Windows 10: Many of my keys have had their functions overlaid with other keys?

Discus and support Many of my keys have had their functions overlaid with other keys? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yeah so, at some point yesterday all of a sudden a lot of my keys are performing extra functions taken from other keys on the keyboard. I wasn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Enived, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Enived Win User

Many of my keys have had their functions overlaid with other keys?

Yeah so, at some point yesterday all of a sudden a lot of my keys are performing extra functions taken from other keys on the keyboard. I wasn't messing around with anything keyboard related at the time... I have already tried checking if my keyboard region is correct, and it is. My keyboard driver is up to date.

I'm running Windows 10, Version 1903 (Os Build 18362.592). At the moment I am using Microsoft Edge and this program's hotkeys give me extra trouble. I'm telling you this because it's hard to tell exactly what key functions are being triggered.

d = F7. Usually prevents me from typing the letter at all. The F7 key functions normally. If I am not using a program that uses F7 as a hotkey, it works normally.

r = brings the cursor up to the top of the text box 70% of the time, may also scroll my webpage to a random point. This may prevent me from typing the letter at all. I can't capitalize it anymore. It works normally on certain programs but I don't know what key it is mimicking. for a few hours, this function was replaced with printing "3" before changing back overnight. I don't recall doing anything to make this happen. strangely, it didn't have the same effect as pressing 3 when used in programs with hotkeys mapped to 3.

left shift = hyphen. still allows me to capitalize most letters, but I have leftover hyphens to delete. It does not act on itself to create underscores. I can't capitalize f or g.

right shift = A space. Will not allow me to capitalize letters. space bar still makes spaces.

space bar = It will scroll me down a webpage only once before scrolling me HIGHER instead of lower. It functions fine if I am in a text box.

Bizarrely, I am now able to click on text on a webpage and a cursor will appear as if it is a document. This doesn't make the text editable but I can navigate it with the arrow keys. This makes me think that maybe I've activated some sort of mode. It doesn't seem tied to a key but it showed up at the same time.

for some reason "The", "They", and "Their" are often automatically capitalized, and this covers many programs so it's not just autocorrect.

My keyboard hasn't been working well lately, but that started long before this did and it's just in terms of what I believe are the contacts gradually wearing out. (Ya know, gotta press the key harder and harder to get it to work until it doesn't anymore and no debris present when I take the key caps off?) None of the defective keys have really been restored to function by this weirdness. It seems as though the d key might be working with less effort than it was but I just cannot be sure.

I have been using AutoHotkey to create new hotkeys for missing letters, but just simple scripts to make ctrl+T make s and such; I have no scripts that affect the messed up hotkeys I've listed here. Disabling AutoHotkey and/or resetting the computer does not help. I am on a laptop so I can't disconnect the keyboard or anything and I don't have a UsB keyboard to plug in and test out.

Thanks...

:)

Enived, Jan 19, 2020

2. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Jan 20, 2020
  3. 1215N function keys not working?

Doesn't list it for the 1215N *Frown Many of my keys have had their functions overlaid with other keys? :(

Funny part all the keys work out of the box with Linux Mint, go figure.

Tried the one on softpedia, doesn't seem to work.

Any other model that I can take it from?

speedy11131, Jan 20, 2020
  4. Many of my keys have had their functions overlaid with other keys?

1215N function keys not working?

dont forget match the type of your stuff, so you can run it by pressing function key

micropage7, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Many of my keys have had their functions overlaid with other keys?

1. Many of my keys have had their functions overlaid with other keys? - Similar Threads - Many keys functions

2. Why have my function keys changed?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why have my function keys changed?: Recently I've been having problems with my Fn keys with my keyboard I'm using a PC with windows 10.Both today and yesterday my Fn keys have changed to what I believe to be the keyboard manufacturers settings rather than the default windows settings, i.e. F11 no longer goes...
  3. F1 not working but other Function keys do.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    F1 not working but other Function keys do.: I have a ISY IGK-4000 TKL keyboard if that helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/f1-not-working-but-other-function-keys-do/45c88cc6-c47f-4b84-8486-57bb9a5c6f2d
  4. My keys are pressing other keys at the same time it has the same function as the other key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keys are pressing other keys at the same time it has the same function as the other key: This has been happening for a while now but when I press numpad "4" key it also presses the numpad "/" key and vice versaso when I press either of those keys it shows "4/"I'm sure there's a way to fix it without needing to download another key mapping app out in the internet...
  5. My keys are pressing other keys at the same time it has the same function as the other key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keys are pressing other keys at the same time it has the same function as the other key: This has been happening for a while now but when I press numpad "4" key it also presses the numpad "/" key and vice versaso when I press either of those keys it shows "4/"I'm sure there's a way to fix it without needing to download another key mapping app out in the internet...
  6. My keys are pressing other keys at the same time it has the same function as the other key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. My keys are pressing other keys at the same time it has the same function as the other key

My keys are pressing other keys at the same time it has the same function as the other key: This has been happening for a while now but when I press numpad "4" key it also presses the numpad "/" key and vice versa so when I press either of those keys it shows "4/" I'm sure there's a way to fix it without needing to download another key mapping app out in the...
  8. Fn + Windows Key + Other functions?

Fn + Windows Key + Other functions?: Hey, I've gotten an update of windows August 2020 today and after reboot, I pressed the windows key but no window bar has open. Luckily I figured out soon after to need to press Fn + Windows key + another function key to uses the default windows function such as open window's...
  9. Brightness and all other function keys not working

Brightness and all other function keys not working: Hi, I'd done with dislplay drivers update as well as Microsoft basic display drivers still functions key are not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brightness-and-all-other-function-keys-not-working/3dca5407-b2ed-4ed5-9036-f4f61860ddb4
  10. My space bar performs the functions of other keys

My space bar performs the functions of other keys: Hi When ever i press my space bar either it acts likr the tab key or when i want to search something in the search bar it opens what ive previously searched or when i press the space bar in my browser it types the word ". Vm" While on the on screen keyboard when i press...