Windows 10: Mapping a Network Drive + Shortcut

Discus and support Mapping a Network Drive + Shortcut in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm using this piece of code in a batch file to map the network drive. However, I'd like it to make a shortcut of that folder on the desktop and rename... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sassriverrat, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Mapping a Network Drive + Shortcut

I'm using this piece of code in a batch file to map the network drive. However, I'd like it to make a shortcut of that folder on the desktop and rename it. What would I add to the code to do that?

Also, ideally, it would be nice if this piece of code set the icon for the shortcut equal to an icon file located within the network drive. Thanks!

Code:
    @echo Create new M: drive mapping

u/net use L: \\Network path

/persistent: yes

submitted by /u/Sassriverrat
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sassriverrat, Apr 26, 2020

2. Create a shortcut to map a network drive windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are willing to create a shortcut to map a network drive. I would suggest you to refer the steps provided in the articles mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

Note: These articles are for Windows 7/8/8.1 but steps holds good for Windows 10 too.

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any more concern related to Windows. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Apr 26, 2020
  3. DMyr Win User
    Trouble Mapping Network Drive

I have a WD NAS drive connected to my router and have mapped it on three of my computers. I just setup another laptop with Windows 10 and have updated it to 1809 and when I tired Mapping a network drive nothing is displayed in the browse window except the
    computer I am currently using. The drive is shown under network locations in File Explorer but not when you select map network drive and browse. I right clicked on the drive and selected properties and noted the IP address and went back into Map network drive
    but instead of selecting browse I entered the IP address but it still does not map the drive. The strange part is if I go to any of the computers that already has the network drive mapped and select Map network drive and select browse none of those computers
    show the drive either but you can select the mapped drive in the drive list in file explorer and it works just fine.

I have read several articles both here and elsewhere and tried the suggestions but nothing works. Network discovery is turned on as is file sharing and also checked if all three boxes under SMB file sharing support in Windows features were also checked and
    they are. I have mapped several computers to several different drives over the years and anytime the drive was not listed it was always easy to go into Network Sharing Centre and find the problem but everything seems to be as it should so would appreciate
    if someone can suggest something I may have overlooked.

Thank you

4. Mapping a Network Drive + Shortcut

Copying or moving files to and from a mapped network drive fails in Windows 10 Home

Hi Matthias,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about sharing files on network drive.

Kindly let us know if your device is connected to domain network.

If not connected I suggest you to try the below:

Make sure Network discovery is turned on and both the computer is in same home group. Steps to follow:

• Open Control Panel window
    • Select Network and Sharing Center
    • Select Change advanced sharing settings
    • Under Network Discovery, select Turn On network discovery

Also refer to Microsoft article about: Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Mapping a Network Drive + Shortcut

1. Mapping a Network Drive + Shortcut - Similar Threads - Mapping Network Drive

2. Map network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Map network drive: I have been trying to mount one of my home directory on my computer. For that , I have to use Map network drive but I could not find in my file explorer. Now, what should I do to get that option back on my computer?...
  3. Network drive mappings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network drive mappings: I have a vintage NAS: Blackarmor 220. I have to use drive mappings to access files on the drive because Microsoft decided I couldn't use what used to work. Periodically, a new version of Windows 11 is installed and all of my drive mappings to my NAS stop working. Often, I can...
  4. Mapping Network Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping Network Drives: Both my PC and my Wife's laptop are running Win 11 with no problems.I managed to map the laptop C drive to my PC but when I tried the other way around I accidentally mapped my public drive to her laptop.I have unmapped it; however, when I try to map my C drive to her laptop,...
  5. Mapping Network Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping Network Drives: Both my PC and my Wife's laptop are running Win 11 with no problems.I managed to map the laptop C drive to my PC but when I tried the other way around I accidentally mapped my public drive to her laptop.I have unmapped it; however, when I try to map my C drive to her laptop,...
  6. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapping a network drive: I'm trying to connect to a webdav server via the "map network drive feature". I feel like i've had success in the past with entering https://192.168.1.45:5201<---- thats not a real link I can connect to it everywhere else... submitted by /u/rexlx [link] [comments]...
  7. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping a network drive: I am trying to map a network drive from one Windows 10 PC to a shared USB drive on another Windows 10 PC. I have two USB drives in this PC. One I can share successfully. When I try to map to the other one it keeps asking for Windows credentials. I have password protected...
  8. Network drives not mapping

Network drives not mapping: Windows 10 1909. I set up a few network drive maps via explorer with the box checked to reconnect at logon. When the user logs in the drive maps aren't there any more, which is really annoying because some of the apps come from the server. I've seen other posts that say I...
  9. Map Network drive

Map Network drive: Having an issue with mapping network drive with my local Netgear device. The id/password for attaching to the netgear device is local to the device and is not joined to a domain. My windows 10 laptop is joined to a domain. When I try to map a drive, such as...
  10. Map Network Drive

Map Network Drive: What to do with the following error: "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: We can't sign you in with this credential because your domain isn't available. Make sure your device is connected to your organization's network...