Windows 10: Many 1803 Problems

Discus and support Many 1803 Problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm holding off on this build. I just find it amazing that Microsoft does not listen to or care about it's customers. Polish what you have before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Compumind, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Compumind Win User

Many 1803 Problems

I'm holding off on this build.
    I just find it amazing that Microsoft does not listen to or care about it's customers.

Polish what you have before adding/removing features. Linux doesn't aggravate me!

Enough said! *Banghead

Compumind, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Steve C Win User

I'm unsurprised to see a plethora of problems on the forum after the latest 1803 feature upgrade. I have no intention of upgrading for at least 3 months to give MS time to iron out the bugs.

:)

Steve C, May 1, 2018
  3. How permanently stop windows 10 force updates

The 1709 update hasn't failed for most people. Many sure, but there's 800 million people using it already without a problem.

They aren't releasing a new update "in response to 1709" or as a reaction. The next update, 1803, has been being planned for years now.

1709 means Update for September of 2017

1803 means Update March of 2018 (coming in a few weeks

There will be another big update in 1809, and again in 1903. Every 6 months.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 1, 2018
  4. Many 1803 Problems

Mail and Calendar App crashing when accessing settings

The problem is still there with 1803 :-(

XiaofangZhou, May 1, 2018
  5. I hear you. Who needs feature upgrades, anyway? Is there something wrong with what I have now?

They added "Windows Timeline: You can move back into activities of files you were using in the past, up to 30 days."
    Huh? Sounds like a downgrade. I've been without this feature for decades, yet I've been able to access things from years ago ... not just 30 days.

They added "Fluent Design Improvements: More pronouncements to the acrylic translucency effects and reveal animations."
    Where has this been all my life! Pronouncements! Translucency! Reveal animations! Gotta have it (not).

They added "Near Share": Allows you to share files via Bluetooth."
    So, another security hole? Great!

They added "Microsoft Edge Improvements"
    But they didn't bother to make Edge actually WORK LIKE A BROWSER, did they? Nope.
    I implemented my own Edge improvement program: Unpin from taskbar and unpin from start menu.

They added "Cortana Improvements"
    As with Edge, I implemented my own improvement program: Unpin from taskbar and unpin from start menu.

They added "Reasons to get this upgrade"
    NONE.

The good news ... they removed some fluff.
    - They removed "Groove Music Pass". What's that?
    - They removed "People, suggestions will no longer include unsaved contacts for non-Microsoft accounts". What's that?
    - They removed "Language control in the Control Panel". What's that?
    - They removed "XPS Viewer". What's that?
    I don't even know what that stuff is. So no worries! *Smile

margrave55, May 1, 2018
  6. *shrugs* It's a forum meant for people to post their problems. It doesn't mean 1803 is buggy, but it also doesn't mean it isn't. You have to read through to see what the cause of the issues are.

For me, as a network admin, I can't sit back and put it off. I need to be testing it now.

DeaconFrost, May 1, 2018
  7. z3r010 Win User
    *Thumbs

z3r010, May 1, 2018
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Many 1803 Problems

Hi folks.

Why on earth did they just remove language options from control panel - if they need to get rid of control panel then get rid of the whole thing.

There's perhaps loads of more useless things they could remove from control panel IMO before Language / regional options etc.

It's OK for those who only use a single language but there are lots of places where English + local language used plus a load of places etc such as Belgium or Switzerland where 2 or even 3 standard languages are used as normal.

Networking does actually seem to work for once (invariably have trouble with that after an update) and fortunately Outlook 2016 setup is still in control panel where you can manually set yp inbound and outbound mail servers -- the wretched auto config that the basic application (i.e from with outlook 2016 itself) hoses you up royally so it's nearly impossible to set up manually your mail server(s) config.

The applet from control panel still works (needed to re-install Office 2016 totally - that was something I needed not because WU hosed it up).

Keyboard issue is solved (restored old version, logged on in English, did update and it's fine also in ISL as well).

So let's see what's next. I'm happy though no Networking issues this time -- I'm sure next update will break it again !!

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, May 1, 2018
  9. Count yourself lucky then, I spent hours trying to fix mine before tracking down the source, and haven't previously had any network issues with Windows 10 updates. SMBv1 is gone, and a side-effect of that is that so is the "computer browser" service that populates the Network list with local PCs that have shared resources. MS claims this was removed as of 1709, but it was working fine on my network before 1803. The solution was to set the "Function Discovery Resource Publication" service to auto in services, which does the same thing but using WS-DISCOVERY. I also could not access certain network shares by name using UNC, only IP. I eventually tracked that down to more "IPv4/6 Transition Technologies" being removed in 1803; unless you (presumably) have a fully compliant IPv6 local network, leaving IPv6 enabled on your client network adapters now causes problems when it didn't on 1709. When this gets rolled out for (small) business use MS is going to be dealing with a lot of people asking why their networks shares have broken.

xtcrefugee, May 1, 2018
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.
    SMB1 can be re-enabled.

I suppose I didn't realize problems with IPV6 we've had it for ages --ISP does appropriate translation where necessary .
    IPV4 still works as well as I have 2 NAS servers running that don't know anything about IPV6 (yet until kernel update) so somewhere whether in router, ISP or windows there is presumably an "Auto address translate" that keeps old and new IP addresses working where required.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 1, 2018
  11. Unfortunately, not when you're using a router from an ISP that doesn't support IPv6. Which is almost all UK ISPs. MS also explicitly states "Important We strongly recommend that you do not reinstall SMBv1. This is because this older protocol has known security issues regarding ransomware and other malware." And regardless, if it's already deprecated installing it manually isn't a long-term solution as MS could remove it as an option in any future update. But actually my current network setup was built on 1709 and so presumably never had SMBv1 in the first place.

xtcrefugee, May 1, 2018
  12. AntJac Win User
    Unsure whether to Reset my PC and start again on 1803 (as opposed to the upgrade from 1709 to 1803) or do a complete reinstallation.

I've got no major issues. I'm sure there is a slight jerkiness in FM18 now during a game but i imagine that might be either the game needing to be updated to the build or something

AntJac, May 1, 2018
Thema:

Many 1803 Problems

1. Many 1803 Problems - Similar Threads - Many 1803 Problems

2. many Microsoft problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    many Microsoft problems: Dell Alien DesktopMicrosoft Store can not load, widgets unavailable, sticky notes can not synchronized, most of pictures in email can not show in outlook https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/many-microsoft-problems/bf0187d3-b412-4034-a5f8-0d02956443e8
  3. many Microsoft problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    many Microsoft problems: Dell Alien DesktopMicrosoft Store can not load, widgets unavailable, sticky notes can not synchronized, most of pictures in email can not show in outlook https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/many-microsoft-problems/bf0187d3-b412-4034-a5f8-0d02956443e8
  4. Many many Windows 10 problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Many many Windows 10 problems: Windows 10 being hands down the worst OS I've ever had the displeasure of using, with no signs of improving, it is giving me a plethora of different critical problems with never any indication of what the causes are (previous versions were much more stable, but when errors...
  5. 1803 Update Problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1803 Update Problems: Hi, I wonder if anyone can help please as 1803 update will not install on my laptop. There have been no end of attempts to do this each taking an age and the end result is always the same "Restoring previous version of Windows". I have tried to turn off Widows Updates using...
  6. Many problems with PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Many problems with PC: Hello, Lately, i have been having a whole bunch of problems with my PC. The problems started when i installed the June Cumulative update for Windows 10 1803. When the update was installing, my PC blue screened and although it booted back up, it was performing significantly...
  7. Many 1803 Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Many 1803 Problems: I'm unsurprised to see a plethora of problems on the forum after the latest 1803 feature upgrade. I have no intention of upgrading for at least 3 months to give MS time to iron out the bugs. 109158
  8. Many Directx Problems

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Many Directx Problems: Hy, in some days my win 10 is giving me many directx errors on playng some games like GTA V, NFS, FIFA 18 and PUBG. The erros is dxgi_error_device_hung and dxgi_error_device_removed. I used ddu to remove and unnistall nvidia drivers and roolback to some old drivers, but not...
  9. So many problems

in Windows 10 Support
    So many problems: I've had nothing but issues with my laptop since upgrading. 1) minor but annoying thing my right click on my keypad also mouse cause the screen to go temporarily black and then it shuts down what ever you were right clicking on. 2) I can't install any new software it...
  10. Many problems with installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Many problems with installation: I have installed Windows 10 on my HP Pavillion laptop. Nothing seems to be working properly. Everything I click on says Not Responding. I've now tried to close it down. All I get is the whirly dots and 'Signing off'. It looks like I shall have to turn it off manually! It...