Windows 10: Mapped network drives always show up as "unavailable" until I click on them

Discus and support Mapped network drives always show up as "unavailable" until I click on them in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a few mapped network drives from a server on my personal subnet. The server is 24/7 available, but the drives always have the small red "x" on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Modna, May 5, 2020.

1. /u/Modna Win User

Mapped network drives always show up as "unavailable" until I click on them

I have a few mapped network drives from a server on my personal subnet. The server is 24/7 available, but the drives always have the small red "x" on them after boot until I manually open each drive.

It's a windows 10 desktop on ethernet directly to the router, with the server also on ethernet.

Is there a fix for this? It seems windows checks for the network drive before the network connection has been established - and doesn't bother to check again

submitted by /u/Modna
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Modna, May 5, 2020
  2. DMyr Win User

Trouble Mapping Network Drive

I have a WD NAS drive connected to my router and have mapped it on three of my computers. I just setup another laptop with Windows 10 and have updated it to 1809 and when I tired Mapping a network drive nothing is displayed in the browse window except the
    computer I am currently using. The drive is shown under network locations in File Explorer but not when you select map network drive and browse. I right clicked on the drive and selected properties and noted the IP address and went back into Map network drive
    but instead of selecting browse I entered the IP address but it still does not map the drive. The strange part is if I go to any of the computers that already has the network drive mapped and select Map network drive and select browse none of those computers
    show the drive either but you can select the mapped drive in the drive list in file explorer and it works just fine.

I have read several articles both here and elsewhere and tried the suggestions but nothing works. Network discovery is turned on as is file sharing and also checked if all three boxes under SMB file sharing support in Windows features were also checked and
    they are. I have mapped several computers to several different drives over the years and anytime the drive was not listed it was always easy to go into Network Sharing Centre and find the problem but everything seems to be as it should so would appreciate
    if someone can suggest something I may have overlooked.

Thank you

DMyr, May 5, 2020
  3. NDarkstar Win User
    Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer

Wanted to mention that I'm experiencing this same issue. Environment here is a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain with network shares and printers mapped by GPO. GPO drive mappings are not on a per-user basis and instead are global for all users.

Affected user can not access mapped drives via explorer, yet NET USE shows drives mapped as expected. Attempting to remap network drives via explorer results in a prompt stating that the connection is already mapped to that drive letter, do I want to disconnect and reconnect it?

Oddly, using applications that provide an 'open document' dialogue can see and access mapped network drives normally. For example, open Word, file -> open -> browse: Left pane shows network shares, clicking on network share shows share contents. Clicking on 'This PC' shows all mapped drives which are navigable and documents can be opened normally. Doing this does not correct the issue with Explorer. Similarly, a command prompt also operates as expected, so it's possible to change to a mapped network drive by the associated letter and to list / copy / delete files normally.

Issue appears to be limited to a single user profile on the workstation displaying the described symptoms. Logging in as another user results in the drives being mapped and accessible as usual. Symptoms persist through reboot. User account with symptoms does not have admin access locally or on the domain.

NDarkstar, May 5, 2020
  4. Mapped network drives always show up as "unavailable" until I click on them

How to delete old share from showing up in network

Use these steps to remove a mapped network drive using Command Prompt:

1. Open Start.
    2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.
    3. Type the following command to delete the mapped network drive and press Enter: net use d: /delete In the command, replace the “d” for the drive letter of the mapped drive you’re trying to remove.

Code:
      In the command, replace the “d” for the drive letter of the mapped drive you’re trying to remove.

4. Restart your computer.

After you complete the steps, the mapped network drive should not longer be available on your device.

FreeBooter, May 5, 2020
Thema:

Mapped network drives always show up as "unavailable" until I click on them

1. Mapped network drives always show up as "unavailable" until I click on them - Similar Threads - Mapped network drives

2. Mapped Network Drives don't show up after reboot until I sign out and sign back in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped Network Drives don't show up after reboot until I sign out and sign back in.: As the title saysLately when I reboot my system, my network drives do not reconnect under "Network Locations" in "This PC"The only way I've got them back is by signing out and signing back in.Is there a fix so that the mapped drives show up at reboot.Edition Windows 11...
  3. Mapped Network Drives don't show up after reboot until I sign out and sign back in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapped Network Drives don't show up after reboot until I sign out and sign back in.: As the title saysLately when I reboot my system, my network drives do not reconnect under "Network Locations" in "This PC"The only way I've got them back is by signing out and signing back in.Is there a fix so that the mapped drives show up at reboot.Edition Windows 11...
  4. Map Drive not showing on network computers.

Map Drive not showing on network computers.: Hi,I'm trying to add a mapped drive on a pc that we are using as a basic file server. The pc already has shared folders which are accessible from all pc's without issue. The only reason we require the mapped drive is that one item of software is having issues without...
  5. Map Drive not showing on network computers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map Drive not showing on network computers.: Hi,I'm trying to add a mapped drive on a pc that we are using as a basic file server. The pc already has shared folders which are accessible from all pc's without issue. The only reason we require the mapped drive is that one item of software is having issues without...
  6. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: Anyone find a solution for this issue? Previous thread now locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-drives-not-showing-in-explorer-until/dcb20da0-a0b5-4ba9-a535-6af713e2041a?auth=1...
  7. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: Anyone find a solution for this issue? Previous thread now locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-drives-not-showing-in-explorer-until/dcb20da0-a0b5-4ba9-a535-6af713e2041a?auth=1...
  8. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted

Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted: I have a few machines in our network that can not view our mapped drives until their explorer.exe are restarted. They are receiving mapped drives via a GPO through update. I have tried setting my registry entry to...
  10. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: When I map drives through the UI on explorer I can't see them until explorer.exe is killed and restarted or a reboot I tried setting the registry entry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLinkedConnections to a DWORD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the mapped network could not be created because of the following error has occurred An extended error has occurred