Windows 10: Mandatory Windows 10 update will kill off the old Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Mandatory Windows 10 update will kill off the old Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The legacy version of the Microsoft Edge, which is set to be discontinued in March, will be removed from Windows 10 with the release of Patch Tuesday... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 5, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Mandatory Windows 10 update will kill off the old Microsoft Edge

The legacy version of the Microsoft Edge, which is set to be discontinued in March, will be removed from Windows 10 with the release of Patch Tuesday updates in April.

As we reported recently, Windows 10 currently comes with three different web browsers – Legacy Edge (hidden), Chromium Edge (default), and Internet Explorer (enabled). In an attempt to reduce clutter and improve security, Microsoft is removing the older browsers from the OS.

In the technical preview builds, Microsoft has already dropped a hint that the legacy browser will be removed completely in future and users will have to use the Chromium-based Edge instead.

Microsoft has now revealed that it plans to kill off the old Edge browser when Windows 10 gets the April 2021 Patch Tuesday update.

At the moment, old Microsoft Edge is just hidden when the Chromium version is installed and users cannot remove it manually. After the April 2021 update, the old version is going away entirely and Chromium Edge is going to be installed automatically when you apply the mandatory Patch Tuesday update.

Once the mandatory patch is applied, users won’t be able to access the old Microsoft Edge, but EdgeHTML-based apps will still work.

This update will also apply to devices that have already switched to the new Chromium-based version of Edge. The update process could take longer than usual and all existing user data will be carried over to the new version during the installation process so you don’t need to worry about the data if you use any version of Edge.

These changes will begin rolling out to all users in April, but Microsoft will also allow you to test the transition process with March optional preview updates. However, this doesn’t apply to Windows 10 versions that aren’t supported, such as version 1903.

The post Mandatory Windows 10 update will kill off the old Microsoft Edge appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 5, 2021
  2. R-T-B Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Nothing is misleading about it. Updates (including drivers) ARE forced in 10, and ironically, Windows 7/8 are still supported for several years, making your post more misleading than the title.

R-T-B, Feb 5, 2021
  3. Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Waste of time. They are all growing up with G̶N̶U̶/̶Linux already... Microsoft just wants to turn the table (see mobiles).

Well, I think it explains their new childish user interface started with Windows 8... Not for serious work really. I'm just glad they realized this now.

As I love my kids, they will be severely punished if they touch a Windows powered device.

I am against this. Sad for Windows users who will have another right removed, and the sadder part is: They're paying HIGH for this. *Shadedshun :shadedshu:

Just my opinion. *Roll Eyes Mandatory Windows 10 update will kill off the old Microsoft Edge :rolleyes:

Blue-Knight, Feb 5, 2021
  4. Reefer86 Win User

Reefer86, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Mandatory Windows 10 update will kill off the old Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Mandatory update kill

2. Microsoft is not planning to kill off Windows 10 downloads (installation media)

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is not planning to kill off Windows 10 downloads (installation media): Microsoft has confirmed that it would stop selling Windows 10 product keys/licenses on February 1, which means the 31st of January would be the last day to buy a copy of the old OS. This shouldn’t be a big surprise as Windows 11 is the company’s long-term plan, and Windows 10...
  3. FS2O20 Mandatory update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FS2O20 Mandatory update: I just installed this update and it changed how all the buttons work like altitude, vertical speed. You know have to scroll with the mouse wheel to change and cannot set the height/speed like before. I can adjust the altitude but not put the botton to set it as the new...
  4. Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10: Microsoft has already confirmed it will kill off defunct web browsers in the coming months and additional details are finally available. According to updated support documentation, Internet Explorer is set to stop working next year and the browser will be retired on June 15,...
  5. Window 10 Mandatory Update FAILED

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 Mandatory Update FAILED: Microsoft pushed down a mandatory update due to my current version end of life. I pushed off the update as long as I could and then I was not given an option to extend the upgrade. I restarted my PC as indicated and came back hours later to see my PC booting and rebooting...
  6. KB5000842 improves Windows 10 File Explorer and kills old Edge browser

in Windows 10 News
    KB5000842 improves Windows 10 File Explorer and kills old Edge browser: In March, a Windows 10 version 21H1 preview update addressed several long-running problems with File Explorer, including a bug that can break search filters if you use November 2019 Update or newer. With the KB5000842 update, Microsoft has ported these fixes to Windows 10...
  7. Windows 10 21H1 update will finally kill off classic Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 21H1 update will finally kill off classic Microsoft Edge: The legacy version of Microsoft Edge codenamed ‘Spartan’ will soon be a thing of the past when Windows 10 version 21H1 update is released to the consumers in May, according to updated documents. Microsoft’s new Chromium-based Edge is the default browser in Windows 10 version...
  8. Microsoft is rolling out mandatory Windows 10 KB4589212 update again

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out mandatory Windows 10 KB4589212 update again: On March 10, 2021, Microsoft started rolling out Windows 10 KB4589212 (Intel Microcode) update to some devices again. While the update designed is for select Intel processors, it will also show up for download on AMD PCs and it cannot be skipped. If you pause the updates...
  9. Microsoft Flight Simulator Frozen on "Update Success [MANDATORY UPDATE] Mandatory updates...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Flight Simulator Frozen on "Update Success [MANDATORY UPDATE] Mandatory updates...: Anyone else having this issue? Not even getting to game launch screen. Task Manager indicates that MFS CPU usage is around 35% and power usage "Very High" I chatted to a Microsoft agent but they could only suggest that it is due to high demand on launch day....
  10. Microsoft Edge on or off?

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge on or off?: I just installed latest version of CCleaner. When I run it asks to turn off MS Edge! Edge was not running to my knowledge. Does it run in background? I did a start up of computer (after shutting down) and then copied CCleaner from USB stick to desktop and installed. No other...