Windows 10: Mapping as a network drive function not working properly

Discus and support Mapping as a network drive function not working properly in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I'm running a Windows 10 Pro 64bit desktop PC and I'm trying to map network drives. I have always been able to map them correctly using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by aepete02, Dec 15, 2016.

1. aepete02 Win User

Mapping as a network drive function not working properly

Hello,

I'm running a Windows 10 Pro 64bit desktop PC and I'm trying to map network drives. I have always been able to map them correctly using the IP Address of the drive and browsing. But for some reason recently (I realized I forgot to map a drive, so I went to add it) I have not been able to. I go to the network drive mapping wizard, type in the IP address and hit browse like I did before and the drive doesn't appear, other PCs I can connect to do, but not the drive. I also tried hitting finish instead of browse and it gives me an error of "Windows cannot access \\ Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve nbetwork problems, click diagnose." I diagnose, and it finds no issues.

When I try instead to map it as a network location, I type in the IP address and click browse, and the drive is there and can map as a network location. But not as a drive. And I have NO idea why. All network sharing is turned on, and I've been searching forums to try to find the solution and haven't found anyone with exactly the same problem yet. I've tried various things and still no luck.

:)

aepete02, Dec 15, 2016
  2. GTS-NJ Win User

Windows 10 bug - USB Drive vs NAS drive mapping conflict

This is a well known long standing Windows issue. Windows does not properly exclude mapped network drives when enumerating USB storage devices. The best practice is to map network drives from the end of the alphabet to avoid it.

GTS-NJ, Dec 15, 2016
  3. Tayblazer Win User
    Windows 10 unable to map network drive Synolgy NAS

Just started having this problem over the weekend, not able to use "map a network drive" to map to my NAS shares even though it was fine previously. Tried everything on this thread with no success. Finally worked after downloading Synology Assistant
    and using its map a drive function.

Tayblazer, Dec 15, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

I have a network drive shared out on my router. I can map a drive letter to it using the drive mapping wizard by typing:
    \\ <IP address of router> \ <share name>

Are you sure the drive you want to map is still shared out on the device you are trying to connect to?

I see this thread is marked 'solved'. Does that mean you have sorted it out for yourself now?

Thema:

1. Mapping as a network drive function not working properly - Similar Threads - Mapping network drive

2. Map not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map not working properly: Using W11 on an HP desktop. Microsoft Maps does not function correctly. When I type in a road name a drop down menu offers me choices, When I click on one of them I get the message "We can't find ....." . If I use a postcode the location is found....
  3. Map not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Map not working properly: Using W11 on an HP desktop. Microsoft Maps does not function correctly. When I type in a road name a drop down menu offers me choices, When I click on one of them I get the message "We can't find ....." . If I use a postcode the location is found....
  4. Network drive mappings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network drive mappings: I have a vintage NAS: Blackarmor 220. I have to use drive mappings to access files on the drive because Microsoft decided I couldn't use what used to work. Periodically, a new version of Windows 11 is installed and all of my drive mappings to my NAS stop working. Often, I can...
  5. Mapping Network Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping Network Drives: Both my PC and my Wife's laptop are running Win 11 with no problems.I managed to map the laptop C drive to my PC but when I tried the other way around I accidentally mapped my public drive to her laptop.I have unmapped it; however, when I try to map my C drive to her laptop,...
  6. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapping a network drive: I'm trying to connect to a webdav server via the "map network drive feature". I feel like i've had success in the past with entering https://192.168.1.45:5201<---- thats not a real link I can connect to it everywhere else... submitted by /u/rexlx [link] [comments]...
  7. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping a network drive: I am trying to map a network drive from one Windows 10 PC to a shared USB drive on another Windows 10 PC. I have two USB drives in this PC. One I can share successfully. When I try to map to the other one it keeps asking for Windows credentials. I have password protected...
  8. Map Network drive

Map Network drive: Having an issue with mapping network drive with my local Netgear device. The id/password for attaching to the netgear device is local to the device and is not joined to a domain. My windows 10 laptop is joined to a domain. When I try to map a drive, such as...
  9. Map network drive not working in windows 10 solution

Map network drive not working in windows 10 solution: I have done the solution of windows 10. download MediaCreationTool1809 from windows website and install it after that restart your system and make sure your firewall is on condition.
  10. Map Network Drive

Map Network Drive: What to do with the following error: "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: We can't sign you in with this credential because your domain isn't available. Make sure your device is connected to your organization's network...