Windows 10: maps hangs when asked to get directions?

Discus and support maps hangs when asked to get directions? in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; win 10 maps hangs when instructed to get directions... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by IanSpilsted, Aug 28, 2019.

1. maps hangs when asked to get directions?

win 10 maps hangs when instructed to get directions

:)

IanSpilsted, Aug 28, 2019

2. Dynamically updating directions when using the Maps app

When using the Directions feature of the Maps app to generate directions from "My Location", some steps in the directions include distances to the next step. This is great, but this distance is not updated while driving, which means that it might say 20
    mi when the directions are generated, and still say 20 mi when you are only 0.5 mi when you are almost to the next step. This can sometimes make the directions confusing, or even cause you to miss the turn or exit or whatever, because you don't realize you
    are almost there. Your location on the map (the blue dot in a diamond) automatically moves to display your current location, so I don't see why the directions can't also get automatically updated so that distances stay correct (and, also, if you go off course,
    regenerated, so you don't need to specifically ask to have them regenerated).

Several other additions to the Maps' Directions feature that I would like to see, although not quite as important, are:

1. Arrows on the blue line showing which direction you will be heading at each point.

2. The ability to control whether you see the just the map, just the directions, or both.

3. Slightly more compact or distinct steps in the list of directions. I would rather see two steps that say "X Ave" with a turn left icon and "Y Ave" with a turn left icon than one step that says "X Ave and immediately turn left onto Y Ave" with a double
    left turn icon. I think that having only one street name per step (at least in the main heading of the step, I don't care if other street names are used or mentioned in the subtext/details of the step) makes it clearer what you need to do at each step.

Nathan Sokalski, Aug 28, 2019
  3. here maps hangs when finding directions

I am bringing my lumia 720 to the uk. Origin country is indonesia. Problem is that the Phone hangs whenever i try to find directions on here maps. Sometimes it Works when the destination is very close, like 5 mules away. But when my destination is 50 mules,
    the Phone hangs and i have to press the back button. This is very annoying. Anyine have an answer to this problem?

rasyidha---01, Aug 28, 2019
  4. lmr1 Win User

maps hangs when asked to get directions?

no directions on maps

Let me clarify - I wasn't referring to turn-by-turn voice directions. I was referring to the actual North/South/East/West directions within the text of the navigation instructions provided on the screen when using the maps app. Windows Phone 7 provided this
    information within the maps step-by-step instructions but Windows Phone 8 does not.

For instance, when going onto a freeway, Windows Phone 8 will typically have something like "Enter 101 Freeway" rather than "Enter 101 Freeway *NORTH* to San Jose".

Is this a known issue?

Thema:

maps hangs when asked to get directions?

1. maps hangs when asked to get directions? - Similar Threads - maps hangs asked

2. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used: I cannot get a third profile to map to a network drive on my laptop. Me, The administrator is mapped and working fine. 1 profileI created a new profile for my daughter and mapped the drive with no issues. 2nd profileI created a new profile for my son 3rd profile and when I...
  3. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used: I cannot get a third profile to map to a network drive on my laptop. Me, The administrator is mapped and working fine. 1 profileI created a new profile for my daughter and mapped the drive with no issues. 2nd profileI created a new profile for my son 3rd profile and when I...
  4. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Maps app can't get directions

Maps app can't get directions: The Windows 10 app usually slows to a crawl on my Dell laptop when I request directions. It can usually find a destination, but when I select another location to find directions from, it spins forever saying "getting directions," but an hour later it'll still be saying that....
  6. File explorer slow/hangs when mapped drive not available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer slow/hangs when mapped drive not available: Hi all, I have mapped network drives that are only available when my laptop is connected to certain networks work, home, etc. When I open file explorer when I have mapped drives not in my current network, it's very slow to open the "This PC" view, and the progress bar just...
  7. How to save directions in Microsoft Maps ?

How to save directions in Microsoft Maps ?: Look, if it is simply not possible to save a set of directions road trip! in Maps, just say so... I've seen the question posted several times, but never a response. I have to believe the Maps program allows you to save a set of directions, but heck if I can find it! thanks...
  8. Quick maps and directions on laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Quick maps and directions on laptop: I have Quickmapsanddirections on my windows 10 laptop. Microsoft safety scanner did not find it. What do I do next? Thank you. andy l https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/quickmapsanddirections/7d5b356d-76f6-4c1b-b7c0-bb8ddacc41c8
  9. Map app can not calculate directions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Map app can not calculate directions: My map app cannot give me directions for some needed routes. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/map-app-can-not-calculate-directions/57f0b3a2-18d9-48ff-99a1-1f4714fb8ad6
  10. Maps app travel time in directions function?

Maps app travel time in directions function?: Maps direction function results show travel time. Is the "heavy or moderate traffic hours" in parentheses included in the total shown??...