Windows 10: Managing SSD and HDD

Discus and support Managing SSD and HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello so I'm new to the SSD world but more so even new to having multiple drives as I usually have everything in just the 1 hdd. Only want the OS and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vellaura, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Vellaura Win User

Managing SSD and HDD

Hello so I'm new to the SSD world but more so even new to having multiple drives as I usually have everything in just the 1 hdd.

Only want the OS and chrome on the SSD since chrome won't let you choose.

So how do I go about having my desktop, programs, images, files and games on my harddrive?

For example some games and programs like adobe will have a my documents folder with stuff in it.

How can I go about managing this?

Thank you Managing SSD and HDD :)

Windows 20H2

:)

Vellaura, Feb 22, 2021

2. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 22, 2021
  3. Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Feb 22, 2021
  4. Managing SSD and HDD

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

Managing SSD and HDD

1. Managing SSD and HDD - Similar Threads - Managing SSD HDD

2. Ssd to hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd to hdd: I recently purchased a new ssd for my PC but realised the secondary slot doesn't support it gen 4. My current ssd is gen 3 and is supported by the secondary slot. However my OS and things are installed on it. If I installed the new one and moved the old to slot 2, would that...
  3. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  4. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all, I am Dizah. I recently upgraded my computer with a V-GEN SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I cloned my HDD to my SSD. I changed the boot priority 1 as my SSD and disable the boot priority 2. The restart process happened, I successfully signed in to my...
  5. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all, I am Dizah. I recently upgraded my computer with a V-GEN SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I cloned my HDD to my SSD. I changed the boot priority 1 as my SSD and disable the boot priority 2. The restart process happened, I successfully signed in to my...
  6. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all,I recently upgraded my computer with a Samsung SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I transferred my HDD to my SSD including the OS. When using the BIOS to setup my SSD as startup, I encounter a problem. So firstly, If I disable my HDD and have my boot priority...
  7. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all,I recently upgraded my computer with a Samsung SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I transferred my HDD to my SSD including the OS. When using the BIOS to setup my SSD as startup, I encounter a problem. So firstly, If I disable my HDD and have my boot priority...
  8. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot: Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm. Now, I tried to do the same thing with my...
  9. SSD showing up as HDD in device manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD showing up as HDD in device manager: Hi, I just installed a Samsung SSD 2TB drive. I already have two 2TB and 1TB SSD drives and one old Western Digital 2TB disk drive insatlled. My new SSD drive is working properly. I was able to format it and move files to it, but it shows up as a Western Digital hard...
  10. ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd and hdd: What should i buy? 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd or 500gb ssd. And if i will buy 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd and i will install win10 on the hdd, the ssd will help win10 to boot? 23715