Windows 10: Many BSODs in multi-boot system and most suggest hal.sys

Discus and support Many BSODs in multi-boot system and most suggest hal.sys in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've had many BSODs on this computer in the five years I've had it. Under warranty, I had a new video card (Gforce GT220 replacing GT210), new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by skcusime, Oct 21, 2015.

1. skcusime Win User

Many BSODs in multi-boot system and most suggest hal.sys

I've had many BSODs on this computer in the five years I've had it. Under warranty, I had a new video card (Gforce GT220 replacing GT210), new motherboard (Gigabyte 970A-D3 replacing 870A-UD3) when Windows 7 was the only system.
    Since then, dual booting Windows 7 and 8.1, I've installed new RAM, new PSU, new HDD and both operating systems continue to randomly blue screen.
    Now with Win 10 as a third operating system, they still happen.... twice today, but nothing for a week or so.
    It drives me mad, and I'd willingly buy a new computer if I could be sure that would solve the problem. I've deleted all programs with old drivers, and keep right up to date with all updates available.

:)

skcusime, Oct 21, 2015

2. BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 1/3/2016 6:16:56 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010416-19859-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: hal.sys (hal+0x88B3)

Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0x0)

Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hal.sys .

Google query: hal.sys DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

On Sun 1/3/2016 6:16:56 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: hal.sys (hal+0x88B3)

Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0x0)

Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hal.sys .

Google query: hal.sys DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

On Sun 1/3/2016 4:33:48 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010316-23281-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x127C80)

Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x14, 0xFF, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF820D251D)

Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

azmialfarisi, Oct 21, 2015
  3. GuyDor Win User
    wdiwifi.sys and hal.sys cause BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL on Win 10

Hello,

I'm facing BSOD lately after latest Win10 updates.

I have searched for old posts with no real luck Many BSODs in multi-boot system and most suggest hal.sys :(

The following link provides: (The file was created with 7zip)

wdiwifi and hal BSOD.7z - Box

1. DriverView full list

2. Two Dump file collected from Minidump folder (one for hal.sys and other for wdiwifi.sys)

Will appreciate your help and guidance.

Guy

GuyDor, Oct 21, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi skcusime,

It seems that an important file is corrupted.
    Are you able to open msinfo32? (Search "msinfo32" without quotes)
    If you are, please re-run the BSOD tool and upload the zip file.

5. skcusime Win User
    Thanks axe0,
    I am able to open msinfo32 (in system32 folder). I then re-ran the dm_log_collector file, and had 2 blue screens before it finished!
    New zip attached.Attachment 44042

skcusime, Oct 21, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    I still can't open the msinfo32 file.
    Can you open the msinfo32 file when the zip is created?

Old drivers, to start with
    Code: tib_mounter tib_mounter.sys Thu Dec 27 14:25:57 2012 (50DC4C65) // Acronis tib tib.sys Wed Mar 20 09:59:41 2013 (51497A7D) // Acronis snapman snapman.sys Wed Jan 16 14:44:45 2013 (50F6AECD) // Acronis point32 point32.sys Thu Dec 12 14:15:26 2013 (52A9B6EE) // Microsoft driver nvvad32v nvvad32v.sys Thu Nov 20 16:33:31 2014 (546E09CB) // Nvidia driver nvhda32v nvhda32v.sys Thu Nov 28 14:37:50 2013 (5297472E) // Nvidia driver mwac mwac.sys Wed Jun 18 04:06:47 2014 (53A0F437) // Malwarebytes GEARAspiWDM GEARAspiWDM.sys Thu May 03 21:55:59 2012 (4FA2E2CF) // Gear driver, also used with iTunes fltsrv fltsrv.sys Fri Mar 01 14:54:14 2013 (5130B306) // Acronis afcdp afcdp.sys Wed Jul 20 16:46:28 2011 (4E26EA44) // Acronis 3xHybrid 3xHybrid.sys Wed Oct 13 05:55:43 2010 (4CB52DBF) // ASUS Hybrid TV Tuner driver[/quote] Check Acronis, Malwarebytes, and Gigabyte / iTunes software for software updates, Microsoft* and ASUS for driver updates

*I don't know from what device / program it is.

7. skcusime Win User
    axe0,
    I uninstalled the Microsoft mouse & keyboard, so point32.sys is gone.
    Uninstalling Acronis True Image is a problem because it leaves behind the drivers (Known issue)
    I cannot open the msinfo32.nfo file from the zip, but i can open the msinfo32.exe from windows.
    I don't know what could be causing this. Is there another way of uploading the file?

skcusime, Oct 22, 2015
  8. axe0 New Member

Via 3rd party uploaders like dropbox, onedrive, google driver etc.

Please try following:
    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again
    If sfc/scannow does NOT say "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation" after the second SFC, please upload the cbs.log file located at {windows partition}\Windows\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.

9. skcusime Win User
    axe0,
    SFC did not turn up any errors on either pass.
    I ran the dm_log collector again, but still again can't open the msinfo32.nfo from the archive.
    I can runn it from the system 32 folder (msinfo32.exe)

I'm at a complete loss.

skcusime, Oct 22, 2015
  10. axe0 New Member
    If possible copy msinfo32 to a 3rd party uploader and paste the link here.
    NOT prefered is a direct download link.

11. lx07 Win User
    You can generate the .nfo file separately by running msinfo32 /nfo %userprofile%\desktop\msinfo32.nfo from a command line. It will generate it on your desktop. You can then upload it (assuming you can open it).

12. skcusime Win User
    I created a desktop version of msinfo32.nfo as halasz suggested, but I still get the dreaded "system information is unable to open this .nfo file". No point uploading it.

skcusime, Oct 22, 2015
  13. axe0 New Member

14. skcusime Win User
    Okay, it's taken 24 hours to run all these. Nothing found by any EXCEPT by ESET Online Scanner, which found 16 "threats", mainly OpenCandy and Bundled.Toolbar. All were classed as potentially unwanted or potentially unsafe. All were quarantined and subsequently deleted.
    I then created a new msinfo32.nfo but again it would not open.
    Doubtful that any of these threats are causing my BSODS, but I'll wait and update when I get the next one.
    Thanks for your assistance - maybe you can suggest something else.

skcusime, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Many BSODs in multi-boot system and most suggest hal.sys - Similar Threads - Many BSODs multi

2. Frequent BSOD, Driver Verifier suggests it might be amdgpio3.sys?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent BSOD, Driver Verifier suggests it might be amdgpio3.sys?: Hello,My computer's been frequently encountering blue screens and I can't seem to figure out the root cause of it. Some things I've tried so far:Check Device Manager to make sure all my drivers are up to dateUpdate my Motherboard BIOS to the latest versionUpdate my chipset...
  3. Frequent BSOD, Driver Verifier suggests it might be amdgpio3.sys?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frequent BSOD, Driver Verifier suggests it might be amdgpio3.sys?: Hello,My computer's been frequently encountering blue screens and I can't seem to figure out the root cause of it. Some things I've tried so far:Check Device Manager to make sure all my drivers are up to dateUpdate my Motherboard BIOS to the latest versionUpdate my chipset...
  4. Frequent BSOD, Driver Verifier suggests it might be amdgpio3.sys?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to Limit Most Programs to One Monitor in Multi-Monitor System

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Limit Most Programs to One Monitor in Multi-Monitor System: I want all programs but Photoshop to open on Monitor 2.Sometimes when I already have an application open, and open a new instance, that new instance gets put on monitor 1, which is OFF. Usually using {Windows}+{right arrow} will move the application window over to the ON...
  6. Different BSOD´s, mostly on boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Different BSOD´s, mostly on boot: Hello, i have many bsod. Sometimes every day, mostly every 2 or 3th. Most time they occure on Startup, but the last one was during a download from Steam and sometimes there is nothing for days. There were many more, but i reinstalled my os one time. I already tried...
  7. Windows 10 BSOD Boot Loop, WDF01000.SYS error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 BSOD Boot Loop, WDF01000.SYS error: I was just browsing the web when my machine locked up and started going into a boot loop that would go to attempting repair, diagnosing problem and then would loop again with the Windows 10 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (wdf01000.sys). The machine will let me choose the safe...
  8. Multi boot system question....adding Vista

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multi boot system question....adding Vista: Attached is a screen shot of my system hard drive set up. I'm using Easy BCD to boot to which ever OS as my mood strikes. I have some free space on drive X where I would like to install Vista ....for no other reason other that I can. Vista set up keeps giving an error message...
  9. Invisible Boot Manager on Multi OS system.

Invisible Boot Manager on Multi OS system.: i7-5820k, 3.3GHz Asus X-99A/USB 3.1 mobo 16gigs Ram AMD RX480 8gig Win 10/7 I am dual booting win 10 and 7. The install of 10 went smooth and I had the wonderful blue menu screen for some time. Attachment 164426 However, since the Creators update on 10 all I have...
  10. Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue

Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue: Ok so here's what has happened. I have a multi boot system. Windows 10 on my M2 hard drive. Then on another SSD I have Windows 10 Creators addition that I use to test updates . Then 1 more SSD that has Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. All were booting fine using Easy BCD until I...