protect against speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities Applies to: Surface Pro 4, Surface Book, Surface Studio, Surface Pro (latest), Surface Laptop, Surface Pro with LTE Advanced, Surface Book 2 - 13 inch, Surface Book 2 - 15 inch...
  6. Microsoft Announcing Speculative Execution Bounty Program Launch

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Announcing Speculative Execution Bounty Program Launch: Today, Microsoft is announcing the launch of a limited-time bounty program for speculative execution side channel vulnerabilities. This new class of vulnerabilities was disclosed in January 2018 and represented a major advancement in the research in this field. In recognition...
  7. SQL Server Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

in Windows 10 News
    SQL Server Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities: SQL Server Guidance to protect against speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities Summary Microsoft is aware of a new publicly disclosed class of vulnerabilities referred to as “speculative execution side-channel attacks” that affect many modern processors and...
  8. Mitigating speculative execution side channel hardware vulnerabilities

in Windows 10 News
    Mitigating speculative execution side channel hardware vulnerabilities: On January 3rd, 2018, Microsoft released an advisory and security updates related to a newly discovered class of hardware vulnerabilities involving speculative execution side channels (known as Spectre and Meltdown) that affect AMD, ARM, and Intel CPUs to varying degrees. If...
  9. Windows Server Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Server Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities: Windows Server guidance to protect against speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities Summary Microsoft is aware of a new publicly disclosed class of vulnerabilities that are referred to as “speculative execution side-channel attacks” that affect many modern...
  10. Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Client Guidance against speculative execution vulnerabilities: Windows Client Guidance for IT Pros to protect against speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities Summary Microsoft is aware of a new publicly disclosed class of vulnerabilities that are called “speculative execution side-channel attacks” that affect many...