Windows 10: Manually select install version?

Discus and support Manually select install version? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I created an install USB from a Windows 7 Pro installation on my desktop and I want to install Windows 10 Pro on my laptop (I have a valid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by akallio, Apr 12, 2016.

1. akallio Win User

Manually select install version?

Hello! I created an install USB from a Windows 7 Pro installation on my desktop and I want to install Windows 10 Pro on my laptop (I have a valid Windows 7 Pro key). The only thing is: My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 Home *Mad. That means the key is in the BIOS and the setup won't let me choose the version I want to install.

Is there any way to make it so that the installer installs Windows 10 Pro and ignores the key in the BIOS?

Thanks!

:)

akallio, Apr 12, 2016

2. How to manually select and Install updates in Windows 10 ?

This option was provided in Windows 7 to manually download required updtaes by the user:- "Check for updates but let me choose whether to install them". Now Microsoft Upgraded windows 10 but downgraded this feature, which results in unwanted installtion
    of updates and increased data and storage use. So, is there any way/option to get that feature of Windows 7 back in Windows 10, so that i can select updates from check boxes which i want to install

Himanshu Gangwani, Apr 12, 2016
  3. JoeExcel Win User
    How to manually select and Install updates in Windows 10 ?

MS Windows 10 just updated my Office 2010, which I just purchased. The update took forever, announcing on the screen how "excited" I will be with all the new capabilities. I was not.

I went into Control panel and manually removed all the updates except for security and a filter one. This returned Word 2010 to where I paid it to be. And it got rid of that hideous orange blob of an icon for Word.

Being an adult, I have no use for blocks and color selections from the Kindergarten collection or for MS daddy telling me what I must or must not have.

So that may be the only way to fix your PC if you can get in before it crashes. Good luck.

JoeExcel, Apr 12, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Open Notepad. Make a document with the following in it:

[PID]
    Value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Save the file as pid.txt in the /Sources folder of your Windows 10 install USB flash drive. That will cause the installer to install Windows 10 Pro.

Alternatively, just let it install Home. Got to Settings, Updates & Security, Activity tab from the left column. Change product key. Enter the product key above to upgrade to Pro. Then after the upgrade, change product key again and enter the Windows 7 Pro product key to activate it, if necessary.

NavyLCDR, Apr 12, 2016
  5. akallio Win User
    Thank you! That worked!!

akallio, Apr 12, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thanks! A few of us are in the same situation. We hope Microsoft gives users a choice in future versions, but doubt it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 12, 2016
  7. I have to do the same thing. I'm hoping after July 29th, when the free upgrade offer expires, the new Anniversary edition release won't do that. Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Manually select install version? - Similar Threads - Manually select install

2. Please enable manual selection/option of Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please enable manual selection/option of Windows Updates: Hi,I think it'll be best for users to be able to select which updates we want to install and also the option not to install them. I thought we had this before but was taken out in Windows 10?...
  3. How to selectively update window 10 manually?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to selectively update window 10 manually?: Some update causes problem and I would like to know on how to selectively update window 10 manually for testing.Once I find certain update causing the problem, how to avoid any this update in future?Does anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  4. Manual Install of Updates

Manual Install of Updates: I've a footwalled system I need to install MS updates on. I've got a lot to do so I'm going to create a batch file and do it command line. Is there any difference between running the msu directly or calling it by using wusa? i.e 1. Update.msu /quiet /norestart 2....
  5. Windows 1803 update/version manual install

Windows 1803 update/version manual install: Hello, Is there any place to get the complete 1803 update so that you can install it manually? I have a laptop Lenovo T480s > Windows 10 that is compatible with v. 1803 I've gone into Windows update settings and was able to install all the v. 1709 related updates, but...
  6. How to set AMP to use manually selected ports.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to set AMP to use manually selected ports.: I have a VOX AMP that has a USB connection uses a KORG USB midi driver. The connection has to be made within the old 10-MIDI-port-limitation, otherwise the AMP is not seen by the KORG Tone Room software. Now strange things (?) happen on my Windows 10 system. The driver...
  7. Manually installing updates

Manually installing updates: I have recently installed windows 10 and am already getting extremely frustrated with the inaccessibility of windows updates, it seems that Windows these days wants users to have zero control over what happens with their computer. I disabled mine because I read about users...
  8. Install updates manually

Install updates manually: I need to install Windows 10 updates manually, how i can do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-updates-manually/0a7de959-01a7-4c68-958d-483a4b0b169a
  9. How to manually select and Install updates in Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to manually select and Install updates in Windows 10 ?: How to manually select and Install updates in Windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-manually-select-and-install-updates-in/ed29032b-9d13-4224-8f2c-2e6bfea5b612
  10. how do i manually install updates or select updates to install in windows 10?

how do i manually install updates or select updates to install in windows 10?: how do i manually install updates or select updates to install in windows 10? I have a list of updates but they never install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-do-i-manually-install-updates-or-select/d9b02987-1b39-41f6-9b16-c75ee5328709