Windows 10: MASSIVE data usage from "System" on Windows 10 Pro - Over 1TB / month

Discus and support MASSIVE data usage from "System" on Windows 10 Pro - Over 1TB / month in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro, version 1803, build 17134.407. I've blown through my monthly data cap because 'System' is using 1.3TB of data,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Max Dietz, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Max Dietz Win User

MASSIVE data usage from "System" on Windows 10 Pro - Over 1TB / month

I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro, version 1803, build 17134.407. I've blown through my monthly data cap because 'System' is using 1.3TB of data, while all my other programs combined have only used 20GB! What is this?!

Before you answer, keep in mind I rarely download programs, I'm fairly adept with computers, and have both Malwarebytes and Windows Defender running, along with a firewall monitoring program called Glasswire. I've already read several threads similar to this, and the solutions have not helped me. I've already tried scanning with both Malwarebytes and Defender, and they found no malware or malicious programs.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I cannot figure this out on my own.

:)

Max Dietz, Nov 30, 2018

2. Data usage is over 1Tb in one month

Hi

So the other week i noticed the data usage for "System" was over 1TB in one month. I have seen another user say how they used about 90GB but this is far beyond that. Could this be correct ? it seems mad that this amount of data has been used since if i
    was on a limit this would have cost an absolute fortune !
    MASSIVE data usage from "System" on Windows 10 Pro - Over 1TB / month 52e4fbbf-255d-45b9-828d-1220170d728a?upload=true.png

Im_Michael, Nov 30, 2018
  3. MASSIVE data usage from "system"

Bandwidth consumption depends on the online activities that you’re performing on your computer. To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution for your concern with data usage, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• Are you using any online programs or playing online games on your computer?
    • Are you streaming high resolution videos in your browser? If yes, how frequent is it?
    • Are you sharing your WiFi or Internet connection? If yes, how many users has connected to it?
    • Do you have a WiFi password?
    • Have you downloaded any large files on your computer?
    • Do you have any other Internet related activities done on this month?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Kindly provide us a screenshot of your process in the Task Manager. In this way, we will determine which programs consume your bandwidth on the
      Network column. To open it, follow the steps below:
    1. Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open Task Manager.

2. Click the Processes or
    App historytab.

3. Send us the screenshot.

We're looking forward to your response.

Johann Eva, Nov 30, 2018
  4. MASSIVE data usage from "System" on Windows 10 Pro - Over 1TB / month

Windows 10 high system data usage

We appreciate the additional information. Windows update is one of the possible cause why the system data usage is high. If you prefer to disable automatic updates to avoid high data usage, follow the steps below:

• Type gpedit.msc in the search bar, then press Enter
      to open Local Group Policy Editor.
    • Browse the following path:
      • Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
    • Locate Configure Automatic Updates, then double-click it.
    • Check the Enabled option to enable the policy.
    • Under Options, change it to option 2 (Notify for download and notify for install).
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Martin Bar, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

MASSIVE data usage from "System" on Windows 10 Pro - Over 1TB / month

1. MASSIVE data usage from "System" on Windows 10 Pro - Over 1TB / month - Similar Threads - MASSIVE data usage

2. 'System' data usage over 25GB; how do I decrease System data usage?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'System' data usage over 25GB; how do I decrease System data usage?: My data usage is currently over 25GB in the last 24 hours. It's the same in the last 30 days too.I'm wondering how I can decrease data usage in my System, and wondering why and how it's so high. I'm trying to install a game, and it's downloading at around 20 Mbps, when it...
  3. 'System' data usage over 25GB; how do I decrease System data usage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'System' data usage over 25GB; how do I decrease System data usage?: My data usage is currently over 25GB in the last 24 hours. It's the same in the last 30 days too.I'm wondering how I can decrease data usage in my System, and wondering why and how it's so high. I'm trying to install a game, and it's downloading at around 20 Mbps, when it...
  4. Massive data usage by "System" in network usage statistics.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Massive data usage by "System" in network usage statistics.: What could be causing this? I have downloaded a few games on Gamepass, but nowhere near 1tb+ They only add up to 150gb. None of the games have updated. I'm currently using a 4g unlimited connection but unfortunately my 4g provider has a FUP fair usage policy and i don't...
  5. Massive data usage by "System" in network usage statistics.

Massive data usage by "System" in network usage statistics.: What could be causing this? I have downloaded a few games on Gamepass, but nowhere near 1tb+ They only add up to 150gb. None of the games have updated. I'm currently using a 4g unlimited connection but unfortunately my 4g provider has a FUP fair usage policy and i don't...
  6. Massive GPU usage spikes from "System" in Task Manager

Massive GPU usage spikes from "System" in Task Manager: I'm trying to record with OBS using an external capture card connected to my PS4. Usually when OBS is open, GPU usage in task manager is at between 20 and 30%, but every minute or so there is a sudden violent spike to 100% - causing my OBS encoder to overload - and the...
  7. system data usage in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    system data usage in windows 10: hello ! i have a big problem in data usage . I tried alot to solve it but im not successful. i change the setting in gpedit.msc but already system is using data . i set my connection as merted but already system is using data . i change the setting in msconfig but it...
  8. High data usage from System

in Windows 10 Customization
    High data usage from System: I am using Windows 10 Home Edition on a laptop. The System seems to be sucking away tremendous data without my knowledge. I have my Wi-Fi set up as metered (and tried disabling regsvr32.exe which I saw in another forum). I can't seem to find any solutions online that solves...
  9. data over usage by cortana.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    data over usage by cortana.: After getting update to latest win 10 version. Alot of data usage is done by the cortana. which makes slower to operate other task on win 10. I think cortana is malware. Need to get rid of that thing....
  10. HELP Pot Player massive data usage

HELP Pot Player massive data usage: on data usage> usage details it is showing PotPlayerMini64 used 2.42 GB of data. it is unusual for a media player to use that amount of data, is it ok? bug in the data usage app maybe? thanks in advance! 55782