Windows 10: Mapped Drives interminently diconnect from windows resulting in backup failure.

Discus and support Mapped Drives interminently diconnect from windows resulting in backup failure. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After a clean install through lenovo official restore and recovery tool and back to version 1903 I managed to solve some problems i have with my NAS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AMTME, May 14, 2020.

1. AMTME Win User

Mapped Drives interminently diconnect from windows resulting in backup failure.

After a clean install through lenovo official restore and recovery tool and back to version 1903

I managed to solve some problems i have with my NAS drive for example now i can see the NAS through net view command.

Besides one very serious issue remains. When i try to back up targeting the NAS the backup always fails resulting in the Acronis True image software giving an error that cannot locate the path to the backup folder and to check the access to the mapped drive.

I have allready checked and the issue seems to be that windows briefly either disconnect and reconnect the drive or lose connection resulting on this error.

So far i have set all rellative services to auto from manual, I have eabled NETBios over TCP/IP and tried with both SMB1 active and not active.

Also i checked the connectivity of the NAS while it seems disconnected on the network tab through the ping command on cmd and it is online same result with net view and net use commands

I have found out that most people who have faced the problem solved it by changing the group policy settings for the mapped drivers from disconnect/reconnect to update. Unfortunatelly that works only if you are on a server machine i have a local machine.

Any ideas how that could be solved? I am pretty sure its an OS realted issue.....

For clarification the NAS is hooked with a static IP on the router and i have reserved a specific IP for the MAC address of the PC.

:)

AMTME, May 14, 2020
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, May 14, 2020
  3. Changing Destination Drive for Backup in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type in Backup and Restore.
    • Under Backup or restore your files select set up backup.
    • Once the set up starts you'll get an option to choose the destination drive.
    • And then follow the onscreen instructions.

For additional information refer to the link below and check if this helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/backup-and-restore-in-windows-10

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, May 14, 2020
  4. simrick Win User

Macrium Reflect Backup Failures

Hi.
    I don't understand why you're contacting Dell and MS? *Confused
    I thought we were going to try my instructions in post #115?
    Those steps need to be performed, in that order.
    A repair install should not be done until post #115 is completed and results known for each step, where appropriate.

simrick, May 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Mapped Drives interminently diconnect from windows resulting in backup failure. - Similar Threads - Mapped Drives interminently

2. Windows Backup Results in 0x8078011E

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup Results in 0x8078011E: I am encountering the following problem: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-error-0x8078011e-efi-system-partition-esp/8de69116-dee4-4b3b-a9f7-e917741530aa?auth=1&page=2 I have tried a clean boot and it still occurs. I do not have Avast installed...
  3. MemoryDiagnostics-Results Failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MemoryDiagnostics-Results Failure: I have issues with my Windows 10 PC crashing unexpectedly. I ran the MemoryDiagnostics scan and it appeared to run, detecting no errors but when my system re-booted, there were no results displayed in the event log. I repeated the process with the same result- test ran,...
  4. Restoring Windows 7 backup to a mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring Windows 7 backup to a mapped network drive: [ATTACH] I recently got a new windows 10 machine and I'm trying to restore some of my backups made with the windows 7 backup utility. Everything seems to work fine until I try to choose a network drive as a restore location. At first, it just didn't even show up as a...
  5. Accessing AOL mail results in internet diconnecting.

in Browsers and Email
    Accessing AOL mail results in internet diconnecting.: Odd issue I'm having. As the title says. I can be browsing all over the web, but as soon as I click/access AOL mail (https://mail.aol.com/) for the first time that day my browser just sits there and thinks for about 30 seconds, I get the "Cannot load page", and then my...
  6. No results found for Windows Backup...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    No results found for Windows Backup...: I thought this was kind of funny: [img] I'm pretty sure it was called "Windows Backup" in Windows 7... now it's just called "Backup". It seems like a search issue for a user when they search for Windows Backup and find nothing when Backup is literally to backup their...
  7. No results found for Windows Backup...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No results found for Windows Backup...: I thought this was kind of funny: [img] I'm pretty sure it was called "Windows Backup" in Windows 7... now it's just called "Backup". It seems like a search issue for a user when they search for Windows Backup and find nothing when Backup is literally to backup their...
  8. backup failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup failure: Every time I try to backup my WIN10 pc I get a failure message. I am informed that my empty 500gb external drive is too small for a backup. It appears that I need over 607gig for a backup to work. This seems way over the top to me as c: drive is only 506gb total. Any help...
  9. Backup Failure

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Failure: I'm Nnot my problem will have a solution. Stupidity reigns. Win10 1803.. I backed up a few different ways to my ext drive. I have have backups with xml files and one with zip files. Don't ask me how. I tried restoring and ended up with all the necessary thunderbird files...
  10. Map network drive results "the network folder is already mapped using....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Map network drive results "the network folder is already mapped using....: Map network drive results: the network folder is already mapped using..... Windows 10, no domain controller, all machines in "WORKGROUP" I can see the share from other PCs but not the new Win10 pc....