Windows 10: Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have several mapped drives on Windows 10. All have been for years. The past month or so, two of them have been hanging up File Explorer. They are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by giiancarlo, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer

I have several mapped drives on Windows 10. All have been for years. The past month or so, two of them have been hanging up File Explorer. They are not red-x'd out. Yet, when I click on them, they don't open. Rather, File Explorer becomes non-responsive. I eventually have to Restart File Explorer using Task Manager.

What seems to work is unmapping and re-mapping. When I unmap, it takes an ungodly amount of time. When I re-map, it re-maps quickly.

Answers or suggestions?

:)

giiancarlo, Sep 25, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 25, 2020
  3. fatpat Win User
    Mapped Drives Issues

To clarify .... the issue is the Windows 10 OS. It is with Windows File Explorer. The Mapped drives used to appear in File Explorer's left panel list of drives and folders. Two days ago File explorer stopped show the mapped drives. so not they don;t appear in the list of Drives and folders.

- - - Updated - - -

I did, it has no effect. I also check the NAS devices they support SMB 2.0. Also I have several other computers on my home network they work fine with the mapped drives and They do not have SMB 1 turned on. So it is something that happened to the computer in question.

fatpat, Sep 25, 2020
  4. NDarkstar Win User

Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer

Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Wanted to mention that I'm experiencing this same issue. Environment here is a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain with network shares and printers mapped by GPO. GPO drive mappings are not on a per-user basis and instead are global for all users.

Affected user can not access mapped drives via explorer, yet NET USE shows drives mapped as expected. Attempting to remap network drives via explorer results in a prompt stating that the connection is already mapped to that drive letter, do I want to disconnect and reconnect it?

Oddly, using applications that provide an 'open document' dialogue can see and access mapped network drives normally. For example, open Word, file -> open -> browse: Left pane shows network shares, clicking on network share shows share contents. Clicking on 'This PC' shows all mapped drives which are navigable and documents can be opened normally. Doing this does not correct the issue with Explorer. Similarly, a command prompt also operates as expected, so it's possible to change to a mapped network drive by the associated letter and to list / copy / delete files normally.

Issue appears to be limited to a single user profile on the workstation displaying the described symptoms. Logging in as another user results in the drives being mapped and accessible as usual. Symptoms persist through reboot. User account with symptoms does not have admin access locally or on the domain.

NDarkstar, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer

1. Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Mapped Drives hanging

2. Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer: Hi,I am setting up a new MS Surface with Windows 10 Pro that is joined successfully to our corporate domain with a domain user profile configured. I've done this hundreds of times, but for some reason, this particular machine won't show the mapped drives, which are in Azure I...
  3. Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer: Hi,I am setting up a new MS Surface with Windows 10 Pro that is joined successfully to our corporate domain with a domain user profile configured. I've done this hundreds of times, but for some reason, this particular machine won't show the mapped drives, which are in Azure I...
  4. Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer: For the past month, File Explorer has crashed. They are not marked with a red X however when I click on them they do not open. Rather, File Explorer stops responding. I eventually have to restart File Explorer using Task Manager.What seems to work is unmap and remap. When I...
  6. Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer

Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer: For the past month, File Explorer has crashed. They are not marked with a red X however when I click on them they do not open. Rather, File Explorer stops responding. I eventually have to restart File Explorer using Task Manager.What seems to work is unmap and remap. When I...
  7. Mapped Drives hanging Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.: Why do I not see the option for Mapping Network Drive under more options and under This PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-network-drive-in-file-explorer/f3a47487-dea4-4284-9ed0-f97bad2de702
  9. Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.

Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.: Why do I not see the option for Mapping Network Drive under more options and under This PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-network-drive-in-file-explorer/f3a47487-dea4-4284-9ed0-f97bad2de702
  10. File explorer slow/hangs when mapped drive not available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer slow/hangs when mapped drive not available: Hi all, I have mapped network drives that are only available when my laptop is connected to certain networks work, home, etc. When I open file explorer when I have mapped drives not in my current network, it's very slow to open the "This PC" view, and the progress bar just...