Windows 10: Master audio doesnt do anything other than mute

Discus and support Master audio doesnt do anything other than mute in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've run into a problem, my master audio doesn't do anything other than mute all sound. App audio isn't dependant on the master volume, so I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by chili[A], Nov 8, 2019.

1. chili[A] Win User

Master audio doesnt do anything other than mute

I've run into a problem, my master audio doesn't do anything other than mute all sound. App audio isn't dependant on the master volume, so I can't change the volume of anything without manually going into the sound mixer and setting the volume of an app to a needed level. I was wondering if there was a fix to this, as it will probably become a big nuisance.

:)

chili[A], Nov 8, 2019
  2. David Haz Win User

Volume goes to zero and mute.

Hi William,

If the volume of your computer automatically mutes, it could be that the audio drivers are corrupted or damaged, or that there are software conflicts occurring within the system. As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the audio troubleshooter
    and lets Windows find and automatically resolve problems with your audio. Here's how to run the audio troubleshooter:

• Select the Start button, then type troubleshoot, and select
      Troubleshoot from the list of results. From there, select
      Playing Audio
      > Run the troubleshooter.

If the troubleshooter does not help resolve the problem with your volume settings, we suggest that you check Device Manager and update your sound card drivers. Updating would replace any corrupted or damaged components of the audio driver. Here's how to
    update your audio drivers through Device Manager:

• Open the Start button, then type device manager, and select
      Device Manager from the search results.
    • Under Sound, video and game controllers, right-click your sound card driver, then select
      Update Driver.
    • Select Search automatically search for updated driver software.
    If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you may look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions on how to install their driver.

If the above steps doesn't resolve the problem, feel free to post back to us.

David Haz, Nov 8, 2019
  3. Audio sound mute and un-mutes.

Hello,

Please provide us more information to help you further:

• How long have you been experiencing this problem?
    • Have you made any recent changes to the computer?
    • Have you updated the audio drivers?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab03

Method 2:

If the issue persists, then try to uninstall and re-install the audio driver.

• Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click On
      Device Manager
    • In the list of hardware categories, look for the device that you want to update, and then right-click on it to
      Uninstall.
    • Follow onscreen instructions to uninstall it.
    • To re-install, either you can restart the system or install the driver from the manufacturer’s website (recommended as they will have updated drivers).
    For reference:

Try all the steps provided in the link below and check if it helps.

Fix sound problems:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Anju Thekkethil, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Tendows Win User

Volume Mixer not showing muted app

The application was muted on Windows 10 with November update. Now I am using Anniversary update, on build 14393.10

The initial step did not help make Banished show up in the Volume Mixer, nor did the article.

Tendows, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Master audio doesnt do anything other than mute - Similar Threads - Master audio doesnt

2. Windows 10 Audio only mutes when all other audio sources are muted.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Audio only mutes when all other audio sources are muted.: Whenever I mute an app in Windows 10, the audio will still play as long as another app has audio playing. The YouTube video below shows me muting Minecraft, which will stay muted until I start the sound test for my headset.https://youtu.be/bKjd_Mi2rhsThe same issue happens if...
  3. Windows 10 Audio only mutes when all other audio sources are muted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Audio only mutes when all other audio sources are muted.: Whenever I mute an app in Windows 10, the audio will still play as long as another app has audio playing. The YouTube video below shows me muting Minecraft, which will stay muted until I start the sound test for my headset.https://youtu.be/bKjd_Mi2rhsThe same issue happens if...
  4. Windows 10 Audio only mutes when all other audio sources are muted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. system volume not controlling apps other than mute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system volume not controlling apps other than mute: Hi.I have a problem where the sound on apps is not affected at all by the master system volume, except mute.Regardless of the volume I have set at the system level, an individual app will play at the volume shown in the mixer.So if I have Edge at 100%, it will play at 100%...
  6. system volume not controlling apps other than mute

system volume not controlling apps other than mute: Hi.I have a problem where the sound on apps is not affected at all by the master system volume, except mute.Regardless of the volume I have set at the system level, an individual app will play at the volume shown in the mixer.So if I have Edge at 100%, it will play at 100%...
  7. Headphones master volume slider not doing anything

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones master volume slider not doing anything: At first Windows 10 suddenly stopped recognizing headphones. So I ran the troubleshooter, updated the drivers, the headphones work fine. Except they don't - despite my best efforts, the master volume slider of the headphones doesn't work, if I turn it all the way down or up...
  8. Headphones master volume slider not doing anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones master volume slider not doing anything: At first Windows 10 suddenly stopped recognizing headphones. So I ran the troubleshooter, updated the drivers, the headphones work fine. Except they don't - despite my best efforts, the master volume slider of the headphones doesn't work, if I turn it all the way down or up...
  9. Headphones master volume slider not doing anything

10. Computer won't do anything other than

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't do anything other than: Helping a friend with his laptop ! When it starts up it goes to the 4 blue windows in the middle of screen with a bunch of dots spinning, then it flashes "attempting to recover installation" then it flashes "Undo changes to this computer" ! Any thoughts on this ?? Thanks...