Windows 10: Managing Windows permissions to folders via shortcut or other mea

Discus and support Managing Windows permissions to folders via shortcut or other mea in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; We have an arrangement where a File Server System in my office hosts a Master Folder which contains multiple User folders. Each User folder is Shared... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by questorfla, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Managing Windows permissions to folders via shortcut or other mea

We have an arrangement where a File Server System in my office hosts a Master Folder which contains multiple User folders. Each User folder is Shared with full permissions to the User it belongs to. Each of these User folders contains multiple Projects and permissions are such that only the User can make New projects or make changes to the ones that exist in their folder. The projects themselves Must remain inside the folder of the User they belong to.

Recently we were discussing ways to manage things in the event that a User needed help on a Project inside their folder. The User wanted to give temporary access to another User and tried to do so by sending the other user a shortcut to one of their projects. Of course, this did not work since the shortcut still does nothing to provide access rights to the Project which are inherited from the main folder.

Is there any way this could be handled other than by me adding that "helper" to the list of Users that can access that project? I could not think of any way to do it otherwise but the Users themselves would like to be able to ask for help as needed from other Users and then close the door to them once they have done what was asked.

The only way I can see to do this would be for me to temporarily add the "helper" to the list of people that had read/write permissions for that folder. But doing that would also allow the 'helper' access to all the projects inside the folder, not just the one single one that they were asked for help on.

I could go to the one project where help was requested and the 'helper' there, but once I start doing this I will forever after have to keep up with who was allowed where. Adding and removing as requested.

Is there any way for the Owner of the projects to manage their own "who is allowed access" on a 'per-project' basis without me getting involved.

:)

questorfla, Dec 19, 2019

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Dec 19, 2019
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Managing Windows permissions to folders via shortcut or other mea :)

Frogger, Dec 19, 2019
  4. Managing Windows permissions to folders via shortcut or other mea

Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Dec 19, 2019
Thema:

Managing Windows permissions to folders via shortcut or other mea

1. Managing Windows permissions to folders via shortcut or other mea - Similar Threads - Managing permissions folders

2. windows 7 pro OA MEA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 7 pro OA MEA: windows 7 pro OA MEA lisans numaram var. programı nereden indirebilirim? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-pro-oa-mea/1b706d23-b776-4fcb-91f6-a461b486aba5
  3. Folder permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder permission: Bare with me on this,A user in my org who is part of the 'employees' group needs to be the only one who can read-write a folder and its contents as he has training documentation in there that only he should be able to edit.This user is just a normal employee and has no need...
  4. Folder Permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Permissions: Good Morning,I have a question regarding folder access for users and their permissions. Say I have a folder on a server called 'Example' - within that folder are 5 subfolders named 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. If I wanted to grant access to only specific folders so user A can only...
  5. Pula mea de eroare

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Pula mea de eroare: Buna ziua, va rog sa rezolvati mizeria asta de "Your license will expire soon". Am windows-ul cumparat asa ca dece Dumnezeul lui ma spameaza cu eroarea aia in timpul meciurilor. Asta-i ceva de genul "cumpara windows-ul in mortii tai, mi se rupe ca ai treaba, cumpara-l acum"....
  6. Folder permissions

Folder permissions: Trying to troubleshoot why a security group can't get access to it. Folder is hidden. I can get to it on my admin account. Two user trying to get to it on their user accounts. User accounts are in one SG. I have added SG to folder with read, list and read &...
  7. Managing the ‘Shortcuts’ to my Folders and Documents in File Explorer

Managing the ‘Shortcuts’ to my Folders and Documents in File Explorer: I have literally hundreds of Folders, Sub-Folders, Sub-sub-Folders etc. and literally thousands of Files Documents in my Windows File Explorer. Very often I need to have the same document in more than one Folder or Sub-Folder. So what I do is create ‘Shortcuts’ of the File...
  8. Permissions on folder

Permissions on folder: Exploring a system image-I can access all folders others than Users and its sub folders. If I try to change permission using security tab get an error message- Unable to set new owner. The media is write protected. How can I get access to these folders please....
  9. crashing apps, vanishing folder permissions and shortcut program locations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    crashing apps, vanishing folder permissions and shortcut program locations: i'll start with the folder issue,, after updates the folder permission principle trusted installer or system overides any user settings (most often just wipes all permissions) to user created folders this causes any shorcuts to these folders to become redundant and sometimes...
  10. Restore opened windows via shortcut

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore opened windows via shortcut: Is it a way to restore the opened windows like they were before via a shortcut after windows restart? 38435