Windows 10: Manually invoking keyboard popup in tablet mode

Discus and support Manually invoking keyboard popup in tablet mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, When in full blown tablet mode (physical type cover completely removed), sometimes I want to initiate the on-screen keyboard to popup, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by recruit2, Jul 15, 2015.

1. recruit2 Win User

Manually invoking keyboard popup in tablet mode

Hi guys,

When in full blown tablet mode (physical type cover completely removed), sometimes I want to initiate the on-screen keyboard to popup, but there is no keyboard icon in the "systray" area. But I can see the keyboard icon in the systray area when I'm in desktop mode.

Is there a way I can have the keyboard icon visible/accessible from within tablet mode??

:)

recruit2, Jul 15, 2015
  2. Will MC Win User

Windows 10 tablet mode command prompt - keyboard

I have an HP Stream 7 that I have upgraded to Windows 10. So far so good except the command prompt. The issue is that in tablet mode Windows does not seem to see the command prompt window as a text input box and fails to bring the virtual keyboard up.
    I am having to switch off of tablet mode so I can get the keyboard incon in the task bar so that I can manually invoke the keyboard. This is not a huge problem, but it is a rough spot that could use a bit of polish. Does any know of a setting that may need
    to be changed on my part to correct this? Or, can I get the keyboard icon to stay in my tray while in tablet mode so I don't have to switch modes?

Will MC, Jul 15, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Creator build fails detecting laptop/tablet modes

Thank you for your suggestion. I did a clean boot but that did not solve the problem. If I manually put the computer into Tablet mode, the keyboard appropriately is disabled. However, when I manually take it out of Tablet mode, the keyboard remains inactive.
    This also happens if I AutoRotate the screen to leave Tablet mode.

Note that booting into Safe mode keeps the computer from disabling the keyboard even when rotating into Tablet mode, so that hasn't helped.

Thanks.

JerryJoyce, Jul 15, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Not sure if this would work but you could try turning this off:

Manually invoking keyboard popup in tablet mode [​IMG]

Edwin, Jul 15, 2015
  5. recruit2 Win User
    Hmm that was promising, but no it didn't work.

I turned that option off and then went into tablet mode and there's still no keyboard icon.

Does anyone actually have a keyboard icon in tablet mode?
    I.e. is there meant to be one?

recruit2, Jul 15, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Does the touch keyboard not pop up automatically when you invoke any text dialog box?

Edwin, Jul 15, 2015
  7. ksdixon Win User
    Right click (hold and release) on the tasks, and select show touch keyboard icon.

ksdixon, Jul 15, 2015
  8. Manually invoking keyboard popup in tablet mode

doesn't do that anymore, it works like 8 series did when on the desktop, you have to manually bring up the keyboard

on my win 8, they keyboard is a toolbar you need to add (right click taskbar and select toolbars), its not an item in the tray

paulsalter, Jul 15, 2015
  9. recruit2 Win User
    Perfect!!! That worked. Thanks.

Had to touch-hold the task bar to get that option.

Cheers.

recruit2, Jul 15, 2015
  10. Brilliant! Thanks for this.

I don't know if the cumulative update I just now did broke something, or if it always was this way, but now running Chrome in tablet mode does not automatically bring up the touch keyboard when I click the address bar. I wish it would...

OppfinnarJocke, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Manually invoking keyboard popup in tablet mode - Similar Threads - Manually invoking keyboard

2. Need ability to turn on tablet mode manually.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need ability to turn on tablet mode manually.: I have graphics tablet from huion which has 8 programmable buttons and a pressure sensitive pen.I have a Dell tiny desktop pc with which I connect my tablet as monitor. But my experience with Windows 11 feels really really bad. In windows 10 we could manually turn on tablet...
  3. Need ability to turn on tablet mode manually.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need ability to turn on tablet mode manually.: I have graphics tablet from huion which has 8 programmable buttons and a pressure sensitive pen.I have a Dell tiny desktop pc with which I connect my tablet as monitor. But my experience with Windows 11 feels really really bad. In windows 10 we could manually turn on tablet...
  4. How to manually disable the tablet mode in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to manually disable the tablet mode in Windows 11: I have a 2 in 1 laptop and I wanted to ask if it's possible to convert it into a "keyboard": when I fold it, it doesn't turn keyboard and mousepad off and I'm able to use it with an external monitor. I'm looking forward to seeing if there's a program solution for this.Thank...
  5. Keyboard Functionality in Tablet Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard Functionality in Tablet Mode: I have a Lenovo Yoga 530.My keyboard has not worked for a long while now in tablet mode - when I flip the screen to automatically go into tablet mode or activate tablet mode using the notification panel. The keyboard option is selected in the taskbar and the icon is visible....
  6. Keyboard Functionality in Tablet Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard Functionality in Tablet Mode: I have a Lenovo Yoga 530.My keyboard has not worked for a long while now in tablet mode - when I flip the screen to automatically go into tablet mode or activate tablet mode using the notification panel. The keyboard option is selected in the taskbar and the icon is visible....
  7. Keyboard Functionality in Tablet Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Tablet screen keyboard while not in tablet mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Tablet screen keyboard while not in tablet mode: I have an HP Envy X360. Until recently I could turn on the tablet on-screen keyboard while it was functioning as a laptop. This was really useful as I have arm injuries and sometimes I can barely type. The swipe function was great. Since I did a fresh install of windows this...
  9. Keyboard & Tablet Mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard & Tablet Mode: My computer is an HP Spectre and I have two questions: 1) I'm trying get my keyboard to disable when I'm in tablet mode, because whenever I hit a key it messes up what I'm doing. How can I easily disable my keyboard without uninstalling it? 2) My keyboard makes sounds when...
  10. touch keyboard in tablet mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    touch keyboard in tablet mode: When I am in tablet mode on my surface (without the keyboard attached), and i proceed to activate the on-screen touch keyboard, it doesn't activate when i touch it or prompt it. I would appreciate any feedback on that issue. Thanks...