Windows 10: Marked the wrong partition as active

Discus and support Marked the wrong partition as active in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; While trying to solve a different problem i followed an article: You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup, 0xc1900104 In which i went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bitroix, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Bitroix Win User

Marked the wrong partition as active

While trying to solve a different problem i followed an article:
    You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup, 0xc1900104
    In which i went into disk managment and marked a different partition as active which does not have an OS, how can i revert back to the other partition which worked fine before?

:)

Bitroix, Aug 26, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 26, 2019
  3. unmark a partition as "active"

Hello Bob,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Please be informed that marking a partition as active on a basic disk means that the computer will use the loader (an operating system tool) on that partition to start the operating system. An active partition is a partition on a hard drive set as the bootable
    partition that contains the operating system. So it is not advisable to configure anything related to boot partition.

Please follow the below steps to unmark the partition as active:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• Type in diskpart and press Enter.
    • To identify which disk you need to work with. Type the command: list disk.

This will list all the drives connected to your computer.

• To select the disk enter the command: select disk n

"n" will correspond to the disk # for the ssd you are referring to.

• To list all the partitions on the disk enter the command:
      list partition

• To select a partition use: select partition n

Substitute "n" correctly and it will select the particular partitions on that drive.

• To unmark the current partition as active use the command line:
      inactive

• Exit the command prompt using command:
      exit

• Reboot the system to let the changes happen.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further assistance, we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 26, 2019
  4. Marked the wrong partition as active

unmark a partition as "active"

After changing to active partition my computer doesn't boot so what can I do now?

Ayush Chandra, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

Marked the wrong partition as active

1. Marked the wrong partition as active - Similar Threads - Marked wrong partition

2. a random partition appeared with a question mark

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    a random partition appeared with a question mark: im using windows 10 lately i have a random partition that appeared in my pc with a blue question mark it is unaccessible and all partition i have are named and functioning properlyand also my pc start doing disk repair every time i launch the pc i didnt find any solution i...
  3. a random partition appeared with a question mark

in Windows 10 Gaming
    a random partition appeared with a question mark: im using windows 10 lately i have a random partition that appeared in my pc with a blue question mark it is unaccessible and all partition i have are named and functioning properlyand also my pc start doing disk repair every time i launch the pc i didnt find any solution i...
  4. A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active.

A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active.: Code: DISKPART> list volume Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume 0 Z DVD-ROM 0 B No Media Volume 1 C Windows 10 NTFS Partition 80 GB Healthy Boot Volume 2 Recovery NTFS Partition 528 MB...
  5. Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive

Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive: I have two storage devices in my PC. One is a 128GB SSD which is used as the System disk (where I installed my OS) and the other is a 1 TB HDD which is used for keeping my usual files, docs, movies etc. As I have mentioned, Windows 10 is installed in the SSD, I never...
  6. Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive: I have two storage devices in my PC. One is a 128GB SSD which is used as the System disk (where I installed my OS) and the other is a 1 TB HDD which is used for keeping my usual files, docs, movies etc. As I have mentioned, Windows 10 is installed in the SSD, I never...
  7. Windows marks the wrong text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows marks the wrong text: I have an issue that is really starting to get annoying. I have had it for years, but its getting annoying lately. Sometimes if i try to mark a word or some text in my browser or somewhere else, windows seems to mark a lot of words and text that im not pointing at with my...
  8. Why is Mark Partition Active Greyed out in Disk Management?

Why is Mark Partition Active Greyed out in Disk Management?: Hi, Yesterday I used Disk Management on a couple of 16GB USB flash drives to create a New Simple Volume ran a Full Format on them both as FAT32 with a single partition. Both of them are set up as MBR drives so theres no issue there. Then I decided I'd like to mark one of them...
  9. emails are wrongfully marked as junk

in Browsers and Email
    emails are wrongfully marked as junk: Hello, I have a problem with Gmail. Some emails will automatically always be placed in the JUNK folder. In the SPAM folder there is a way to indicate that an email is not spam. This possibility does not exist in the JUNK folder. How can I indicate that some Gmail...
  10. windows wouldn't shut down, then marked wrong partition active

in Windows 10 Support
    windows wouldn't shut down, then marked wrong partition active: My dad's PC wouldn't shut down it would hang forever on the spinning circle. I had him try a bunch of things but I accidentally marked the C partition as active. This prevented the machine from booting. I used the win10 disk and had him mark it inactive with DISKPART...