Windows 10: Mapped Drive not remembering server credentials

Discus and support Mapped Drive not remembering server credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a mapped drive point to a static IP address for a server to enable file access when offsite. I am trying to set up a new surface pro 4 using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JesseM1981, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Mapped Drive not remembering server credentials

I have a mapped drive point to a static IP address for a server to enable file access when offsite. I am trying to set up a new surface pro 4 using windows 10 pro build 1803 and it keeps asking for credentials everytime i log out and in on the SP4. I mapped it in file explorer using \\xx.xx.xxx.xxx\folder and have checked the box for save these credentials. I have ensured that in credential manager it is saved correctly but everytime i log back in it disconnects the drive and prompts me for the PIN from windows setup (which we don't use and our server does not recognize). The other challenge is that the username to access the server is different from the MS account user name to log into windows.

I have other SP4s with the mapped drive and it does not disconnect at log-off/log-on and they are running the same version of windows.

any help as to what i missed in mapping the drive?

:)

JesseM1981, Jan 15, 2019
  2. Allan Mej Win User

Saving credentials in network mapped drive

Hi Richard,

Credential Manager allows you to save and manage web and Windows credentials for circumstances like network drive mapping. If you have trouble logging in credentials every time you save/open/copy/edit files, kindly try these following methods:

Methods 1: Managing Credentials

• On the search box, search and open Credential Manager.
    • Click Windows Credentials and select Add a Windows Credential.
    • Fill in the required information and click OK.

Method 2: Allowing reconnection at log on.

• Open the File Explorer and select This PC.
    • Click Computer beside File tab on the upper-right corner and click Map network drive.
    • Browse to the drive that you want to remember your credentials and check
      Reconnect at sign-in.
    • Click Finish.

Note: If reconnect at sign-in does not work, try re-mapping the drive.

Also, if your PCs are not up-to-date, we recommend updating them because these issues may happen because of some bugs on Windows, and an updated PC may address this kind of issues.

Let us know how things go.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Jan 15, 2019
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    Windows Network Credentials

Hi Keith,

We suggest that you disable Credential Manager before mapping your Drives. Please follow these steps to disable Credential Manager:

• In the search box type “Services
    • Right click on “Services” and select “Run as Administrator
    • In the Services Window, look for Credential Manager Service and click “Stop”.
    • Restart the computer and go back the Credential Manager Service and set it to “Automatic”.
    • Restart the computer again.

Please keep us updated if you were able to map your drives.

Ryan Fra, Jan 15, 2019
  4. bro67 Win User

Mapped Drive not remembering server credentials

Can't map drive, says the resource is already in use with this user

First off, use "net use /d * /y" to clean up the old connections. Then the following: Windows 10. To remove previously cached/saved credentials on your workstation using the Windows Credential Manager under Windows 10, perform the following steps: Press the Windows key on the keyboard or click the Windows Start icon. Start typing Credential Manager, and select the Credential Manager icon.

Also make sure to restart smbd and nmbd on the Linux Server, by using "sudo /etc/init.d/smbd restart" and "sudo /etc/init.d/nmbd restart".

I would suggest looking up how to use Net Login scripts to automatically map and mount the share when you log into windows.

bro67, Jan 15, 2019
Thema:

Mapped Drive not remembering server credentials

1. Mapped Drive not remembering server credentials - Similar Threads - Mapped Drive remembering

2. Windows remembers credentials for mapping network drives even when "Remember Credentials"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows remembers credentials for mapping network drives even when "Remember Credentials"...: There must be hundreds of posts complaining about Windows asking for credentials for various reasons: despite the fact that password protected sharing is turned off, for example.I am having the opposite problem. Windows is saving credentials for my network shares and...
  3. I want windows not to remember credential of specific mapped network share

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want windows not to remember credential of specific mapped network share: HiI want to remove "Remember my credentials" checkbox just for certain server Lets say servery when connecting.I want windows to always ask user name and password when connecting specific server shared folder\\servery\folder1. Rest of the servers credential password must...
  4. I want windows not to remember credential of specific mapped network share

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want windows not to remember credential of specific mapped network share: HiI want to remove "Remember my credentials" checkbox just for certain server Lets say servery when connecting.I want windows to always ask user name and password when connecting specific server shared folder\\servery\folder1. Rest of the servers credential password must...
  5. I want windows not to remember credential of specific mapped network share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. I Screwed up Drive Mapping with wrong Credentials

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I Screwed up Drive Mapping with wrong Credentials: Windows 10 Pro, version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1110) After doing a reset on a Windows 10 laptop, I tried to map to a drive on another PC that i was previously mapped to, when asked for credentials I stupidly entered the wrong user name and password. I got the usual error...
  7. vanishing logon credentials and mapped network drives

vanishing logon credentials and mapped network drives: I have Dell Vostro desktop with Win10 Pro and Office Professional 2019. After each restart I have to remap all network drives using Synology software. Outlook 2019 logon credentials keep disappearing many times a day even though there duly saved during email account...
  8. some mapped drives require admin credentials

some mapped drives require admin credentials: All, Recently, I had a 2008 R2 Standard server die. That was our main server but all essential user activity files/folders were being replicated on a Windows 2019 Standard server. I shut down the 2008 server and moved over to the 2019 sever. All users are on Win10 v1909. I...
  9. Windows Server 2016 mapped drives

Windows Server 2016 mapped drives: I recently installed two HP ML350 Gen10 servers for two different clients. The servers are running Server 2016 Standard edition. Both environments have around 5 PC with Win10 and Win7. Both sites are having issues when accessing mapped drives. Random times throughout the...
  10. Map a server to a drive letter

Map a server to a drive letter: Hi Guys, One of my clients ( I do a bit of freelancing) wants to map this server---------> The Eye | File Listing to a drive letter. he claims he uses it frequently and finds it much more easier as a drive letter.. I after a lot of researching did not find any solution.......

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows server 2012 not remembering shared network drive credentials

2. credential not stored for dmapped drive windows server 2016

3. windows credentials mapped drive

4. remembering credentials on mapped network drive,
  5. windows server re-mapping credentials ,
  6. issues with window credential when setting up a mapped drive,
  7. windows not remembering credentials mapped drive