Windows 10: Master Boot Record

Discus and support Master Boot Record in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Okay, so I remove, from my laptop, the SSD with Windows 10 installed. Then I put in an different SSD and install Ubuntu. Now I put the SSD with Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by godzilla_304, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Master Boot Record

Okay, so I remove, from my laptop, the SSD with Windows 10 installed. Then I put in an different SSD and install Ubuntu. Now I put the SSD with Windows 10 back in the laptop alonside the SSD with Ubuntu. I turn on the laptop. What happens next?

-- Am I taken to BIOS and told to choose which OS to boot?

-- Does Windows take command and in doing so cause chaos: destroy the Ubuntu SSD?

-- Does the Ubuntu SSD even get recognised?

Let us say that the laptop system is a building managed by people independant of the Microsoft and Linux divisions (SSD's). And in this building there is a storage department. This department has many offices, of which, one is the SSD office. Is the SSD office going to show preferential/privileged treatment to Windows over Linux? For example:

Have the Windows 10 division (SSD) and the building's BIOS department (my laptop), or whoever, made an agreement that should any other non-Windows 10 division try to set up shop in the building the Windows 10 division be notified and consulted regarding any action to be taken?

-- Can the Ubuntu division (SSD) communicate with the building's staff without any third parties interfering/observing?

-- Is the building's BIOS department independant of external influence?

-- Hardware or software issue?

Memory (Division) > Storage (department) > SSD (office) -- if so, what is UEFI/BIOS: division, departmen, or office?

Jesus Christ. I hope this makes sense.

:)

godzilla_304, Feb 21, 2019
  2. mickmouse Win User

Master Boot Record

If I knew what steps to take to resolve this issue I would take them and not have to ask Microsoft for assistance.

I have one hard drive that has always been partitioned so that I have been running 2 instances of windows 7.

One my wife uses and the other is for my use.

When I turned on my pc a boot menu came up so I could choose

Windows 7 Trev or

Windows 7 Jane...

It has been this way for years and has always worked even though I have periodically re-installed either one or the other or both.

The Master Boot Record has always worked fine with no problems..

I have burned my copy of windows 10 to a dvd after first upgrading one of the windows 7 operating systems to get the licence key.

Then after formatting the partition I did a clean install of windows 10 on one partition and a clean windows 7 install on the other partition.

The master Boot Record is there. It says

Windows 10 Jane And

Windows 7 Trev.

So I can boot into the one I choose. However whenever I boot into windows 10 then after doing what I want to do on it and switch off my pc or reboot it. Then it boots straight into windows 10 so I quickly press the re-set button on my tower and after the
    post screen the boot screen returns and I can choose to boot into windows 7 but before it boots into windows 7 it wants to run a full disk check which can take hours unless I press a key to make it skip the check but it always comes up whenever I want to boot
    into windows 7 until I have let it do the check and NO it never finds any problems with the disk.

This only happens when I have used windows 10.

I cannot elaborate any more than this and you obviously have not read my initial post or you would not have asked question 3.

mickmouse, Feb 21, 2019
  3. Borg 386 Win User
    This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record | PCWorld

Borg 386, Feb 21, 2019
  4. Ryan Fra Win User

Master Boot Record

Can not record audio.

Hi,

We suggest that you run troubleshooting for Audio Recording by following these steps:

• Type troubleshooting on the search box.
    • Click View all.
    • Select Recording Audio.
    • Follow the steps to troubleshoot Recording Audio.

Let us know if you need further help.

Ryan Fra, Feb 21, 2019
Thema:

Master Boot Record

1. Master Boot Record - Similar Threads - Master Boot Record

2. Master boot recovery repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Master boot recovery repair: I tried going back to windows 10 32bit reformat and I tried booting flash drive and got this message ‍ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/master-boot-recovery-repair/f92f9251-d2e2-4229-95e9-44a1cd3174cc
  3. Master boot recovery repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Master boot recovery repair: I tried going back to windows 10 32bit reformat and I tried booting flash drive and got this message ‍ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/master-boot-recovery-repair/f92f9251-d2e2-4229-95e9-44a1cd3174cc
  4. Master boot recovery repair

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Accidentally set up an external drive as Master Boot Record - how can I now change this to GPT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally set up an external drive as Master Boot Record - how can I now change this to GPT: Hello - I've got a 6TB archival drive that on first use I accidentally set up as MBR, I guess meaning I can't access the full capacity, so I need to change this now to GPT - I can't see how to do this - can anyone help? Thanks in advance!...
  6. Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager: Hi, Today i was casually using my PC, when suddenly my screen freezed and I got the BSOD. Shortly after that the computer rebooted itself and instead of normally booting it displayed a message saying that I have to instert the proper boot device. I googled a bit and thought...
  7. This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record: A new malicious program now makes it even more difficult by completely locking victims out of their computers. The new Petya ransomware overwrites the master boot record (MBR) of the affected PCs, leaving their operating systems in an unbootable state, researchers from...
  8. New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record: And the news just keeps getting better *sarc. Take the time to make back ups & system images. System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Attackers are developing an aggressive new ransomware program for Windows machines that encrypts user files as well...
  9. Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive: I'm perplexed and frustrated. I have a legacy 64 bit dual core desktop (ASUS mobo). I have several Sata hard drives in it with the 4th partition of my 1 Terabyte drive containing my Windows 10 Professional boot OS. After converting another similar legacy machine to a NAS...
  10. Nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

in Windows 10 News
    Nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record: It’s hard enough for non-technical users to deal with ransomware infections: understanding public-key cryptography, connecting to the Tor anonymity network and paying with Bitcoin cryptocurrency. A new malicious program now makes it even more difficult by completely locking...