Windows 10: Many questions about Windows activation

Discus and support Many questions about Windows activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just bought a new computer without a OS. I installed a Windows 10 Home copy, but until now I haven't activated it. My another computer had an OEM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SanderMoita, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Many questions about Windows activation

I just bought a new computer without a OS. I installed a Windows 10 Home copy, but until now I haven't activated it. My another computer had an OEM Windows 7 with an unactivated Office.

I want to buy licenses, but I'm very confused with the information about Windows and Office that is provided by Microsoft.

First, when I buy Windows 10 through the Microsoft Store, what exactly I'll get, a license or a key?

Second, will that come with any kind of physical media I don't need, since Windows 10 is already installed?

Third, that license or key will allow me to use Windows 10 forever, even changing the computer, ou any component like motherboard, or SSD, ou with an reinstallation, since I only use it in only one computer?

Fourth, but that is probably obvious, I imagine that the license won't come with a Office license?

Fifth, this license or key will be necessarily associated with my Microsoft Account? I mean, there is any way of activating or using Windows without any Microsoft account on the computer?

Sorry about asking questions that I may know the answer or that are explained in Microsoft website, but the information I found was almost always ambiguous or insufficient, leaving me unsure.

:)

SanderMoita, Aug 4, 2020

2. Question about Windows activation

Question about Windows activation after MoBo change

Im thinking of changing my motherboard, will I still be able to reinstall my genuine Windows XP Home Edition and activate it with Micro$oft, or is a new motherboard classed as a new PC *Confused Many questions about Windows activation :confused:

HookeyStreet, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Suman_B Win User
    I have many questions about Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to try the following methods and check:

If you want to keep files, suggest you to perform In-place upgrade.

Refer this article to perform In-place upgrade:
    How to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows
    10 Step-by-Step Guide
    . In place upgrade will not delete or remove any files or partitions from the computer. Instead it just repairs the Windows 10 operating system.

If you would like to remove all the files and partitions on the computer, I would suggest you to perform clean installation. For the steps to perform clean install, refer the article
    How to: Perform a Clean
    Install or Reinstall of Windows 10.

Additionally refer Reinstall Windows 10.

If you would like to partition the drive, I would suggest you to install the OS. Once the installation is complete, you can go to disk management and create your own partition.

• Press Windows & R at the same time on the keyboard and type: diskmgmt.msc
    • Select the disk from which you want to make a partition.
    • Right click the Un-partitioned space in the bottom pane and select new Simple volume.
    • Enter the size and click next and you are done.

After the installation, you can set up the computer name. Follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows & pause break key on the keyboard.
    • Select System Protection from the left pane.
    • Select computer name under System Properties.
    • Select To rename this computer or change its domain or workgroup. Click on change.
    • Change the name and follow the on screen instructions.

If you wish to set your lock screen name as Jerry Dwyer, then we can perform this by setting up the user account on the computer. While setting up the account, create a same username which you would like to be displayed on the lock screen.

The Drive will be assigned automatically by windows and you don't have to search for it. It will be displayed under File explorer.

You can always choose a strong password, we recommend using a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. Usually it's best if these passwords are at least eight characters long. Although we advise you to use an alphanumeric password format because
    it's safer, you can also change your password into a pin or picture that lets you sign in to your Microsoft account quicker.

I would suggest you refer the article Create
    a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

to create a Username and Password.

Thanks

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Aug 4, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Many questions about Windows activation

Question About Activation

Hi Kopitar

You have nothing to worry about, your Windows licencing will remain intact . . .

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will
    have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers and activation will happen automatically once your PC is put on the Internet . . .

DaveM121, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Many questions about Windows activation

1. Many questions about Windows activation - Similar Threads - Many questions activation

2. Question About Account Activity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question About Account Activity: I can't seem to find where to send this question to Microsoft. I keep going in documentation loops so I'll post it here: I got an email recently that said there was a request for a code to sign into my account and I don't remember making that request. It said something like...
  3. Question about Windows activation keys.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about Windows activation keys.: I want to buy a cheap and legal activation key from Microsoft website itself, but The Microsoft website is a maze and always keeps getting me to other places that don't seem to have an answer, please where to buy? I don't want an enterprise or student or organization license,...
  4. Question about Windows activation keys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows activation keys.: I want to buy a cheap and legal activation key from Microsoft website itself, but The Microsoft website is a maze and always keeps getting me to other places that don't seem to have an answer, please where to buy? I don't want an enterprise or student or organization license,...
  5. Question about Windows activation keys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Question about windows activation

Question about windows activation: When i got my PC, it came with windows already activated, but soon i started getting the "Your windows license will expire soon" error.And after a bit of time, I started seeing the "Activate Windows" thing at the bottom right of my screen. When i check in the windows...
  7. Question about activation keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about activation keys: Im about to finish buliding my first pc, and i was looking for a cheaper method of getting the keys (i don't want to pay 100$+) where should i get cheap keys from? And are those websites trusted and safe? Or is there a way to get free keys? submitted by /u/hot_dwag [link]...
  8. Question about Windows 10 activation

Question about Windows 10 activation: Is it possible to activate Windows 10 home by Windows 10 Pro product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-windows-10-activation/536e7b15-17e1-4281-9844-9fd85dccd0c0
  9. Question about Windows 10 Activation???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Windows 10 Activation???: I bought a Asus laptop (model X555LAB) a while back. Had the hard drive fail on me countless times and factory resetted it many times. A while back I decided to delete windows and replace it with linux. Just now, I decided to remove linux and reinstall windows 10 (which came...
  10. Question about Windows Activation Problem

Question about Windows Activation Problem: I he bought dell 5570. Windows 10 Pro is already activated by Organization. When I started with Fresh Start from Device Performance & Health, [ATTACH] It Says [ATTACH] How To activate again?...