Windows 10: Manual Updates

Discus and support Manual Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have experienced unresolved update problems with 2 laptops running 1803, one of which has now downloaded update 1809 automatically. I see from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Polterry, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Polterry Win User

Manual Updates

I have experienced unresolved update problems with 2 laptops running 1803, one of which has now downloaded update 1809 automatically. I see from the media that there have been / are problems for many users with 1809 and I have delayed the installation in Settings. However this only works for about 4 days at a time so to prevent an installation I must continuously adjust the setting.
    I researched location of windows download files and I see under Services, Windows Update, Properties that I can change Start-up Type to manual.
    Does this permanently delay the installation of an update?
    I would like to be able to
    1. Have Windows notify me updates are available and I decide whether to download and install or
    2. Let me turn off Windows updates completely until I have researched and decided which ones I want to use.
    Can either of the above be achieved?

:)

Polterry, Dec 5, 2018
  2. haan Win User

Windows 10 Manual Updates Management

I have just installed windows 10. When windows 10 is updating (and only when its updating) there is a chance the system will randomly hang/freeze.

This is very annoying and happens often but, only when updating.

In an attempt to avoid this problem, I have decided to manually download and install updates.

To do so, I have to do the following.

1. Disable Windows 10 automatic updates.
    2. While windows 10 updates are disabled find and list all the required updates (preferable with a dependency tree of some kind)
    3. Download the required updates manually.
    4. Install the required updates manually.

I was able to figure out the steps (1) and (3) (and I'm guessing step (4) is a simple execution)

How should I go about achieving step (2)?

haan, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Dec 5, 2018
  4. Manual Updates

Vista Pre-SP1 vs. Vista SP1

I've been Windows Updating for two straight days and I finally saw SP1. If you want to troubleshoot it, follow these steps:

• Show hidden updates
    • Manually install any failed updates (google the KB_____ and install from the windows site)
    • Make sure everything in Device Manager is good to go
    I had to do step two for like 4 or 5 updates to be able to see SP1.

Any other benchmarks you guys want to see? I might try PCMark05 (I think it works on Vista).

DanishDevil, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Manual Updates

1. Manual Updates - Similar Threads - Manual Updates

2. Windows updates keeps installed old driver even after I manual Install new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updates keeps installed old driver even after I manual Install new one: I am having issue with the driver installation of Intel core.I have Intel- i7-4720HQ but when I update the driver form windows update it install the driver for 4600 gen which causes performance and screen freeze.I need to install the latest driver for the exact same gen core...
  3. Windows updates keeps installed old driver even after I manual Install new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updates keeps installed old driver even after I manual Install new one: I am having issue with the driver installation of Intel core.I have Intel- i7-4720HQ but when I update the driver form windows update it install the driver for 4600 gen which causes performance and screen freeze.I need to install the latest driver for the exact same gen core...
  4. Windows updates keeps installed old driver even after I manual Install new one

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  6. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

"KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  7. Error manually updating windows 10 to 11 due to permissions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error manually updating windows 10 to 11 due to permissions.: The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} and APPID {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97} to the user DESKTOP-OJS751Q\GENOS002 SID...
  8. Error manually updating windows 10 to 11 due to permissions.

Error manually updating windows 10 to 11 due to permissions.: The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} and APPID {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97} to the user DESKTOP-OJS751Q\GENOS002 SID...
  9. Error manually updating windows 10 to 11 due to permissions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. How do I disable automatic Windows 10 updates until I manually turn it back on

How do I disable automatic Windows 10 updates until I manually turn it back on: Hello guys I tried disabling the windows update using the services program which runs after restarting windows. I also tried using the registry editor way which didn't work. I don't want to enable metered connection. Is there any other way to disable the windows 10 update...