Windows 10: Many files disappeared after Windows update

Discus and support Many files disappeared after Windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After windows update I couldn't log in into my windows account, and access the desktop, but after restarting device I was logged in to a blank windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MariusVasiliauskas, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Many files disappeared after Windows update

After windows update I couldn't log in into my windows account, and access the desktop, but after restarting device I was logged in to a blank windows account. After that I found my old files and just moved them over to the new windows log in, not knowing it was "temporary account". After yet another restart it actually let me log in to original permanent account, but the files were now gone. Where and how can I access the temporary accounts files? It's very important and contains 4 years worth or work and study data.

:)

MariusVasiliauskas, Jun 26, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jun 26, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Task to auto update windows defender definitions disappears

My mom has a new laptop with windows 8.1, we always set the windows updates to manual.
    On our other windows 8.1 computers I have created a task for auto updating windows defender definitions, which works fine for us.

This is how I created this task:

"Click on "Create Task", name it what you like (mine is Daily Signature Update), set the trigger as the time you want it to run every day.

For Action browse to Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe and select it. In "Add arguments" add -SignatureUpdate -MMPC"

But somehow this task disappears once it has run on my mom's laptop.
    I'm logged in as admin and then I also tried it with running the task scheduler as admin, the task just disappears every day for some reason, while it works fine on our other windows 8.1 computers.

Anyone an idea why this task disappears every time?

Thanks.

P4-630, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Pech_096 Win User

Many files disappeared after Windows update

The option converting m4a files to wma files in windows 10 is disappeared

• What app are you using to convert the files?
    I don't use any app to convert the files. I just copy the m4a files from my music folder. Then I paste the m4a files in my android phone drive that connected to my laptop. Then a windows pop-up that shows the option converting m4a files to wma files appears.
    You can see the windows pop-up in below picture. Now the windows pop-up is disappeared.

Many files disappeared after Windows update b4c1c11b-71d2-4bbb-a1ed-65ca65cf6f71.jpg

This picture was taken a screenshot from the video

• When did the issue start to happen?
    I found this problem last week. However, I didn't convert m4a files to wma files since May, 2017.

• Were there any changes made to your device prior to the issue?
    I updated windows several times prior to the issue.

• Have you done any troubleshooting steps so far?
    I haven't done any troubleshooting steps.

Pech_096, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Many files disappeared after Windows update

1. Many files disappeared after Windows update - Similar Threads - Many files disappeared

2. File Directory Columns disappearing after latest update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Directory Columns disappearing after latest update: The latest Windows update has turned the usual easy business of manually resizing file directory columns into a nightmare. Now if I resize a column manually with my mouse, it covers up the columns to the right. This apparently has something to do with the fact that Windows...
  3. File Directory Columns disappearing after latest update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Directory Columns disappearing after latest update: The latest Windows update has turned the usual easy business of manually resizing file directory columns into a nightmare. Now if I resize a column manually with my mouse, it covers up the columns to the right. This apparently has something to do with the fact that Windows...
  4. File Directory Columns disappearing after latest update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My desktop files disappeared after windows10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My desktop files disappeared after windows10 update: Hello My desktop files disappeared after windows 10 update. I also, lost my thunderbirds email account setting, as well as most of the shortcuts on the desktop. Fortunately I found my desktop files at the user count folder in drive C. I started over and setup my email on the...
  6. Registry files and dll files are disappearing after update 2004.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry files and dll files are disappearing after update 2004.: In september, after I updated my PC to version 2004, I've got multiple errors about files dissapearing, such as DLL files. After some time, I saw that wauserv was missing too and I couldn't do any update getting the error 0x80070424. What is the cause and how I can solve this...
  7. After download the file disappears?

After download the file disappears?: Hello I'm downloading a program I've used before. Since I have a new ssd it does not work anymore. After download I open the folder via winrar. Unzip everything into one folder. After that the program disappears. I have also tried it by deactivating my antivirus program....
  8. profile and files disappeared after installing windows 10 update

profile and files disappeared after installing windows 10 update: I restarted my pc (following the instructions that popped up), and then my profile disappeared. I know my files are there (under users), but I do not know how to recover my profile so that I can run all my programs....
  9. After computer update, program files disappeared.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After computer update, program files disappeared.: My computer automatically updated a couple of days ago. However, my program files are not in my C drive? How can I locate them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-computer-update-program-files-disappeared/7dd22f06-a155-43f2-bc91-5c080609e461"
  10. My files disappeared after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My files disappeared after update: Please, help me with the following problem. A month ago after the update my files disappeared and I cannot find them. I contacted Microsoft but they have only one option to fix this problem, that is to take pictures of my system. I don’t want to allow them to take the...