Windows 10: Mapped drives and unc path

Discus and support Mapped drives and unc path in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am runing Windows 10 version 20H2 with all updates applied on a peer to peer network with drives mapped to a shared network location on a Win Server... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TimHartka, Jan 15, 2021.

1. TimHartka Win User

Mapped drives and unc path

I am runing Windows 10 version 20H2 with all updates applied on a peer to peer network with drives mapped to a shared network location on a Win Server 2012 R2. I also accesed other files from the server using the UNC path to the files. Suddenly both the mapped drives would not connect nor would the UNC path resolve. I recieve an error stating that the network name is no longer available. After trouble shooting I found that if I disconnect the mapped drives and rebooted, the UNC path would resolve, I then recreated the mapped drive and was able to access files via the mapped drive, but once the PC rebooted neither the mapped drive or UNC path worked. Deleting the mapped drives restored UNC path access once rebooted. I recreated the exact scenerio seceral times. I have taken the following actions to try to resolve:

1. reset permissions on the shared file locations.

2. deleted all windows credentials from system and re entered verified correct credentials.

3. Scrubbed registry of all references to server and server locations, then browsed to server, rentered credentials and remapped drives.

4. verified access from another Win 10 PC with exact same config.

5. ran sfc.

6. Ran antivirus scans and then disabled all antivirus software.

7. Deleted and reinstall nic card drivers.

8. used different set of verified network credentials.

9. Used one set of credentials for mapped drives then seperate credentials for the UNC path.

10. used different drive letters for mapping of drives.

11. tried mapping drives via net use, subst and using windows map drive function

as a final note a mapped drive to another server has continued to work with out issue through all of this.

I am at wits end, do not want to do a wipe and reinstall. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

TimHartka, Jan 15, 2021
  2. SueTeed Win User

Drive Letter Mapping reverts to UNC path

When I use a mapped drive letter in an icon in Windows 10, if I check the Run as Administrator on the icon properties, the icon then reverts to UNC path instead of using the drive letter mapping. Of course, if I don't run as Administrator, I don't have
    the permissions I need to run my program accessed by the icon.

SueTeed, Jan 15, 2021
  3. Can we no longer map a PATH (not just a drive)?

Hi,

Inability to map a path may occur due to configuration settings on your mapped drive. For us to properly isolate the case, supply more information by answering these questions:

• Which version and build of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Are you using a group policy to specify a path?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the part or option that is grayed out?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue?

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jan 15, 2021
  4. slimcode Win User

One specific UNC path suddenly not working on one specific Win10 machine

Hi,

A month or two ago, my main computer stopped being able to access my NAS' UNC path (\\corbeau\...). It used to work.

• I do not remember changing anything on that NAS
    • Other Win10 machines can access that same UNC path
    • The problematic machine can access the NAS by using its IP in the UNC path (\\192.168.2.10\...)
    • All machines can access other machines by their UNC path (\\cardinal\... or \\epervier\...)
    • A ping for the NAS name from the problematic machine fails to resolve
    • Pings from other machines work
    • Every machine can ping other machines by their name

I'm totally lost. Where should I look for to resolve this very annoying issue?

Thanks.

slimcode, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Mapped drives and unc path - Similar Threads - Mapped drives unc

2. UNC path can not be accesss

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    UNC path can not be accesss: How to access it?Unc path can not be accessed its showing network path can not be found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unc-path-can-not-be-accesss/9fc7277a-c1ec-4206-ae9c-4d37871cb3d7
  3. Trouble with one windows 10 machine and mapped drive vs. UNC path.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with one windows 10 machine and mapped drive vs. UNC path.: Hello, I'm having trouble with one windows 10 machine and mapped drive vs. UNC path, but it's only with one user. the mapped drive let's call it J:\ is very slow to present the contents of the drive, sometimes a long as 20 seconds or more. The computer presents a progression...
  4. Trouble with one windows 10 machine and mapped drive vs. UNC path.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble with one windows 10 machine and mapped drive vs. UNC path.: Hello, I'm having trouble with one windows 10 machine and mapped drive vs. UNC path, but it's only with one user. the mapped drive let's call it J:\ is very slow to present the contents of the drive, sometimes a long as 20 seconds or more. The computer presents a progression...
  5. Trouble with one windows 10 machine and mapped drive vs. UNC path.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Network Mapped drive is not accessible with Drive letter but accessible via UNC path...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Mapped drive is not accessible with Drive letter but accessible via UNC path...: Issue: Applications are unable to access the files using network mapped drive letter but accessible using UNC PathAzure VMWindows Server 2022 Datacenter Azure EditionCreated a file share from Azure storage and mounted as network drive in Azure VM using windows PowerShell...
  7. Network Mapped drive is not accessible with Drive letter but accessible via UNC path...

Network Mapped drive is not accessible with Drive letter but accessible via UNC path...: Issue: Applications are unable to access the files using network mapped drive letter but accessible using UNC PathAzure VMWindows Server 2022 Datacenter Azure EditionCreated a file share from Azure storage and mounted as network drive in Azure VM using windows PowerShell...
  8. UNC vs Mapped Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNC vs Mapped Drive: Hi, The organization I work for use windows services to run our service modules. While investigating and auditing our configuration, we've found that we are getting permission issue from using UNC and Mapped drive. Bottom line is; UNC has no issue. However, issue arises if I...
  9. UNC vs Mapped Drive

UNC vs Mapped Drive: Hi, The organization I work for use windows services to run our service modules. While investigating and auditing our configuration, we've found that we are getting permission issue from using UNC and Mapped drive. Bottom line is; UNC has no issue. However, issue arises if I...
  10. UNC vs Mapped Drive

in Windows 10 Customization