Windows 10: Manual Optimization of SSD vs enabling TRIM

Discus and support Manual Optimization of SSD vs enabling TRIM in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a factory installed SSD and also a second 7200 rpm HDD. The factory default setting SATA mode for BIOS/UEFI storage controller is RAID instead... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jaguwaar20, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Manual Optimization of SSD vs enabling TRIM

I have a factory installed SSD and also a second 7200 rpm HDD. The factory default setting SATA mode for BIOS/UEFI storage controller is RAID instead of AHCI. To enable TRIM, it would require the RAID configuration to be changed to AHCI.

What looks strange after running fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify is that both
    NTFS and ReFS file systems return '0'. But next to '0' is the word (disabled) in parenthesis.
    Both file systems return the same 'mixed' results
    I ran from the elevated command -> fsuil behavior set disabledeletenotify NTFS 0 to see if this would remove the word (disabled) after a new query - No luck

I emailed Dell to ask if they could explain what I'm seeing and if TRIM is enabled or not.
    I think what they forgot maybe in the reply is my SSD's firmware possibly doesn't support the enablement of TRIM ??? I don't know what they're trying to communicate at times because of the language barrier. But they were good at deflecting the question though about the mixed results I'm seeing.

My guess is TRIM is not enabled. And whether optimization that Windows runs on schedule (say once a month) performs the same garbage collecting as TRIM does will remain a mystery until an intelligent explanation comes along.

:)

Jaguwaar20, Mar 2, 2020
  2. Surgikill Win User

SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.

Hey guys,

So I'm having an issue with my setup where none of my SSD's can be optimized. As can be seen in the screenshot all of the SSD's are greyed out for optimization and are listed as optimization not available. I made sure that DisableDeleteNotify is enabled. I also tried going into powershell trying to manually trim the drives and received errors there as well. There is also attached screenshots showing current AHCI controller drivers. Another thing to note is that defrag and optimize drives says that optimization was last run on Feb 2 for my C drive, but never run on the other drives. I'm ripping my hair out trying to figure this out. I think it might have to do with me having an AMD system.

Specs:
    Ryzen 7 2700x
    Asus ROG X470-F
    Corsiar Vengeance LPX 2x16GB RAM
    Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, 500GB
    SanDisk SSDNow 250gb
    GTX 980ti
    EVGA 850 G3 PSU
    Windows 10 1809

Manual Optimization of SSD vs enabling TRIM [​IMG]

Surgikill, Mar 2, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    SSD Optimization

Hi Jack

Microsoft don't recommend optimizing an SSD only HDD's, it is just they have not removed SSD's form the optimize list . . .

With regards to TRIM, you will not find that in a search, because it is not an application, it is a function of Windows that is turned on automatically, once Windows detects an SSD

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd and hit Enter

Paste this into Command prompt and hit Enter

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

Does that command return a 0 i

I so, trim is turned on and you are good to go . .

DaveM121, Mar 2, 2020
  4. Manual Optimization of SSD vs enabling TRIM

Windows does not Trim SSD on schedule

Why is it, that in Windows 10, I can trim an SSD manually via the optimization center, but the scheduled Trim is not happening? The SATA drive is set up as an ordinary NTFS drive, is recognized as an SSD (just as my disk drives are recognized correctly)
    and it is included in the choice of drives to optimize (daily). Windows defragments the disk drives on the daily schedule, but the calendar for SSD optimization via TRIM just starts racking up the days since the last manually stimulated occurrence. Howcomezit?

BTW, I would search Windows events for the optimization, but Microsoft forgot, for the umpteenth time, to include a full search mechanism in the Event Viewer.

Oh - with regard to categorization of this question, is this topic considered one related to devices or to storage?

%-\

ITG

ITgreybeard, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

Manual Optimization of SSD vs enabling TRIM

1. Manual Optimization of SSD vs enabling TRIM - Similar Threads - Manual Optimization SSD

2. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?OS WINDOWS 11...
  3. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?...
  4. Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?: Defrag/optimize drives defaults at once a week.Why isn't it done more frequently?Doesn't Trim reduce wear and increase performance or is there diminishing returns or some other factor?...
  5. Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?: Defrag/optimize drives defaults at once a week.Why isn't it done more frequently?Doesn't Trim reduce wear and increase performance or is there diminishing returns or some other factor?...
  6. how often should my ssd be optimized with trim questions on trim

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how often should my ssd be optimized with trim questions on trim: how often should my ssd be optimized with trim I have a ssd and a 2nd standard 7200 rpm hd. Now I defrag the hhd but and optimize the ssd. will this optimization with trim hurt the ssd How different is optimization with trim on ssd vs defrag the 7200 hd 142372
  7. ssd trim

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd trim: NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I have read articles and none show this so does this mean my trim is enabled or disabled? I think the 0 means it is enabled but it says disabled at the end. 134705
  8. Is Trim Enabled ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is Trim Enabled ?: Checking a few things I ran the command to check if Trim is enabled and got this: C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I thought if it showed 0 it meant it's enabled....
  9. SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.: Hey guys, So I'm having an issue with my setup where none of my SSD's can be optimized. As can be seen in the screenshot all of the SSD's are greyed out for optimization and are listed as optimization not available. I made sure that DisableDeleteNotify is enabled. I also...
  10. SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD optimization and TRIM unable to run on all SSD's.: Hey guys, So I'm having an issue with my setup where none of my SSD's can be optimized. As can be seen in the screenshot all of the SSD's are greyed out for optimization and are listed as optimization not available. I made sure that DisableDeleteNotify is enabled. I also...