Windows 10: map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder

Discus and support map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a SSD for C:, an internal Drive D: How to: 1. If I connect my external drive I want the internal drive become E: and the external should be D:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 5ggggg, May 24, 2019.

1. 5ggggg Win User

map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder

I have a SSD for C:, an internal Drive D:

How to:
    1. If I connect my external drive I want the internal drive become E: and the external should be D:

On another PC:
    2. Let's say I have a folder C:\folder1\folder2.
    If I connect my external drive I want it to be mapped to C:\folder1. So if I have the ext. drive connected its root directory shows up instead of folder2.

:)

5ggggg, May 24, 2019

2. Internal Drive+Enclosure or External Drive

Hi, I'm not very familiar with storage solutions so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm looking to buy a 1TB+ drive for backup. External drives seem like more elegant solutions but when I looked on Newegg many reviews seem to suggest that they are not long lived (e.g. break within weeks/months). Is this true? If so, are internal drives + enclosures better? Or do any of you have better solutions that I don't know about (like I said I'm not that familiar with the storage department). Thanks.

runevirage, May 24, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, May 24, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

HELP!!! External Drive issues!!

you're in luck, the guy with way too much external storage is here to the rescue!

step 1: try with a different USB cable

step 2: take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your PC

quite likely the cable or enclosure has died. if you're re-initialising the disk you might actually be erasing it... so dont do that.

Mussels, May 24, 2019
Thema:

1. map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder - Similar Threads - map external drive

2. substitute USB Flash Drive with USB external SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    substitute USB Flash Drive with USB external SSD?: Can this be done to create Windows install media? Thanks! *Smile 167579
  3. File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder: In order to get my huge iTunes library to work at a reasonable speed I mapped an 8 TB external drive which had previously had a letter assigned I'll call it the M: drive to a folder on my computer's internal C: drive using the Disk Management program. The M: drive has all...
  4. mapping/mapped drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mapping/mapped drives: I have a Windows 10 Pro fully updated computer that has three folders on a second drive not the boot drive. I created three usernames/passwords on this computer and gave rights to each user for each folder. When I go to any one of the computers 8-10 on the network workgroup I...
  5. Mirror homework folders on internal and external hard drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mirror homework folders on internal and external hard drives: As a precaution, I have all of my school work saved in 3 locations. One external 4 TB HDD, one internal 1 TB NVMe SSD on my desktop and an external 256 SSD (I carry this with me should I need to work using my laptop). I'm trying to figure out a way to auto-update the folders...
  6. CD/DVD Internal and External Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Internal and External Drives: My internal CD/DVD drive was working and now has stopped. I have also added two external CD/DVD drives. One drive is a Blu-ray and the other is a standard CD/DVD drive burner/writer etc. I have made sure Windows 10 is updated, I have also tried just update the drivers and...
  7. map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder: I have a SSD for C: and internal Drive D: I would like to create 2 batch files that I start manually. How to: 1. If I connect my external drive I want the internal drive become E: and the external should be D: On another PC: 2. Let's say I have a folder...
  8. External drive mapped to folder has driver problem

External drive mapped to folder has driver problem: In Windows 10 Pro, I have a 500 GB SSD as C:, a 3 TB partitioned into D:, E:, and F:, a 4 TB as G:, and a 3 TB as H:. My Synology NAS has 3 partitions as V:, W:, and X:. I have 2 CD/DVD RW as Y: and Z:. I have 13 external HDDs and SSDs in various drive bays and enclosures...
  9. Disconnect internal hard drive externally

Disconnect internal hard drive externally: Being anal about backups and having issue after issue with Win 10, I need a way to physically disconnect/reconnect an internal backup hard drive with out cracking open the case and unplugging it. All of my hard drives are ssd. Ron 98831
  10. How to convert an internal drive to external?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to convert an internal drive to external?: I will be removing a Dell's OEM mechanical HD and installing an SSD then installing Windows 10 clean. Although the mechanical HD is a dog I'm thinking that it would serve just fine as a USB/Macrium Reflect destination for this laptop. Is it possible to buy a 'box' that...