Windows 10: Mapped Network Drives issue in Windows 10 version 1809

Discus and support Mapped Network Drives issue in Windows 10 version 1809 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you run a Windows 10 PC with mapped network drives you may want to hit the brakes to make sure that the Windows 10 October 2018 Update is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 15, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Mapped Network Drives issue in Windows 10 version 1809

If you run a Windows 10 PC with mapped network drives you may want to hit the brakes to make sure that the Windows 10 October 2018 Update is not deployed on the device.

Microsoft released, re-released to be precise, the latest feature update for Windows 10 two days ago after reports of major quality issues emerged on the Internet in early October which forced the company to stop the distribution of the update. It took Microsoft six weeks to release an updated version of the October 2018 Update to the public that addressed some of the reported issues.

A new support page, Mapped network drives don't work in Windows 10, version 1809, on the Microsoft website indicates that the re-released version is not without issues itself.

The official Windows 10 update history page for the feature update does not list the network drive mapping issue as a known issue; only the file association bug is listed there that plagues Windows 10 version 1803 users as well.

A bug in Windows 10 version 1809 prevents mapped network drives from being reconnected on system start. Mapped network drives are displayed with a red X-icon in Explorer and listed as unavailable when the "net use" command is run from the command prompt.

Mapped Network Drives issue in Windows 10 version 1809 windows-10-1809-mapped-network-drives.png

The error message "Could not reconnect all network drives" is displayed in the notification area.

Microsoft published a workaround on the support page; the company recommends that a script is run on affected systems that reconnects mapped network drives automatically when users sign in to the operating system.

Administrators need to copy the commands from the Microsoft support page and run these on startup; instructions to add the scripts to the startup, as a scheduled task, or in the Group Policy, are provided by Microsoft.

Susan Bradly notes, correctly, that the update should not have been released with a bug like this; especially, if the bug is not even listed on the main update history page for the new feature update for Windows 10.

She recommends that admins block the new feature update for the time being until things do get sorted out.

Microsoft released a statement yesterday in which it noted that update quality is better than it ever was (on Windows 10).

Administrators may want to monitor the support page as it seems to be the only option right now to find out when the issue is resolved.

Now You: did you update to Windows 10 version 1809 already?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Mapped Network Drives issue in Windows 10 version 1809 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 15, 2018
  2. CD[#]KM Win User

Windows 10 mapped drives not reconnecting after updating to 1809

This is definitely an issue with the 1809 update, as here is what we see and have done:

1. First, this is only affecting drives we have mapped to 2012 servers. It is not affecting a couple drives mapped to an old 2003 server (for testing).

2. If I create a new logon/profile, and map a drive, it connects fine. But after logging off and back on, it has the red x and needs to be opened to refresh. This happens if I map from Explorer and using the net use command.

3. Since the mapping to the old 2003 server works (SMB1.0), it is not likely a network or DNS issue. Plus the systems on my network that I have not installed the 1809 update on do not have the issue, just the few I updated.

4. I also tried mapping with the FQDN of the share and it still does the same thing with the red X's

5. Three patches/updates to 1809 update just came out, and I installed them, and they do not resolve the issue.

This issue is not listed as a known issue on the Windows 10 Update History/info page, so I am not confident that Microsoft is aware of this issue and is working on fixing it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

CD[#]KM, Nov 15, 2018
  3. AmirGh1 Win User
    Windows 10 mapped drives not reconnecting after updating to 1809

We have a few mapped network drives. These have worked until the Windows 10 1809 update. Now, none of the drive letters will automatically connect- the folders are all listed with their associated drive
    letters and each has a red cross. If I click on the red cross, they all connect OK and stay mapped while the PC is in use. After a restart, it’s the same.

Anyone any idea how to cure this?

AmirGh1, Nov 15, 2018
  4. Mapped Network Drives issue in Windows 10 version 1809

Create a shortcut to map a network drive windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are willing to create a shortcut to map a network drive. I would suggest you to refer the steps provided in the articles mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

Note: These articles are for Windows 7/8/8.1 but steps holds good for Windows 10 too.

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any more concern related to Windows. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

Mapped Network Drives issue in Windows 10 version 1809

1. Mapped Network Drives issue in Windows 10 version 1809 - Similar Threads - Mapped Network Drives

2. Issues with mapping Onedrive as a Network Drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with mapping Onedrive as a Network Drive.: Hi all,I've been mapping a Onedrive location as a Network Drive on Win 11 for a while now, but recently the mapping has died. It coincides with changing the securities for the Microsoft account it is associated with. On the home PC, after I reverted the Microsoft account back...
  3. Issues with mapping Onedrive as a Network Drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with mapping Onedrive as a Network Drive.: Hi all,I've been mapping a Onedrive location as a Network Drive on Win 11 for a while now, but recently the mapping has died. It coincides with changing the securities for the Microsoft account it is associated with. On the home PC, after I reverted the Microsoft account back...
  4. Windows 10: Map a network drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Map a network drive.: Hi Greg, I read your reply on 'Map a network drive'. It is helpful, but my question, about mapping a network drive, is a little different. Am helping a colleague map a network drive. Have granted Full Access to that colleague's account.While browsing and selecting the drive,...
  5. Issue with Map Network Drive Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Map Network Drive Windows 11: For my company, we have a main UPS computer that all other computers connect to remotely on the network.We have always make a Map Network Drive to the UPS Computer. We have been doing this for years. But when I tried it yesterday on our newest computer, the new computer can...
  6. Issue with Map Network Drive Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with Map Network Drive Windows 11: For my company, we have a main UPS computer that all other computers connect to remotely on the network.We have always make a Map Network Drive to the UPS Computer. We have been doing this for years. But when I tried it yesterday on our newest computer, the new computer can...
  7. Version 2004 network issues when drives are mapped

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Version 2004 network issues when drives are mapped: Hi, Ive got quiet a few access points and switches dotted around. Couple of NAS drives. These work great. I map them as drive letters and all works great. Diff story for a couple drives connected to access point and routers USB port. If I map any folder on these drives they...
  8. Map Network Drive issue

Map Network Drive issue: I have three NAS units attached to my LAN. Their names differ only in the first letter. I Map network drives for example NET USE A: \\Aserver\x /Persistent:Yes NET USE B: \\Bserver\x /Persistent:Yes or by the Map Network Drive in the GUI This is all OK. However, when...
  9. Mapping Network Drive Issues

Mapping Network Drive Issues: We have a external hard drive attached to our router that is accessible to our small business on our network. We have 3 other computers (2 Windows and 1 Mac) that are accessing it now. But we got 2 new computers that were just added to the network and I can not find the drive...
  10. Mapped network drives don't work in Windows 10 version 1809

in Windows 10 News
    Mapped network drives don't work in Windows 10 version 1809: Symptoms You experience the following issues in Windows 10, version 1809: In Windows Explorer, a red X appears on the mapped network drives. Mapped network drives are displayed as Unavailable when you run the net use command at a command prompt. In the notification area, a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb4495666 issues version 1809

2. issue with mapped drives and windows 1809

3. the error message could not reconnect all network drives is displayed in the notification area.

4. windows 10 1809 iso mapped drives jan_2019,
  5. windows 10 1809 unable to map a drive issue