Windows 10: Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted

Discus and support Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a few machines in our network that can not view our mapped drives until their explorer.exe are restarted. They are receiving mapped drives via a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cjones2040, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted

I have a few machines in our network that can not view our mapped drives until their explorer.exe are restarted. They are receiving mapped drives via a GPO through update.

I have tried setting my registry entry to

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLinkedConnections to a DWORD of 1

The network locations are accessible if you enter them manually but the drives don't show up in explorer even after group policy update.

Windows 10 ver 1909

:)

Cjones2040, Dec 14, 2020

2. Mapped drives don't show in Explorer until Explorer restarted

Hi there,

I've been experiencing a strange issue lately for multiple users.

First, our drives are mapped via GPO. All drives map settings in the policy are consistent for all drives.

A mapped network drive is not visible at all in Explorer. Other drives are visible and connected. This includes mapped locations on the same server.

If I run 'net use' from the command prompt, I can see that the drive is mapped and the status is OK.

If I attempt to browse to the drive letter, eg G:, in Explorer, it says that it cannot be found.

If I then kill Explorer from the task manager and start it again, the drive will now show up in Explorer, and can be accessed.

There doesn't appear to be a pattern for this, I have only had it happen for random people at random times.

Has anyone else come across this issue before?

Thanks,

Adam

Adam_Lockington, Dec 14, 2020
  3. NDarkstar Win User
    Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Wanted to mention that I'm experiencing this same issue. Environment here is a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain with network shares and printers mapped by GPO. GPO drive mappings are not on a per-user basis and instead are global for all users.

Affected user can not access mapped drives via explorer, yet NET USE shows drives mapped as expected. Attempting to remap network drives via explorer results in a prompt stating that the connection is already mapped to that drive letter, do I want to disconnect and reconnect it?

Oddly, using applications that provide an 'open document' dialogue can see and access mapped network drives normally. For example, open Word, file -> open -> browse: Left pane shows network shares, clicking on network share shows share contents. Clicking on 'This PC' shows all mapped drives which are navigable and documents can be opened normally. Doing this does not correct the issue with Explorer. Similarly, a command prompt also operates as expected, so it's possible to change to a mapped network drive by the associated letter and to list / copy / delete files normally.

Issue appears to be limited to a single user profile on the workstation displaying the described symptoms. Logging in as another user results in the drives being mapped and accessible as usual. Symptoms persist through reboot. User account with symptoms does not have admin access locally or on the domain.

NDarkstar, Dec 14, 2020
  4. fatpat Win User

Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted

Mapped Drives Issues

To clarify .... the issue is the Windows 10 OS. It is with Windows File Explorer. The Mapped drives used to appear in File Explorer's left panel list of drives and folders. Two days ago File explorer stopped show the mapped drives. so not they don;t appear in the list of Drives and folders.

- - - Updated - - -

I did, it has no effect. I also check the NAS devices they support SMB 2.0. Also I have several other computers on my home network they work fine with the mapped drives and They do not have SMB 1 turned on. So it is something that happened to the computer in question.

fatpat, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted

1. Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted - Similar Threads - Mapped Drives showing

2. Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer: Hi,I am setting up a new MS Surface with Windows 10 Pro that is joined successfully to our corporate domain with a domain user profile configured. I've done this hundreds of times, but for some reason, this particular machine won't show the mapped drives, which are in Azure I...
  3. Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer: Hi,I am setting up a new MS Surface with Windows 10 Pro that is joined successfully to our corporate domain with a domain user profile configured. I've done this hundreds of times, but for some reason, this particular machine won't show the mapped drives, which are in Azure I...
  4. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: Anyone find a solution for this issue? Previous thread now locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-drives-not-showing-in-explorer-until/dcb20da0-a0b5-4ba9-a535-6af713e2041a?auth=1...
  5. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: Anyone find a solution for this issue? Previous thread now locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-drives-not-showing-in-explorer-until/dcb20da0-a0b5-4ba9-a535-6af713e2041a?auth=1...
  6. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

7. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: When I map drives through the UI on explorer I can't see them until explorer.exe is killed and restarted or a reboot I tried setting the registry entry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLinkedConnections to a DWORD...
  8. Mapped drive won’t connect until host restarts.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapped drive won’t connect until host restarts.: I mapped a folder from a computer on my network to my personal computer. Everything works fine for several hours and then all of a sudden it can’t connect to it. Once i reboot the computer hosting the folder, it can connect fine. What do you guys think? Ive checked sleep...
  9. Mapped drives don't show in Explorer until Explorer restarted

Mapped drives don't show in Explorer until Explorer restarted: Hi there, I've been experiencing a strange issue lately for multiple users. First, our drives are mapped via GPO. All drives map settings in the policy are consistent for all drives. A mapped network drive is not visible at all in Explorer. Other drives are visible...
  10. Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer: I have several server drives mapped to my Surface Pro 3 tablet, and from time to time they disappear from Windows Explorer and XYplorer (an Explorer replacement). They are still there and mapped, as Net Use shows them mapped properly. But to get them tho show up in either...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer not showing mapped drives until restart