Windows 10: Manually install 20H2 prior to 21H1 - possible?

Discus and support Manually install 20H2 prior to 21H1 - possible? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all - I procrastinate installing major updates to my systems, and I finally installed 20H2 on my desktop a few weeks ago. However, I was just about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by UsualNoise, May 20, 2021.

1. Manually install 20H2 prior to 21H1 - possible?

Hi all - I procrastinate installing major updates to my systems, and I finally installed 20H2 on my desktop a few weeks ago. However, I was just about to install 20H2 on my laptop and saw it is no longer available (only 21H1 in Windows Update). I found a manual download of a 20H2 .msu file that matched my system (x64) (last file listed here) but that would not install, giving me a "not applicable to your computer" error. Is it simply too late to install 20H2 now that 21H1 is officially released? I'd much rather update to a build I've already used first, but I guess I can just wait another couple months and go straight to 21H1. I'm currently on Win 10 Pro 2004 x64.

:)

UsualNoise, May 20, 2021
  2. magilla Win User

Windows 21H1 Im confused

Did you run the enablement package dated December 8?

magilla, May 20, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Should I update to 20H2 or wait for 21H1?

Welcome to Ten Forums.

To go from 1909 to the next version, whether that's 20H2 or 21H1, is a major feature update that will install new system files and save your old system to a Windows.old folder. This can take up to an hour to install, whether you go for 20H1 or wait for 21H2.

The update from 20H1 to 21H2 however will then be a minor feature update, a small enablement package that turns on dormant features and installs in a few minutes, just like a cumulative update. I'd go for 20H2 now, the update to 21H1 will then be quick when it's released - plus it will be optional so you can wait to see if others report problems before deciding to update.

With any major upgrade, it is a wise precaution to make a system image of your current system before you start. Many here use Macrium Reflect Free for that purpose.

4. imanalien Win User

Manually install 20H2 prior to 21H1 - possible?

KB5000736 Windows 10 Insider Beta Channel Build 19043.844 (21H1) Insider

Im on windows 10 pro 2004 insider Dev Channel build 21313.rs.prerelease.210209-1440.
    How do I upgrade to version 21H1 without losing all my files and installed programs etc?
    Do I have to upgrade in steps? Going from 2004 to 20H2 then to 21H1 or..?
    I have NO updates in my windows update settings being offered now or in the past and I have been in the Insider program for at least 3 months now..it justs keeps updating my 2004 version with new builds..Not upgrading me to 20H2 or 21H1. Please let me know the easiest way to do this or if in your Opinion I should just stick with 2004. I really like to be on the Latest version of Windows possible. Ty.

imanalien, May 20, 2021
Thema:

Manually install 20H2 prior to 21H1 - possible?

1. Manually install 20H2 prior to 21H1 - possible? - Similar Threads - Manually install 20H2

2. Need to manually download and install Display Driver for Windows 10 21h1.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to manually download and install Display Driver for Windows 10 21h1.: Hello, I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 21h1, I need to download and install the display Driver. The hardware for the Display driver is Intel HD Graphics.Can someone send me the link to download the Latest Driver, and also show me how to install the...
  3. Manual Update Possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Manual Update Possible?: I just checked my desktop computer. The Windows Update shows 2 Updates. One says STATUS: Pending Install. The other says STATUS: Installation 100%. Its been sitting like this for 2 days. Anyway to get it to install when I want it? Like "press here to install now" button? 183849
  4. Manual Update Possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Manual Update Possible?: I just checked my desktop computer. The Windows Update shows 2 Updates. One says STATUS: Pending Install. The other says STATUS: Installation 100%. Its been sitting like this for 2 days. Anyway to get it to install when I want it? Like "press here to install now" button? 183849
  5. Windows 10 Version 20H2 will not install the 21H1 update 0x80004005.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 will not install the 21H1 update 0x80004005.: I have done most of the troubleshooting steps:1 Clear Software Distribution Folder2 Delete Temp files, Clean up Recycle and System files3 Ensure that jscript.dll and vbscript.dll are registered4 Added Key LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy for 64-bit systems to "1"5 Run the...
  6. Windows will not update to 20H2 or 21H1

Windows will not update to 20H2 or 21H1: My Windows is stuck on Version 1909 Build 18363.1556I have tried all standard troubleshooting, as well as sfc, driver updates, updating via MCT and Windows Update Assistant. None have worked. Sometimes it returns the error code "0XC1900101 – 0x20017. Installation Failed in...
  7. windows updates fail + 20H2 manual installation failure

windows updates fail + 20H2 manual installation failure: Hello, my current win 10 pro version is 2004, for the past months I have troubles with windows update, I get this error: There were problems downloading some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help....
  8. Manually installing Edge Chromium on Win10 20H2?

in Browsers and Email
    Manually installing Edge Chromium on Win10 20H2?: Currently running the latest Windows 10 (20H2) created from the Media Creation Tool and this Windows 10 release now has Edge Chromium installed by default. However, when I go into the Edge settings and choose About Microsoft Edge, it will automatically update itself and this...
  9. Set driver installation to manual or at least ask prior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Set driver installation to manual or at least ask prior: After every single time computer goes for an update it automatically install drivers for all the devices due to which sound and my Bluetooth speaker stops working for that we have reinstall or either rollback the drivers. Can I set it ask before updating the drivers at least....
  10. Manual updates possible or not

Manual updates possible or not: Hi there Is it possible to manually install updates. I don't like this "Dumbed down" methodology as you might with very good reason not want to install "all possible updates". You can't (or I can't find it) even get a history of your updates -- another retrograde...