Windows 10: Managing a Computer Remotely

Discus and support Managing a Computer Remotely in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I am new to this forum, and don't know anything about Windows or administration. I would like to know what I would need to do to manage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Allegheny, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Allegheny Win User

Managing a Computer Remotely

Hello. I am new to this forum, and don't know anything about Windows or administration.

I would like to know what I would need to do to manage another Windows computer remotely.

This might include the ability to changes settings on the remote machine, update software, and securing it.

:)

Allegheny, Sep 23, 2017

2. I cant access remote computer on WMI

Hi,

I want remotely manage other computer via WMI (winodows management instrumentation).

I tried configure remote computer, at this moment I have access to remote computer service, disk management, pc event log perfomance, BUT I don't have access to device manager and task scheduller, please help. All my computers is connect to domain.

EgidijusAranauskas, Sep 23, 2017
  3. How to manage and setup remote desktop

How to manage and setup remote desktop using two computer one at home and one go the go using another internet service?

OT:

Remote Desktop Connection

AaronO'Neal, Sep 23, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

The issue is that unless you use something like Teamviewer, updates are going to lock you out, since the system would have to reboot when done and will drop the connection. Securing the system is done at the machine not outside on the Wild Web. Settings are done at the machine, and really should not be done via remote connection.

bro67, Sep 23, 2017
  5. Allegheny Win User
    Not the answer I was looking for... *Sad

I thought it was pretty common for System Admins to be able to manage other machines remotely? (You certainly can do it with webservers.)

Yes, I can see times where someone would need to restart the machine, but once they do that, isn't there a practical way to be able to do things remotely?

For instance, I know someone out of state who would be interested in having full disk encryption installed on his computer, but because of the distance, I cannot do that in person.

I sure wish there was some way to do some of the things I am trying to accomplish...

Allegheny, Sep 23, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    That will be the only answer that you will get when it comes to how the behavior works when trying to do things that should be done at the machine. Unless you have a Lenovo that allows you to use their way of remote into a machine, you are still in the same boat. Trying to do encryption from a remote connection is like signing your death warrant if it is a customer's machine and something goes wrong if you cannot confirm a backup of the machine.

bro67, Sep 23, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Teamviewer is great for general remote support, but no good for activities that require a pc to be booted from a winpse environment generally.

cereberus, Sep 23, 2017
  8. Allegheny Win User

This is not going how I expected...

I feel like I am in a real bind here, and am hoping all of your Windows gurus can help me find a solution...

There are a couple of problems that I'm trying to resolve...

1.) My last accountant disappeared on my and turned out to be untrustworthy

2.) I won't let any accountant put my SSN or EIN into his software

3.) I found a CPA out of state that sounds very competent, respects my privacy/security concerns, and said he might even let me manage his computers

4.) I really want an accountant that runs FDE and take other security measures to protect my info

5.) It is *IMPOSSIBLE* to find any accountants in today's world that give a flying fajita about privacy/security - especially now that everything is being filed online, accountants are even more INSECURE with SSN/EINs

6.) Because I see this enormous audience of people who need my help making their clients data more secure, I want to try and tap into it!

7.) By data I am an IT contractor and that means I constantly move around, soit is hard for me to find a good local accountant or customers from one region. (But if I could provide security services for accountants out-of-state, then I could do much more.)

In the end, it seems to me that there are tons of IT pros who supports websites and webservers and other things "remotely". SO I guess I am not sure why I couldn't do the same.

Ironically, I am pretty handy with securing Mac computers, but I don't know much about Windows which is why I am here.

Just so it is clear...

I am a very HARD-WORKING and ETHICAL IT guy.

I am also struggling to make a living, and looking to expand my horizons by learning new things and starting a side business.

Here is hoping you guys can help me get there!

Allegheny, Sep 23, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Again if you use VNC, RDP, Teamviewer, you will end up creating problems if you are changing settings, encrypting a drive or folder, updating, because it will disconnect you. There is a way to run a Powershell script for updating outside of system, but it can disconnect you if you try to update the driver of the network adapter. If something goes wrong with changing settings, GPO, registry, you can get disconnected and not be able to gain access. If you are trying to encrypt, once again you can get disconnected and not gain access.

You have been warned already that if you try to do what you are wanting to do, you can end up signing your death warrant as we say if this is a customer's machine or if you are running as a VM and someone on the other end does not know how to fix things if you are not in the same area as the server to go fix it.

I do not care what you are or how hard you do it. I have been doing this stuff for over 35 years and I have even had to go oh crap when something went wrong and I could not go to fix it, so had someone else do it.

bro67, Sep 23, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    Since you have this thread and this one Windows 7 vs Windows 8 vs Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums talking about the same thing. If you have a mutual interest and if the accountant is asked by the Fed's and state to have a review of records and they are lost because you are wanting to do this stuff as you are mentioning in this and do not have a backup going every day. You can get fined or even lose everything if you get sued by the accountant.

Let an outside party handle his machines and let him use a trusted offsite backup to handle keeping the data secured and if anything happens to his computers, there will be a copy that he can get back online with. It does not matter what OS you are running and what he is running. Windows is Windows regardless of the GUI.

bro67, Sep 23, 2017
  11. Allegheny Win User
    I am starting to see that remote access probably wouldn't help with a lot of the things I want to do.

And you bring up some interesting points about liability on my end.

Then again, you are leaving out a couple equally important points...

1.) You assume that accountants do s*** to protect their clients' data.

2.) You are forgetting that if this (or any) accountant's IT ignorance leads to a data breach, then it is I who has another kind of liability

Yes, it makes sense to know what I am doing before I offer any of my services, but anyone who does IT work can get sued. If concern of liability was a limiting factor, then NO ONE would work in IT - especially not supporting small business owners. Right?

Allegheny, Sep 23, 2017
  12. sml156 Win User
    One way to secure your info would be to buy a computer and set it up the way you want and then mail it to him.

Or you could find an accountant that is certified with HIPPA

sml156, Sep 24, 2017
  13. Managing a Computer Remotely

I don't want to 'wade in', but just wanted to offer my viewpoint - having read the discussion thus far.

Remote system management - of any kind - inherently carries an additional risk to on-site system management. I think that is the point here that ties your respective positions together.

Like yourself, I run a technical consultancy - albeit in London. Whilst I have the capability to do remote system administration - there are times when the nature of the required work dictates that work is carried out on-site. This is a decision, on the most part, I take in order to mitigate risk and protect my ability to deliver a successful service. Likewise, there are times when the client insists that the work is carried out on-site in case something goes wrong.

Given your uncertainty around how to deal with the issues around liability, alongside providing your (potential) clients the service they need, let me outline how I do things - perhaps some of this may be useful for you to adopt/consider. My approach is broadly thus:

1. Understand the work required by the client. Naturally, in any industry, before undergoing any type of service-based work, it makes sense to be clear in what needs to be achieved. This helps with expectation-setting, but also with decision-taking about how to undertake said work.

2. Present a Statement of Work (if applicable) that specifies the work to be undertaken, the desired outcome and - perhaps most crucially, when considering your conundrum - the risk factors in play and the steps taken to mitigate them.

3. Agreement from all parties on the work to be carried out and work is scheduled in. This agreement should be undertaken once all parties are confident in the work due to take place, the expected outcomes and the level of risk involved.

4. Work is undertaken and - hopefully - everything goes to plan. If it doesn't, the SoW would normally include a back-out plan to allow you to revert back to 'the way things were' and that gives you room to breathe and deal with the outcome with the client rationally.

In a nutshell, incorporating the different elements into your SoW will ensure you feel comfortable with what you are doing. The reality is that if you can't confidently formulate the SoW - for example, if you feel the risk is too high to do it remotely - then you shouldn't be doing that work remotely.

For me, the process gives me a framework within which to rationally take decisions, whilst at the same time presenting that information to the client for review.

Ultimately, if you or your client are not happy with the work being conducted remotely, then you should do it on-site (if that mitigates the risks sufficiently). If you are able to competently present this to the client - along with the reasons why site-work is the best option - then the client can take the decision as to whether it is worth the extra cost of flying you out there to complete the work.

If they turn around and say 'OK, do it remotely - we'll take the risk' then at least you have acceptance of that extra risk from them. That being said, as a responsible operator, if you believe the risk is too high then it is your responsibility to impart that viewpoint on them, irrespective of costs. Sometimes, it may mean you lose work - but it is all part-and-parcel of the business world.

I am happy to discuss this further and would invite any questions you might have!

maconnolly, Sep 24, 2017
  14. Allegheny Win User
    Yes, I have considered that.

Interesting idea.

Allegheny, Sep 24, 2017
  15. sml156 Win User
    Another idea is to ask him what software he is using and do some research to find out if your data can be saved to a separate encrypted drive.

Or build him a Windows VM in the cloud that you both have access to.

sml156, Sep 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Managing a Computer Remotely - Similar Threads - Managing Computer Remotely

2. What is Remote Desktop? Task Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is Remote Desktop? Task Manager: Seems kind of sketchy and is located at the system32 folder. Saw it when opening task manager briefly, but it went away later and I couldn't find it again. I haven't seen it before and haven't had cpu problems with it. Is it safe?...
  3. What is Remote Desktop? Task Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is Remote Desktop? Task Manager: Seems kind of sketchy and is located at the system32 folder. Saw it when opening task manager briefly, but it went away later and I couldn't find it again. I haven't seen it before and haven't had cpu problems with it. Is it safe?...
  4. Windows Remote Management Errors

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Remote Management Errors: First off sorry if this is in the wrong section, first time posting here..I've noticed in Event Viewer under Remote Management that there are a lot of errors.I don't use any sort of Remote apps on my computer, is this something I should be worried about?I'm just on a home...
  5. Remote Computer Management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Computer Management: Hello, Working on domain Win 10 Pro systems. I am able to use Computer management on the target PC and it shows Task Scheduler, Event Log, Shared, and Users/Groups fine but when I click on Device Manager, I get the fallowing error. On my PC and the target, I have enabled...
  6. msinfo32 Remote Computer

msinfo32 Remote Computer: Hey everybody, I'd like to use the Remote Computer... feature of Microsoft Information. However, I keep getting the error "the connection to <computer name> could not be established. Check to see that the network path name is correct, that you have sufficient permission to...
  7. Cannot remote manage Windows domain computer

Cannot remote manage Windows domain computer: I don't know why I cannot manage a domain computers (Windows 10) using user that is in local admin group. I would like to power shell 'Rename-Computer' or 'Restart-Computer' but I can't. I do no want to use domain administrator for such tasks only local admins, so let say I...
  8. disk management on remote computer

disk management on remote computer: Hi, in Disk Management (W10) I don't see an option for connection to remote computer. Just wondering is it possible by another means... Thanks. 150008
  9. remote connecting a computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    remote connecting a computer: How do you remote connect 2 computers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-connecting-a-computer/4f8313df-f430-4b37-a11f-fc9c95d44d46
  10. Windows Remote Management events logged on my computer. Why?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Remote Management events logged on my computer. Why?: I was looking through the Windows 10 Event Viewer and noticed that Windows Remote Management has been logging events, even though I have never used it. Log entries include: Event ID 254 Activity Transfer Event ID 145 WSMan operation Enumeration started with resourceUri...