Windows 10: manually install device driver

Discus and support manually install device driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; PC isn't automatically picking up a new device...how do I manually install a device driver?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EllisParry, Jan 13, 2019.

1. manually install device driver

PC isn't automatically picking up a new device...how do I manually install a device driver?

:)

EllisParry, Jan 13, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

When trying to install the device drivers manually it says "Windows Was unable to install your Unknown Device.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Which driver are you trying to install?

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

• Since when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step1: Run hardware and device troubleshoot.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

And also check with your manufacturer web site for the drivers.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jan 13, 2019
  3. CJCerny Win User
    Laptop driver/reformat question

This is excellent advice. Writing down the list of installed devices prior to re-formatting will save you a lot of heartache. With that list, you won't have to try to figure out exactly which wireless card or web cam driver you need since there will likely be several to choose from.

CJCerny, Jan 13, 2019
  4. manually install device driver

"An error occurred during the installation of the device: The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry." while trying to install USB drivers on Windows 10

Hi Iasha,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue. We appreciate your interest in resolving the issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Were you able to see any yellow exclamatory mark for the drivers on Device Manager?

Let us try the troubleshooting steps below if not yet tried and check if it helps.

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 3: I suggest you to contact the device manufacturer's website, download the latest chipset drivers, install them manually and check if it helps.

Installing the latest chipset drivers will help you to install the drivers for USB ports.

Refer to the article by Andre Da Costa to install drivers:
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the USB device on your computer for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

manually install device driver

1. manually install device driver - Similar Threads - manually install device

2. Issue with installing drivers manually

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with installing drivers manually: I was trying to manually update drivers for my android device on Windows 10, and I wasn't able to select one "from disk".This same problem persisted on Windows 11 for me, as well as when I used 3 different drivers, or whenever I try to manually install any driver....
  3. Issue with installing drivers manually

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with installing drivers manually: I was trying to manually update drivers for my android device on Windows 10, and I wasn't able to select one "from disk".This same problem persisted on Windows 11 for me, as well as when I used 3 different drivers, or whenever I try to manually install any driver....
  4. Issue with installing drivers manually

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Unknown device drivers not installing manually

Unknown device drivers not installing manually: Up until my update this morning I have had a wireless adapter for my Xbox 360 controller. I have been manually assigning it driver updates but this time, I try to update it and nothing happens. I go to manage devices Other devices Unknown device Browse my computer Pick...
  6. Unable to install driver manually

Unable to install driver manually: Hi, I wanted to use my Guitar Hero Live controller for Xbox 360 on PC. To use it, I read that you need to use the driver 'Xbox 360 Controller for Windows' as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtyrvJ2YUCw. So I update the driver and pick the correct driver...
  7. Can the automatic driver installation be initiated manually?

Can the automatic driver installation be initiated manually?: Hello, I noticed that windows "itself" - not windows update automatically downloads and installs drivers after plugging in and also right after a fresh windows installation. But not if I intall any devices via the device manager manually before this automatic installation....
  8. Intel system drivers manually installed: how to check for it in the device manager

Intel system drivers manually installed: how to check for it in the device manager: I have installed the Intel system driver as well as the Intel Corporation system driver. Where can I find out where it is? Cannot find it in the device manager. Is there any updated driver for Microsoft AC adapter?...
  9. how to manually install a camcorder driver

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to manually install a camcorder driver: I can not download video from a memory card, I have an original driver of my camcorder. It didn't install automatically. How can I install it manually....
  10. How to install EN-9130TX driver manually?

How to install EN-9130TX driver manually?: my ethernet on my other pc broke. so i took my old lan card and installed one in it. but it needs its driver... so i downloaded the driver from here: Code:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry.