Windows 10: Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update

Discus and support Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; ABC-Update is a free program for Microsoft Windows devices to manage and control when Windows updates are delivered to computers in a network. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 8, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update

ABC-Update is a free program for Microsoft Windows devices to manage and control when Windows updates are delivered to computers in a network.

The application is available as a command line version and a graphical user interface version, and is free for use in commercial and non-commercial environments.

ABC-Update is compatible with all versions of Windows starting with Windows XP. It requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 on clients and the .NET Framework 4.5 or higher for the GUI version, and that the Microsoft Automatic Update Service is not disabled.

Tip: An alternative that works well on single PCs are Sledgehammer. If you run Windows 10, check out our guide on upgrading the Windows 10 operating system.

ABC-Update

Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update abc-update-windows-update-management.png

ABC-Update was designed to address growing frustration with the default updating behavior of the Window operating system. Automatic updates and performance issues are mentioned specifically by the developers of the application.

Administrators may list, install, or uninstall updates on a schedule or immediately, and set up actions after update installations and logging.

Administrators may run the program from any location on a Windows PC. The interface displays all relevant options on a single screen in the interface.

Admins may select the update source at the top. ABC-Update supports WSUS and MS Update; the address and port of the WSUS server may be added if WSUS is selected.

ABC-Update supports four different update related actions: list missing, list all, install, or uninstall.

• List missing: lists all updates that are available for the particular version of Windows that are not installed already.
    • List all: lists all available updates.
    • Install: install updates.
    • Uninstall: uninstall updates, works only if WSUS was used to install these updates.

The application offers options to set a desired power state after update installation or uninstallation, and whether the system should be rebooted if required.

Administrators who want even more control may configure the program to run queries for all update types or only for select types. Available update types include critical updates, Windows 10 feature upgrades, service packs, definition updates, or developer kits.

Additional options may limit updates to software or driver updates, and even find updates based on KB articles, titles, or dates.

Options to enable logging and email reports are provided as well. Administrators need to add targets for the operation to the targets field. A click on "this system" adds the current system to the process. ABC-Update attempts to query Windows Active Directory domain or forest on first start to make connected devices available for selection as well.

It is not possible to add targets directly in the form field though; a click on input opens options to select computers in the network for inclusion.

A click on Schedule starts the process. ABC-Update queries the selected update source based on the configured parameters and displays the progress in a new window.

Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update updates-on-demand.png

The application lists all client devices and their status in the window. You may click on any client PC to display detailed information.

If you selected to check for missing updates, you find all missing updates in the log next to connection and selection details.

Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update windows-updates-information.png

It is recommended to run a check for updates (without installation) first to find out more about updates before installation.

The log lists KB article IDs but no links; manual research is required to find the KB article pages.

Closing Words

ABC-Update is a powerful update management and installation program for Microsoft Windows devices. While its main purpose is the use in networks with multiple client PCs, it may be used on individual Windows PCs as well to install updates.

Now You: Do you use a third-party program to install Windows Updates?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 8, 2019

2. Windows updates...

Oh. Your "Registry" must have gotten screwed up FLY3R. If for some reason you couldn't download your updates I suppose you could go to the update site, and run throught the steps 'till it fails activation. Then you could go up to "Tools > Manage Add ons > then disable "Windows Genuine Advatage Validation Tool." Of course you should only use this method if you are having problems updating your legitamate copy of Windows XP. Perhaps do to a corrupted piece of software? *Smile Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update :)

Thermopylae_480, Jul 8, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 8, 2019
  4. Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update

Windows updates...

You cant just disable it anymore.
    djlizard.net

*Toast :toast:

wazzledoozle, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update

1. Manage Windows Updates with ABC-Update - Similar Threads - Manage Updates ABC

2. Windows Update Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Manager: Recently, I had been in a dilemma of whether or not to upgrade to Windows 11 or not. When I finally decided to stay on Windows 10 , it was late. I had already allowed to start the Windows 11 download. Now there were two problems , :-1. How to stop the ongoing update?The...
  3. Windows Update Manager not updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Manager not updating: Available updates: 2021-03 Cumulative Update for Win 10 ver. 20H2 (K8500080) Status: Down loading 0 % 2021-01 Update for Windows 10 ver. 20H2 (KB4023057) Statue: Pending install If you were in this situation, what would you do to get the Update Manager to make these updates?...
  4. Windows Update Manager not updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Manager not updating: Available updates: 2021-03 Cumulative Update for Win 10 ver. 20H2 (K8500080) Status: Down loading 0 % 2021-01 Update for Windows 10 ver. 20H2 (KB4023057) Statue: Pending install If you were in this situation, what would you do to get the Update Manager to make these updates?...
  5. Windows Update Manager not updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Manager not updating: s Available updates: · 2021-03 Cumulative Update for Win 10 ver. 20H2K8500080 Status: Down loading – 0 % · 2021-01 Update for Windows 10 ver. 20H2KB4023057 Statue: Pending install If you were faced with this situation, what would you do to get theUpdate...
  6. ABC iView App

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    ABC iView App: I am new to the windows 10 platform. Can anyone tell me if there is an App for ABC iView and where I can find it. If it makes any difference I have a Surface Pro 6. Finding Apps seems to be a nightmare. Thanks in advance....
  7. abc

in Windows 10 Customization
    abc: Does anyone know what this is all about? It keeps popping up whenever I'm typing and I can't get rid of it. It's very distracting and sometimes obliterates the words that I'm trying to type. I would be grateful for any advice on getting rid of it>[ATTACH]...
  8. ABC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ABC: helllllpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp my pc heating cpu 100% went i startup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/abc/96c262eb-09ad-478f-b8c4-beb79d4724df
  9. ABC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ABC: helllllpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp my pc heating cpu 100% went i startup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/defender_offline-protect_start-windows_10/abc/96c262eb-09ad-478f-b8c4-beb79d4724df
  10. ABC's of gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ABC's of gaming: *chuckle [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] 117866