Windows 10: Manually Flush memory cache ?

Discus and support Manually Flush memory cache ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Anyone familiar on how to manually flush memory cache and buffers as mentioned here but this method does not work on Windows10 ? 54064 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JerometheGiraff, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Manually Flush memory cache ?

Anyone familiar on how to manually flush memory cache and buffers as mentioned here but this method does not work on Windows10 ?

:)

JerometheGiraff, Jun 21, 2016

2. how do you delete mobil update pictures off of the windows phone 7? please help

Those pictures you see in Mobile Updates are not stored on your phone...what you see are thumbnails which are stored temporarily in the phone's cache. After a while the cached files will be flushed or replace with other cached files.

If you tap on one of the thumbnails so that the full picture is displayed on the phone, the picture is displayed until you display the next picture or until you move on to another application or perform a soft reset. Then that larger picture is flushed from
    the phone's memory.

Julie fka profjulie, Jun 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer search tool not working

Please try CTRL+F5 to flush clear your Cache Memory. Delete temp and internet files. After this normally such problems are resolved. It is worth trying - - - -

Regards

Dr. Saleem Siddiqi

Saleem_Siddiqi, Jun 21, 2016
  4. shimshom Win User

Manually Flush memory cache ?

shimshom, Jun 21, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Windows 10 is fully capable of clearing memory caches and buffers when necessary or desirable, and it will do a far better job than even the most expert user. There is no benefit in attempting to do so manually and this will in fact impair performance.

The author of the statements made in the article linked to in post #1 clearly has no understanding how memory is managed in a modern operating system.

The command:
    "%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" as shown in the article linked to above does not in fact clear memory. It was never designed to do so. This is a myth that has been passed around the Internet since the early days of XP. I don't know where the idea came from as the official documentation made no mention of clearing memory. I have tried the command in XP and Windows 7 and can confirm this. Memory usage actually increased.

This explains what the command really does:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/83e1d0cb-ca82-4703-afe0-9b23d97d3df6/what-does-rundll32exe-advapi32dllprocessidletasks-do?forum=mscomops

The original Microsoft documentation is no longer available.

The command mentioned in post #2 will in fact clear memory. But this is a thoroughly BAD idea which will impair performance. Windows is fully capable of clearing unused memory when needed.

My advice would be to let Windows manage memory as it wishes. That is what the real experts do.

LMiller7, Jun 21, 2016
  6. I searched and ask because I use a few memory intensive programs and it would be extremely beneficial if I could flush the memory since there are a few minor issues in Windows, particularly screen savers that won't activate that typically would and when I do a reboot, everything works like a charm since rebooting flushes memory it's fairly obvious where the problem lies but rebooting all the time may not be needed and can be a bit of a pain. If I could do this manually it would be extremely helpful but it is mentioned that is it no helpful. There must be a advanced solution to this problem that is a fair balance.

7. LMiller7 Win User
    Rather than assuming your problems are due to a lack of free memory after closing memory intensive program it would be a good idea to check this in Task Manager. I strongly suspect that this is not the case at all.

LMiller7, Jun 21, 2016
  8. Manually Flush memory cache ?

When I close all the memory intensive programs and, for example, the screen saver continues not to activate, then it can only be a memory flush is needed, you could say one or two of the memory intensive programs is not releasing the memory even after closing but that doesn't help much if I can't do it manually in Windows.

9. LMiller7 Win User
    You are making assuumptions not supported by the evidence.

LMiller7, Jun 21, 2016
  10. There is no assumption or evidence, only a question; that is if there is a memory leak how can I retain that memory so that, such things such a the screen saver activate ?

11. LMiller7 Win User
    Memory leaks must be solved at the source. But I have seen no evidence of a memory leak.

LMiller7, Jun 21, 2016
  12. What is the cause why after using memory extensive programs, the screen saver fails to start without manually activating and only when I restart does this problem disappear ?

13. Manually Flush memory cache ?

My first go around with dual channel.... I didn't read properly so I didn't know to put them slots 1 & 3 instead of together like I had them in 1 & 2 lol. I bashed my head until I read again how to properly do it for that motherboard. *Banghead

*Roflmao2

Access Denied, Apr 4, 2018
  14. DET
    Det Win User
    Wrong.

It isn't.

I do not... I do not follow this advice.

Or as the say.... runs pending idle tasks. A long.. long description.

Each time Windows's been running for some time, I have to reboot afresh or my very tasking game will crash at some point due to low memory. I prefer clearing RAM to boost performance.

15. Berton Win User
    Ditto!!!! The intent of rebooting a system is to turn off the power to the motherboard and RAM modules momentarily to clear any lingering issues and give everything a clean start. Storage in RAM is volatile, not like hard drives and SSDs, can't be saved when power is interrupted which in turn calls for the orderly shut down process of a computer. I'm not a gamer and can run for days without rebooting with the main exception that some long-term Internet browsing may need the reboot or may work by simply using Task Manager to End Task of the involved browser. Firefox used the have available an add-in item on the toolbar that could be clicked to restart FF to clear it memory but that went away with a newer version of FF, haven't checked for it lately.

Upgrading this year-old computer from factory single-channel 8GB RAM to dual-channel 16GB RAM helps a lot.

Berton, Apr 10, 2018
Thema:

Manually Flush memory cache ?

1. Manually Flush memory cache ? - Similar Threads - Manually Flush memory

2. Flush DNS Cache Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...
  3. Flush DNS Cache Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...
  4. Does buffer cache for Hypervisor need flushing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does buffer cache for Hypervisor need flushing?: Does the buffer cache for the Hypervisor need flushing on a standalone pc running Windows 11 Pro with virtualization based security turned on. I observed the following in an Event Log entry: "Hypervisor configured mitigations for CVE-2019-11091, CVE-2018-12126,...
  5. Does buffer cache for Hypervisor need flushing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does buffer cache for Hypervisor need flushing?: Does the buffer cache for the Hypervisor need flushing on a standalone pc running Windows 11 Pro with virtualization based security turned on. I observed the following in an Event Log entry: "Hypervisor configured mitigations for CVE-2019-11091, CVE-2018-12126,...
  6. HDD cache flushing - on battery vs plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD cache flushing - on battery vs plugged in: Hi everybody, my laptop has a primary SSD and a secondary HDD. After trying all possible drivers, the best behaving one is fine when my PC is plugged in but on battery the bad HDD spindown behaviour comes back. Hence, I am trying to find at least all of the Windows 10...
  7. Shortcut to flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut to flush DNS Cache: I am trying to create a shortcut to flush my DNS cache to avoid having to open the command prompt and enter the ipconfig command each time. I have seen two methods to supposedly do this. In the first method, I create a batch file with the ipconfig.exe /flushdns command, save...
  8. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  9. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Support
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  10. Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10: How to: Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 How to Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 [img] Information A DNS (Domain Name System) resolver cache is a temporary database, maintained by Windows, that contains records of all your recent visits and attempted...