Windows 10: Management of User Accounts in a Large Home Environment

Discus and support Management of User Accounts in a Large Home Environment in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello We have a home with many workstations. More than 10. It makes it very hard to go between each one and set the settings to the same, map network... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by zgeb, Mar 4, 2019.

1. zgeb Win User

Management of User Accounts in a Large Home Environment

Hello

We have a home with many workstations. More than 10. It makes it very hard to go between each one and set the settings to the same, map network drives, install apps, uninstall junkware.

Currently we have a Synology Nas running network shares. Currently all pcs are manually configured and set up one by one. All computers log into the same user account and have access to all files. I would like to make user accounts that would sync across pcs so that each users account can be accessed by all computers and they can save files to their "my documents" folder and it would be centrally saved on the Synology.

What it looks like I need to do is enable the AD server on the Synology and create a domain. Is this correct?

Will a domain allow me to install say, Microsoft Word on one pc then it will sync across pcs or do I still need to install on each and every pc?

:)

zgeb, Mar 4, 2019

2. Change local user account name in Windows 10

Hello!

I've just reinstalled Win10 and created a second account for my wife. Unfortunately, the login names is the mail she's registered to Microsoft.

How can I change the name.

I've read an answer to same question suggesting following:

"

Follow the steps provided below to change the username and check.

• Press Windows key + X key.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Under view, select large icons.
    • Go to User Account.
    • Click on Manage another account

"

I don't have that option in Win10.

Thanks for assistance

MichaelBar, Mar 4, 2019
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Mar 4, 2019
  4. Management of User Accounts in a Large Home Environment

removing user account

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys, select Control Panel.
    • Select User accounts.
    • Select Manage other accounts.
    • Double click on the account you want to delete and select
      Delete the account.
    • Follow the instructions and check if it helps.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

Management of User Accounts in a Large Home Environment

1. Management of User Accounts in a Large Home Environment - Similar Threads - Management User Accounts

2. user account not showing on home screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user account not showing on home screen: yesterday I needed to check a network adapter setting, the main user name I work under is not an administrator, so I switched to the admin user to check the settings. when i went to switch back my main user name, the one I have all my work stuff in, it disappeared from the...
  3. user account not showing on home screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user account not showing on home screen: yesterday I needed to check a network adapter setting, the main user name I work under is not an administrator, so I switched to the admin user to check the settings. when i went to switch back my main user name, the one I have all my work stuff in, it disappeared from the...
  4. how to reconnect user home directory to user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to reconnect user home directory to user account: I had to do a full install of Windows 10 Home on my desktop after Windows 11 issues. I had to restore my /home/users/{home directory}.My home directory was not linked or mapped to my Microsoft logon during the OS install. The home directory is there under "users" folder.is...
  5. Windows 11 - User Account Management

Windows 11 - User Account Management: My computer has two users - one with a Microsoft account and one without. Both accounts are administrator accounts.I was looking for a way to change the password for the other user non-Microsoft account but could find no option to do so. Windows 10 allowed one to do this I...
  6. Managing Other User account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Managing Other User account: I have given my son a surface to use in school and his profile was created by his school under other users. I am the administrator of the surface but I am unable to add his account to the family account neither am I able to restrict his time on the surface. Is there something...
  7. WMR Home Environment Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WMR Home Environment Backup: I recently had to re-install windows and I lost all my WMR home environment settings what decorations were placed where, etc.. I have backups of my previous installation, but I'm not sure what files I should restore.Does anyone know where WMR saves these settings, so I can...
  8. Managing multiple user accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Managing multiple user accounts: Hi, Apolgies if the question has been asked elsewhere, I have not been able to find an answer. I have recently bought a new laptop and I am struggling to understand how to best manage apications across multiple user accounts. I have created four accounts - me as organiser...
  9. User account with 'sterile environment'

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User account with 'sterile environment': Hi all! Is it possible to set up a second user account which directly loads into a specific application instead of the windows desktop? I'm trying to create a clean environment for a certain gam that is very cpu intensive, in order to minimize any background processes that...
  10. User Environment Variable

User Environment Variable: Created an User Environment variable in Environment variable page in UI. It is seen in both UI and command prompt(Using set command). After restart it is not seen in command prompt when set command is used. Please help....