Windows 10: Manual updates fail every time, metered connection OFF (Greyed Out)

Discus and support Manual updates fail every time, metered connection OFF (Greyed Out) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On manually running Windows updates in Windows 8 then Windows 8.1 we were getting "Metered Connection" warnings on 2 desktop computers both using E3131... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kandpeas, Aug 17, 2015.

1. kandpeas Win User

Manual updates fail every time, metered connection OFF (Greyed Out)

On manually running Windows updates in Windows 8 then Windows 8.1 we were getting "Metered Connection" warnings on 2 desktop computers both using E3131 3g Mobile Broadband USB modems, but the updates mostly downloaded and installed without too much trouble.

Now in Windows 10 we basically get the same warning but also a message telling us to connect to Wi-Fi to be able to download the updates, yep, I can see it now, packing up our towers, monitors, keyboards and mice etc. and heading to the local library to make use of their free Wi-Fi for a few minutes, you still get to manually download the updates by clicking the download button, but your history already has a failed listed, and then a successfully installed is listed and this happens "EVERY" time you do a manual update (We tend to check for updates daily as we don't leave our PC's on Overnight). As you can see in the image, our Metered Connection switch is already OFF and is greyed out anyhow so we can't tell Windows to "NOT" worry about us having a Metered connection. We have 2 x 12GB data limits (12GB Each) which are plenty for us unless we get carried away with online videos so we are not overly concerned about the size of windows updates downloads, heck, we had to fork out the 3GB's for the Windows 10 upgrade.

Basically, we're surprised that we can't find anything like this mentioned online already as there must be loads of E3131 USB modem users out there though with different carriers. If someone has a solution GREAT! if not, we just thought we'd put it out there anyway.

Manual updates fail every time, metered connection OFF (Greyed Out) [​IMG]

EDIT: It appears someone has posted a similar thread, No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband! - Windows 10 Forums

:)

kandpeas, Aug 17, 2015
  2. IanCHill Win User

Setting a WiFi connection to metered in Windows 10 / Non-Admin Account vs. Admin Acoount

I have the same problem. My description as follows:

I manage a laptop for my Dad: he's a "standard user" and I'm the Administrator. I recently upgraded the laptop from Win8 to Win10. Simple, migration, no hassles. Since he uses a 4G-to-wireless device to get the laptop onto the internet, I wanted to set the
    wireless connection to “metered”.

As an Administrator in Win10, I can set the wireless connection to a metered connection, but that setting doesn’t “stick”.
    Every time I logged in as Dad ("standard user"), the metered connection option was set "metered OFF" and greyed out, even though I had just set it to "metered" a moment previously while logged in as an Administrator.

Just like Hans, I tried logging him out then in again, multiple times. No change. I also tried rebooting the system after setting the wireless connection to metered while logged-in as Administrator. But when I logged in as him again, the laptop was still
    treating wireless as an unmetered connection (and the option was greyed out again).

Summary: The connection can be set to Metered ON (whether by another Administrator, or by Dad’s username as long as his privs are temporarily elevated to Administrator). However, once Dad's user ID is demoted to Standard user, when he logs in, the previous
    Metered ON setting is always set to metered OFF (plus the option is greyed out).

I also am really concerned about leaving my 84 year-old dad with Administrator access..... Need this fixed...

IanCHill, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Windows 10 metered connection greyed out

But on my Windows 10 (1703) Home PC, the toggle for metered connection is in the off position (as well as greyed out). And Windows Update went ahead and downloaded the feature update for the upgrade to 1709.

aannoonnyymmoouuss, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

Manual updates fail every time, metered connection OFF (Greyed Out)

1. Manual updates fail every time, metered connection OFF (Greyed Out) - Similar Threads - Manual updates fail

2. Set every new connection to metered by default.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set every new connection to metered by default.: Hello, I currently connect my PC to internet using mobile tethering from my phone. But whenever I connect it, the computer recognizes it as a new connection and numbers it appropriately. The problem is, if I forget to mark a connection as metered, Windows will suck up my...
  3. Set as metered connection setting greyed out on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Set as metered connection setting greyed out on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you notice that that the Set as metered connection setting or option is greyed out on your Windows 10 computer, and consequently, you’re unable […] This article Set as metered connection setting greyed out on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  4. Every time laptop blacks out, I have to manually power it off & turn it back on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Every time laptop blacks out, I have to manually power it off & turn it back on: Well, the title is self-explanatory. I even have a screensaver set up. Plus the battery is in good condition and has full or enough power, whatever the situation is. Regardless, it blacks out if it's idle for too long - as in I can't wake it back up by pressing a key or...
  5. 1909 Update Fails Every Time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1909 Update Fails Every Time: My laptop wants me to install the 1909 update, but it fails every time I try. It gets all the way through the configuring process, but does a hard crash before it even gets to 3% during install. For a while, my Windows was letting me shutdown my laptop without trying the...
  6. metered connection off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    metered connection off: hallo everyone may some one please help me with switching on the metered cellular data connection on, thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection-off/d30889c7-e455-4ff8-8256-af9429436734
  7. Windows updates fail every time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows updates fail every time: I'm using windows 10 version 1511 and i've been havin problems updating windows. Tried troubleshooting but it couldn't work. I also kept receiving the error code'800272ee2' when it's halfway updating. Pls help....
  8. Windows Update with Metered connection fails: Creators Update 15063.0

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update with Metered connection fails: Creators Update 15063.0: It's dejá vu all over again. *Doh The correct behaviour of windows update over a metered connection is to offer the choice to download, or wait until on a non-metered connection. [img] The initial build of the Anniversary Update broke this, it skipped offering you...
  9. Updates on a metered connection.

Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...
  10. Feature Update to Ver 1703 not working and metered connection failing

Feature Update to Ver 1703 not working and metered connection failing: My notebook is running Windows 10 Home Ver 1607 OS build 14393.1358. About a week ago, it commenced attempting to download and install feature update to version 1703. This failed and the notebook has subsequently made 15 attempts, all of which failed. My data connection is...